A20 LEE

A20 LEE My New Daily..

Treated myself to a new starter motor which I'll polish up. If the casing comes off i'll chrome it at the same time.

Lee, the casing for the starter comes off quite easy. It's the magnets attached to the inside of housing which is gonna be a pain in the arse...I had to soak my casing in diesel fuel to get the magnets to come loose. Once I got the casing back I just dropped it off at a auto repair shop to have them rebuild the starter. You can also polish up the starter solenoid as well just make sure you give it a shot of clear coat so that it doesn't rust!

Treated myself to a new starter motor which I'll polish up. If the casing comes off i'll chrome it at the same time.

Lee, the casing for the starter comes off quite easy. It's the magnets attached to the inside of housing which is gonna be a pain in the arse...I had to soak my casing in diesel fuel to get the magnets to come loose. Once I got the casing back I just dropped it off at a auto repair shop to have them rebuild the starter. You can also polish up the starter solenoid as well just make sure you give it a shot of clear coat so that it doesn't rust![/quote:5e67e]

Do you think it will be possible to remove the casing and mask the inside including the magnets and then chrome it?. Its a new starter motor so got the warranty to think about. Might get away with chroming the case but think they would be too help if i disassembled it too much.

thanks for the advice and pics so far!!

Do you think it will be possible to remove the casing and mask the inside including the magnets and then chrome it?. Its a new starter motor so got the warranty to think about. Might get away with chroming the case but think they would be too help if i disassembled it too much.

Actually, you probably could get away with doing it like that. I forgot you had mentioned that you had silicon tape. :oops:

No need of voiding the warranty when you could just mask it off & then dip it. :lol:

Actually, you probably could get away with doing it like that. I forgot you had mentioned that you had silicon tape. :oops:

No need of voiding the warranty when you could just mask it off & then dip it. :lol:[/quote:9b88a]

nice one. Here a pic for you. Had them since 2003 but never got around to fitting them as i'm not happy with the carbon fibre mounting bracket. Its a bit big and not quite upto show standard. £60 if anyone wants it, cost £125.

TMT McCoy, get a thread started in the members gallery!! Need to see more of you car.

like ya car dude. like marty, youve inspired me but not as far to hump ya back box!!!

like ya car dude. like marty, youve inspired me but not as far to hump ya back box!!!

thats a relief, who's marty?

He can't answer any more.. he was given a prompt ban after giving grief to some forum members.

more bits stripped, don't have access to a press so any ideas on the best way to remove the wishbone bushes welcomed. Next job is to rub them all down with 800 grit and buff them with the dremel. Then off to the chromers. Gearbox hasn't gone yet as money is still too tight. Hopefully some of these bits will get dipped in the next month. Continuing my current free mods theme, gonna start tacking the enginebay wiring. That should keep me busy.

Cheers Jim, checked his profile and now know who Marty is.

thats a relief, who's marty?[/quote:fb39d]

marty_vr6

:wink:

Looking good as ever Lee, keep it up. Still can't wait to see this :)

thats a relief, who's marty?

marty_vr6

:wink:

Looking good as ever Lee, keep it up. Still can't wait to see this :)[/quote:2088c]

cheers, checked out the gallery. Very nice car. I'll post up the parts as there done. The finished article, who knows

lee is there going to be anything left in your engine bay that hasn't been chromed? lol

You know you can chrome plastic :D

theres a few bits. Give time tho. Think its actually paint they use on plastic. Think only ABS can be properly chromed.

Burn the bushes out, then hack saw the bush sleeves out.

Thanks Coxy. Cracked it. I pushed them out using a G-Clamp.

lee is there going to be anything left in your engine bay that hasn't been chromed? lol

theres a few bits. Give time tho. Think its actually paint they use on plastic. Think only ABS can be properly chromed.

I'm not sure, but I have a mate who makes paintball guns and he said he could chrome any plastic bits I have.. so worth a thought! :)

I'm not sure, but I have a mate who makes paintball guns and he said he could chrome any plastic bits I have.. so worth a thought! :)

I'll say. Personally i'd be tempted to try it on a spare dash centre piece.

On a slightly different topic. Stripped and polished the new track rods and have a question. Does the top section which looks like a ball joint actually pivot in operation? Just wondering whether to mask it before chrome plating. Anyone?

Here's a pic of the standard of prep required to chrome stuff. All these parts are steel took bl**dy ages. They were paint stripped, sanded with 240/600/800 then buffed with a dremel. Still working on the subframe so pics to follow, hopefully not to long....

Gearbox, can't afford it yet. Maybe next month.

Here's a pic of the standard of prep required to chrome stuff. All these parts are steel took bl**dy ages. They were paint stripped, sanded with 240/600/800 then buffed with a dremel. Still working on the subframe so pics to follow, hopefully not to long....

Gearbox, can't afford it yet. Maybe next month.

Looks awesome, Lee. I bet you've worn your fingers down to nubbins...:lol:

hmm could be handy for having headlight backings re-chromed???