A20 LEE

A20 LEE My New Daily..

Couldnt 'quote' the images, but on p59 the dirty(!!) engine bay image.

Where are your HT leads!!!?

Well spotted, wondered why it wasn't running properly :lol:

They are re-routed to come up from the bottom of the engine through the lower inlet manifold.

Subframe is progressing. Much more difficult to clean this up than i thought. Now resorted to air tools :twisted: to get things moving more quicky. The extra power meant i could smooth out the smaller marks from the spot welds for a cleaner look. The deeper ones will be filled with weld when i seam weld the whole thing, probably going to have to build a jig so make sure its nice and straight before i start.

Couldnt 'quote' the images, but on p59 the dirty(!!) engine bay image.

Where are your HT leads!!!?

Well spotted, wondered why it wasn't running properly :lol:

There are re-routed to come up from the bottom of the engine through the lower inlet manifold.

You gonna polish them as well!? :lol:

DaveVR6,

I'm going to get the subframe completely free of paint and surface rust then let the chromers have a look at it. If they think it will plate OK then i'll polish the whole thing. If not i'll rub it down with a scotch pad and powdercoat it.

Paul B,

Probably seems insane to most, but i actual enjoy stripping parts down and rebuilding them. Its rewarding picking up chromed parts that look awesome knowing what they looked like a few weeks earlier. You'll see what i mean when the subframe is finished. Its not a part of a car you generally look at but in chrome, it becomes a very special part. The other bit is you get a lot of wow factor for mods which are purely labour. The chroming costs abit but stripping and polishing parts cost nothing and makes a huge difference. When i was a uni and had my 16V, i had no money to spend on it so the only way i could make it stand out was to get it super clean....

lee are these extra parts or is your car in pieces? Your doing what my next plans were cleaning up my subframe. Nice work man :thumbleft:

I always buy extra parts so i don't have to take my car off the road. Some i get secondhand but mostly new as the car is 13years old. Not always possible due to the expense but a brand new radiator cross member is a must IMO. Just need a bodyshell, block and cylinder head and i've got another complete C in parts!! Going to sell alot of stuff off next year to pay for the surprise unbudgeted parts the turbo conversion will throw up.

Nice to know i'm not on my own with this kind of work, Toffee!! :D

So when can we expect to see pics of this chromed gearbox?! I'm liking the new signature/avatar by the way :)

Lee, how much does chroming cost? I've know idea myself, but whats a ball park figure for geting a gearbox case chromed, if you've done the perp yourself? How much for a head do you reckon?

Looking good lee Before you throw that subframe in i would recomend getting the rack bushing in poly.I never thought it would help as much as it did.For the money you cant go wrong. keep in mind my stock bushing was replaced with stock when the rack was replaced the year before i got the car.

PB270003_001.sized.jpg

So when can we expect to see pics of this chromed gearbox?! I'm liking the new signature/avatar by the way :)

not sure, really need to get the box to Jeff for the rebuild and diff fitting but need the subframe done so i can get wishbones and eibach bars all mounted up with the bushes fitted as a sub-assembly. Can't afford to get gearbox and subframe chromed in the same month. Hmm probably do the gearbox first, if i get it to the chromers in early Jan should get it back end of Jan or early Feb.

Thanks, the avatar turned out much better than i expected. Think theres room for improvement on the sig yet. Here's another one i've done, not sure if its better or worse. Having problems with my BT Broadband, keep loosing the DSL signal at 2pm and then nothing till the next day :mad: . So spent some time messing with sig's.

Lee, how much does chroming cost? I've know idea myself, but whats a ball park figure for geting a gearbox case chromed, if you've done the perp yourself? How much for a head do you reckon?

Not sure yet, the chromers i use only tell me the price once its done as my stuff tends to be new to them. My chrome washer bottle and PAS bottle cost £70 each. I'd guess a gearbox and bellhousing would be around £500, hence why i can't get everything done at once and i refuse to compromise on my goal so the car will just take time to build. 6 years so far, makes me realise the amazing amount of work that went into premiers chrome car. Theres no way they did all the prep on that car. Must have shipped out all the parts for polishing.

Looking good lee Before you throw that subframe in i would recomend getting the rack bushing in poly.I never thought it would help as much as it did.For the money you cant go wrong. keep in mind my stock bushing was replaced with stock when the rack was replaced the year before i got the car.

PB270003_001.sized.jpg

Got them already Russ, only ones i haven't got yet are the anti-roll bar bushes.

Nice to know i'm not on my own with this kind of work, Toffee!! :D

I'm parting my mk2 gti right now and I'm gonna use the sub-frame from it for my corrado cause it is a non power steering sub which I want frame plus mine is all rusted. Don't know if I'm chroming it or just color coded since my car scrapes on all speed bumps maybe just paint so I don't punch my self when I see chrome on the speed bumps in my rear-view mirror lol .

Your car is just a work of art , I love the attention to detail my favorite part of you car is the interior, when I saw CORRADO pressed into the rear seat leather in OEM font I was just said to my self "WOW that is genius" they don't show that in the PVW feature why not?. But hey going to pick up my project VR rado Soon watch out lol jk.

Heres the project car and the manifold I polished up last winter, my thumb was literally bleeding when I was sanding between the runners, I'm Gonna have it chromed later polished tranny #2 soon to come :tongue: .

PartsCar27.jpg

DSC05216.jpg

DSC05217.jpg

Lee, have you thought about buying your own chroming tank.. alot cheaper and not that difficult to use.. I am thinking myself for the future..

Ben

Did look at tanks in frosts catalogue :oops: There nickel plating kits and cost about £400. There OK for screw and bolts but not good enough for major parts. A decent set of secondhand tanks for proper chrome plating costs £7k, Phil at Almatt recently sold his :roll: Bet he's regreting it now that chroming wheels is becoming very popular.

Your car is just a work of art , I love the attention to detail my favorite part of you car is the interior, when I saw CORRADO pressed into the rear seat leather in OEM font I was just said to my self "WOW that is genius" they don't show that in the PVW feature why not?. But hey going to pick up my project VR rado Soon watch out lol jk.

Heres the project car and the manifold I polished up last winter, my thumb was literally bleeding when I was sanding between the runners, I'm Gonna have it chromed later polished tranny #2 soon to come :tongue: .

PartsCar27.jpg

DSC05216.jpg

DSC05217.jpg

There ton's of stuff missing from the PVW feature, should probably post up pics of some of the details such as the filler flap, seat belt runners, centre consule, sills, smooth boot shuts, etc. The embossed corrado logo has been on the rear seat since 2000. The old front seats used to have the logo on them too but the new recaros don't because the seat where only trimmed about 9hrs before the car's first show with its new look so no time to get it done.

Know what you mean about the manifold, the top of the runner is bloody hard to get at. Done it twice now, on my current manifold and my original which i've been meaning to chrome and sell on for ages. Can't believe after doing another C, your madder than me :lol:

also my second manifold sold the first one and got this one for free as that was the agreement.

I have always wanted one g60 and one vr rado :tougue: . I miss the sound of my VR6 corrado :( so time to start another one.

also my second manifold sold the first one and got this one for free as that was the agreement.

I have always wanted one g60 and one vr rado :tougue: . I miss the sound of my VR6 corrado :( so time to start another one.

Madness, but so is this i guess. Progress on my bellhousing. :roll: :lol:

Lee your makin me want to start on my VR6 transmission I think i will also do A LOT of chroming on my vr crrado I'm already thinkin about the Chrome A6 handles :tongue: