A20 LEE

A20 LEE My New Daily..

Thats the plan, my aim for next year is to finally top Steve Denton's chrome car, 7 years after he build it!!

Sounds as if you and I have the same agenda! :lol:

Looks awesome, Lee. You are definetly in the zone dude!!!

Thats the plan, my aim for next year is to finally top Steve Denton's chrome car, 7 years after he build it!!

Looks awesome, Lee. You are definetly in the zone dude!!![/quote:de10c]

you've topped the chrome car, by some margin!! Thinking about running the brakelines inside the trailing arms of the rear beam. What do you think? Nearly smoothed one side of the beam now. Pics soon.

.....And in other news, my cars going to appear on a range of t-shirts. :lol: I'll post a link to the shop once there done.

Looks awesome, Lee. You are definetly in the zone dude!!![/quote:c84e1]

you've topped the chrome car, by some margin!! Thinking about running the brakelines inside the trailing arms of the rear beam. What do you think? Nearly smoothed one side of the beam now. Pics soon.

.....And in other news, my cars going to appear on a range of t-shirts. :lol: I'll post a link to the shop once there done.[/quote:c84e1]

Most definetly do it, Lee. I ran the hardlines for my rear brakes inside the cabin all the way to the back of the car. They're totally hidden up until the point where they get back to the trailing arms and the braided stainless lines are exposed.

What will happen when you can chrome no further?

scene is always moving on, last year if you told me i'd be building a totally chromed car i wouldn't have believed you. Different trim, change the colour or even start a new project, who knows. Keep thinking about buying an early red 16V/G60 and restoring it to brand new condition or maybe getting an S3 and just doing a bit with it. Rims, suspension and brakes for example.

i'd be willin to do a swap with u lee,my red g60 could do with some a20lee style lovin(u don't even have to give me any money either just call it a favour :lol: )

i'd be willin to do a swap with u lee,my red g60 could do with some a20lee style lovin(u don't even have to give me any money either just call it a favour :lol: )

this guy thinks the the Godfather :lol:

i'd be willin to do a swap with u lee' date='my red g60 could do with some a20lee style lovin(u don't even have to give me any money either just call it a favour :lol: )[/quote']

this guy thinks the the Godfather :lol:

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse." :lol:

A20 LEE, you can buy my rado thn when it's for sale :-P

thanks for the offer. :lol:

Found this on trader, looking pretty sweet. Awesome wheel choice!!! Not standard tho' :lol: Can't help myself!! Looks so right.

Bit of a progress report, rear beam is take ages hoped to post up finished pics by now but i'm still welding and grinding, spotting little pits, welding them up and grinding again. Really hope the finished item is worth the effort. Between this and the subframe the gearbox was easy. Here's a pic, you can see how the various parts of the beam are now starting to blend together to form a clean solid like part and the finish is starting to come through.

DSC01583b.jpg

Here the custom Mocal Oil Cooler, i've polished up the sandwish plate which makes it look like a much better quality part. They look nasty in the cast factory finish. Plan is to make two plates to cover the openings the have a bash at chroming it.

mocal.jpg

My chromers refused to chrome the front cross member due to solution entrapment so i had to drill a couple of extra holes in it. Also took the oppertunity to improve it more by smoothing out the spot welds. Pic below show one side already welded and smoothed.

DSC01616b.jpg

Here's the other side in progress.

DSC01617b.jpg

The welds are then ground back and next the two sides will be hand sanded until they are smooth then polished and off for chroming.

DSC01619b.jpg

Also seam welded the cup for the front engine mount and to the side of it i'll welded in a whole section (where the spot welds were) so the shape of the cross member is more uniform.

frontcrossm.jpg

So a lot to do still as i'm not cutting any corners and having a good think about every piece of the car as i work on it and how it can be improved. Doubt alot of people will spot half the mods but they all add to the finish even if you can't put you finger on whats changed.

nice to see you're actually putting a lot of work into properly "finishing" the items off and giving that hand made attention to detail, rather than the mass producted "rough pressed" stuff we get from the factory.

It will be noticed, that cross member is looking as smooth as silk already.

don't chrome the oil cooler. it will probably affect it's effiency.

Seriously impressive work Lee. Absolutely no question yours will be the ultimate VW show car when its back on the scene.

Keep it up mate.

Jay

nice to see you're actually putting a lot of work into properly "finishing" the items off and giving that hand made attention to detail, rather than the mass producted "rough pressed" stuff we get from the factory.

It will be noticed, that cross member is looking as smooth as silk already.

don't chrome the oil cooler. it will probably affect it's effiency.

Thats whats surprised me the most, just how bad some of the factory parts are and how much extra strength can be added. Highly recommend any one refurbing a car to seam weld subframe. The areas where the wishbones mount are shocking.

Not going to chrome the oil cooler, just the sandwich plate. Still bit more sanding to do on the front cross member but its getting there now. The new metal is blending in nicely. Just hard going trying to get out all the pic holes. Think is probably impossible with weld.

Decided to have a couple of days off sanding and painted inside the subframe with hammeright black gloss spray. Constrast between the black gloss and chrome looks really good. Well chuffed.

Seriously impressive work Lee. Absolutely no question yours will be the ultimate VW show car when its back on the scene.

Keep it up mate.

Jay

thanks Jay. Certainly going to be interesting to see if time and effort are a match for the big money Oxford Edition are putting into there new cars.

Keep thinking about buying an early red 16V/G60 and restoring it to brand new condition...

Like this one..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1991-VOLKSWAGEN-CORRADO-G60-RED_W0QQitemZ4629841172QQcategoryZ9873QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats nice, noticed the owner has 2 boxsters and 2 corrados!! Can't afford to start another project till i've go my car up and running again. Couple of years before another project i think.