Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

BMC/Cold air ind kits - are they really worth it?

I currently run a standard airbox with K&N panel filter however I was looking into placing a filter in the wing type deal.

However I am debating if it is really worth spending money on. Does anybody have a before and after RR report to prove they work?

TBH I dont think the cost per bhp/torque increase is justified for these kits.

I'd say it is worth it for the noise alone :D Much nicer sound than a cone filter which are a bit ott in my opinion..

Stealth saw 7bhp from a BMC on a Golf Highline.

Of all the filters I've experimented with, it's the only one that seems to do anything. But as with all filters, it's hardly worth doing before and afters and the RR time / cost isn't justified.

LicklePaulie runs a GruppeM induction system on his and IIRC its quite similar to the BMC enclosed jobbie. There is a very different type of sound generated by that compared to the standard K&N cones.. and I think I prefer it!

Is the sound really all that difference from a K&N Cone with caf than it is to the BMC stuff? How much are we talking for BMC? I take it that it does really work though, ie does feed cold air to the engine? Sorry for the ignorance, dont know much about BMC

It still has the snarl, but the cone really does work to surpress it quite well.. so instead you have a nice middle ground between the heavily silenced stock sound from the normal airbox and the out and out growling of the K&N! :)

It's the outer casing of the BMC that reduces induction roar, and then the longer the cold air feed pipe, the quieter it gets also....and long inlet tracts are good for torque too.

I have a K&N cone at the end of my MAF under the wheel arch, which I had no choice about as it's all you can do when supercharging a VR, but the charger's turbulence off cam really quietens the induction roar and turns it into a muted growl....sounds cool. I would never run a K&N in the engine bay N/A though....nasty...

Sorry.. I meant casing, not cone. Was just me thinking a bit slower than I was typing.

I would never run a K&N in the engine bay N/A though....nasty...

Nasty as in bad for the car/engine or you dont like the noise?

Don't like the noise.... the induction resonance is strong at 4000rpm and I've had my dashboard shaking from it from certain filters....the K&N cone being one of them! They're OK down in the wheel arch though....

Hhhmmmm... I take it the resonance isn't as bad from the BMC cold air feed then? I actually like the noise of the K&N cone :) Mind you, I haven't heard the VR6 in any other situation so maybe I just don't know any better :-P

I had the K&N and then switched to the BMC recently. Both sound great IMO - K&N is louder and a bit rough and ready. BMC is smoother and more cultured sounding, but you pay for it (£160 retail).

I had the K&N and then switched to the BMC recently. Both sound great IMO - K&N is louder and a bit rough and ready. BMC is smoother and more cultured sounding, but you pay for it (£160 retail).

And do you notice any difference torque delivery? Better/worse/no change?

Just asking cos kevhaywire says that it's good for torque.

Kev was referring to the cold air inlet pipe. It's said that long inlet pipes help torque but it's unlikely you'll be able to tell the difference behind the wheel.

Induction kits are sold mainly for sound mate, so pick whichever sounds nicest to you! If bhp numbers are important then the BMC is probably your best bet, just don't expect to feel the difference!

Yes, the K+N cone is very loud, I would agree there! But it does make you grin.. :)

If I had to be pressed I would say that K+N compared to standard provides a little more urgency and pickup in the midrange, but tbh it's so hard to be objective that I wouldn't really want to stand up in court and state that.

What about these new K&N apollo kits etc? The filter is enclosed in a heat resistant cone and the cold air feed comes out the front.

just been hunting for an induction kit, and if it comes down to noise only, then I don't think I'll be stumping up £85 for a new K&N!

Tried to fit an old pipercross filter I had lying around, but it's neck is narrower than the VR6 intake so not putting it on.

Really want to hear a VR6 with an induction kit as everyone says they are mental!! Maybe hold out for a 2nd hand Ramair Pro Ram instead....

Just asking cos kevhaywire says that it's good for torque.

I noticed more of an improvement with BMC than any other filter and as said already, Stealth saw a 7hp improvement from a highline golf.

All you can do is try one for yourself, only you can decide if it's what you want or not.... you can always sell it ebay if you don't like it!

anyone got any sound clips of VRs with induction kits?

Is a K&N going to hack off an average driver with the noise? is it better looking at Ramair or Pipercross for a better noise level? Jetex seems well priced...

Not in a position to stump up £160-odd for a BMC...

K&N is £85 from what I can see by the time it's delivered - worth the money?? Had one on my 16v Mk3 Golf and saw a good improvement along with a Remus backbox (rr'd at 171BHP! :shock: )

Wanting to hear a VR6 with induction.... this is my 2nd and both have been standard!!

Don't bother getting a Ramair if you think it might be quieter than a K & N, Ramairs are evil loud!

Mike, to start with the VR sounds pretty good with a induction cone filter but it soon gets a bit OTT for everyday use. Ive had two VR's and fitted a filter but kept taking them off then putting them back on. I would never ever pay full price for a filter. Decided that the modded airbox is good enough for me.

I noticed more of an improvement with BMC than any other filter and as said already, Stealth saw a 7hp improvement from a highline golf.

All you can do is try one for yourself, only you can decide if it's what you want or not.... you can always sell it ebay if you don't like it!

True enough, can always sell it, sorry I didnt mean it in a bad way when I asked him to "confirm" your statement, you sound kinda cheesed off (by the exclamation mark at the end of your sentence).

Don't bother getting a Ramair if you think it might be quieter than a K & N, Ramairs are evil loud!

Jetex?? £60 new...