Sign in to follow this  
hecateh

rusty multiplug pins

Hi everyone, my first post here. I have had a problem with my vr6 for a while now and it has been getting worse recently, a friend had a different problem and it turned out to be a corroded pin in his multiplug, the garage sorted this all out for him but for a price! since im cheap I want to do this myself as I found this under my bonnet...

multiplug.jpg

anyone got any suggestions on how to clean/replace these pins?

any help appreciated!

ken.

Pretty sure that's normal mate, my VR6 has those same gold plated pins as well. Corrosion would be green/white scaley stuff.

You could always just douse it in contact cleaner to see if that helps...

What exactly are the problems you're having? I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you a list of likely candidates.

Clean them out with a small needle file.

Then a damn good clean with some electrical cleaner to wash any swarf away. Maybe a good blast with WD40 and a wipe off to dry it out.

I had the same problem with the connector to the ECU on a G60, it would sputter under load and sometimes just cut out. Clean them well and use Dielectic grease, works well.

I can't see the need, there's nothing wrong with that plug at all..... looks exactly like mine which I checked last week.

I can't see the need, there's nothing wrong with that plug at all..... looks exactly like mine which I checked last week.

I suppose it depends wether it is gold plating as you suggested earlier or rust/corrosion.

Either way a certainly clean up with contact cleaner will not cause any harm and only take a couple of minutes. Even if it does not solve the problem but eliminates one possible cause of a fault then it has to be a good thing.

Nowt wrong with that plug and it's pins. The gold pins are for engine and sensor signals where contact is vital to pass the small currents and volts. Spray lightly with WD40 if you are still concerned.