Sign in to follow this  
Ad2408

Rough start on 16v

So for my 2ltr 16v i want the blue sensor that has the angeled connector on it.

And where the heck is the ISV on 2ltr 16v models?

what did you ask for then when they gave you that part mate???

and what is the part in the pic?

tohse were genuine questions mate.. :D ...i wasnt being facecous...ive changed the BTS on my 8v and g60 and its sorted me right out...so i assumed that the bit in my pic was a BTS on the 16v...

is the bit in the pic a fan switch?

also im confused as to how you went ionto a partsshop and asked for a BTS for a 2.0 16v raddo and they gave you that part? :?

they didnt ask the engine size thinking about it now, i just said 1993 blue temp sensor.

WHere is the ISV on the 2ltr 16v models?

as you may have worked out by now mate im not the worlds leading authority on the 16v engine (( or indeed any other ))...might be best for you to wait till someone who knows the engine pops along....

id like to know what the bit ive circled in my pic is too! :oops:

EDIT--heres a pic of the 20. 16v so someone can violate it. :wink:

EDIT"-- sorry..cant find any unmol;ested pics of a 16v engine...all mine have stupid qusetion marks on them :oops:

..sorry , just to clear up...the part thats circled in white was done a few months back when i was asking what part it is.......not to be confused with this thread .... :oops:

yes sorry about that, only the red lined bit is relevant in this thred!

unless I'm confused totally by what is being asked for here, the item circled in red is a 2.0 16v idle stab. valve, black plastic as opposed to the 1.8 16v's metal one that's a bit longer.

David.

The red bit is definately the idle stabilisation valve. This would not cause a missfire though going, back to the original post of this thread.

back to the original post of this thread.

:oops: ..sorry to go OT again...but what is the blue switch pictured on page 2 then guys?

back to the original post of this thread.

:oops: ..sorry to go OT again...but what is the blue switch pictured on page 2 then guys?

the electrical connector on the end of the cold start injector

ok i think there are a few diferent things going on here, prob due to me high-jacking and asking another question.

I think one of the original questions was about the first start sound likes itn on 3 cylinders and taking a while to start, so ppl said clean the ISV, which is what ive red outlined above yes?

the electrical connector on the end of the cold start injector

Where in the engine bay should that be located? and is it also known as the blue temp sender?

ok i think there are a few diferent things going on here, prob due to me high-jacking and asking another question.

I think one of the original questions was about the first start sound likes itn on 3 cylinders and taking a while to start, so ppl said clean the ISV, which is what ive red outlined above yes?

It certainly is, although this won't stop the engine starting with throttle and I cannot see it causing missfire. Basically it is an electronically contolled valve which has the same effect as keeping the engine running using the throttle.

So what exactly is wrong with yours which you are trying to cure with a blue temp sender.

well i was tol;d it was something to do with the engine not knowing when the engine is cold and giving a bit extrra fuel, hense it taking about 5 seconds of the key held on starter to start the engine, and i have noticed today and when idling its dropping the revs and nearly stalling????

again.....not the worlds leading expert mate.....but when you turn the key you should hear the fuel pump prime before you start it up...this could be your problem with it taking a min to start..

the revs dropping and nearly stalling does sound like the ISV need cleaning tho.....

With the ISV, do i just take off both the hose's, and the electric connector, then slide it off the metal bracket its on, soak in little petrol and clean it, then re-fit?

the revs dropping and nearly stalling does sound like the ISV need cleaning tho.....

I agree with that.

Have a read through the rest of the thread about a long cranking time. When it does start does it start on all 4 cylinders, or 2 or 3 then after a few seconds of running fires on all 4? By the way what engine is yours?

With the ISV, do i just take off both the hose's, and the electric connector, then slide it off the metal bracket its on, soak in little petrol and clean it, then re-fit?

I've used WD40 in the past and with the iginition on repeatledly connected and disconnected the the isv's electrical connection.

I've used WD40 in the past and with the iginition on repeatledly connected and disconnected the the isv's electrical connection.

Why does it help by keeping the ignition on repeatedly? what does this do?

is not taking it off and soaking it in petrol better?

By energising/de-energising the isv the valve physically opens and closes, doing this whilst soaked in WD40 or similar helps to remove the oily tarnished stuff more easily. I have had better results using this method than by just soaking it.

ok done that it didnt move so i got my gf to start it briefly for few secs then sprayed it, its moved then, will see how it is later.

Also just replaced the Plugs.