Sign in to follow this  
tug

A theory

My mate Ali posted this over on the Club GTI forum, basically asking which car would win in a flat-out race, a Mini Cooper S Works, a Mk4 Golf 20vT or a Corrado VR6.

I have a theory...the projected finishing order will be different depending on which forum the question is posted. Even though the guys on the Club GTI forum put the Mini in 1st, one guy rekcons the Golf will beat the Raddo because it would 'rev better'. Surely this would only be a factor if the engines were the same? A 50cc sit-on lawnmower might 'rev better' than a Ferrari Enzo, but it doesn't mean its going to beat it in a race!

Some of the misconceptions are really funny, one being that the Mini is a light car. Fair enough, its lighter than a Raddo and a Golf, but only by about 65kg! The opposite is true of the Mk4, everyone assumes they are lardy arsed, but apparently they weigh near enough the same as a Raddo. Is that right?

Final question, is the final drive in a Corrado VR6 box different from the final drive in a Golf VR6 box? I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere...

Thanks, rant over! :)

Yeah, the Corrado was pretty lardy for it's time - they're all around 1100-1200 kg, depending on trim and engine type, so it's about the same weight as the Golf 4.

Given that every VW gearbox seems to have slightly different ratios it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the Golf VR had different final drive compared to the Corrado VR, but I don't know for sure!

And I think you're right - ask a different forum you'll get a different answer .. :)

The Mini Cooper S, amazingly enough does weigh near enough exactly the same as the Corrado G60. So I guess that would make it a smidge lighter than the VR6. And with more torque and more horse power (in works form) I think its fair to say it'd probably nail the race.

Think the VR would come in second, and then the Golf would come last.. but thats just my take on it :)

does it not depend on how long the race track is?

I would dare say given a 2mile strip the corrado would demolish the pair of them.

This is very true.. I don't think either have the top speed of the Corrado VR6..

If its a std 150BHP 20vt Golf, I would say the Corrado would easily beat it. My 180 BHP Leon would struggle against a friends MK3 Golf VR6.

Not sure about the Mini though.

Not sure about in-gear acceleration times, but the Cooper S Works is 6.7 seconds to 60. Is that not the same as a VR6? My mate has one, and there's not much in it...

If its a std 150BHP 20vt Golf, I would say the Corrado would easily beat it. My 180 BHP Leon would struggle against a friends MK3 Golf VR6.

Not sure about the Mini though.

Sorry, should have mentioned we're talking about a 150bhp Golf remapped to somewhere around 200bhp. I've had a 'go' with Ali before and completely destroyed him, but this topic basically came up as he's thinking about fettling his Golf.

A healthy Corrado would win as Coxy said. 6 cylinder engines just have a lot more muscle past 100mph to carry the Corrado's sleek shell through the air. The mini is a brick, quick to 110ish and then it'll fall back gradually....the VR6 will just keep pulling and pulling....

Standard MK4 1.8T....no chance in hell. Plenty of punch low down, but it's all gone by 5000rpm. My mate's 1.8T (K03) is chipped to 205hp/224lbft and it really kicks hard in the midrange but that kick is not there in the VR so you *think* the VR is slower, but it isn't. It's about the same.

Yes, MK4s are wrongly accused of being too heavy and crap handlers....wrong. They have a LOT of mechanical grip, but the feedback is poor. Stick some ARBs and dampers/springs on them and trust me, you won't shake one off on a B road.

Golf and Corrado VR gearboxes are identical, both have a 3.39 diff. Only the SLC has a shorter diff to counter the lower capacity and emission control devices. It is the diff to have on euro cars too. Its a lot livlier without sacrificing cruising smoothness.

I would be interested to see how a remapped 1.8T golf goes. That's what I'm thinking about getting next.

Ideally I like it to be faster than my G60, but I'm not sure it will. There seems to be a huge gap between mine & a std 1.8T

Yes, MK4s are wrongly accused of being too heavy and crap handlers....wrong. They have a LOT of mechanical grip, but the feedback is poor. Stick some ARBs and dampers/springs on them and trust me, you won't shake one off on a B road.

Agreed my Leon (Mk4 Golf based) has an amaizing amount of grip, and is very predictable.

My only complaint about the MK4 chassis is it feels dead on the limit.... where as the Corrado and A2/A3 platform are like sniffer dogs, feeding every single pit and ripple back through the column, the MK4 is too softly bushed by comparison and vital info that you need on the limit of traction doesn't come through.

When ever I borrow my mate's MK4, I bound into a corner too quick relying too much on the grip and then it gets hairy with no warning! Serves me right I guess but my point is in the Corrado, the warning signs of me being a dick come through loud and clear...and long before the MK4 would admit you've troubled it.

But anyway, I'm talking about 8 and 9 tenth driving here..... for 90% of the time and 90% of drivers, the MK4 is very capable.

The Mini would win hands down.

Cos...

The Corrado driver would be worried about busting his 10 year old clutch

The Golf driver would be an old fart

and the mini driver would the kind of d!ck who gives a toss about this kind of crap.

Compared to todays hot hatches, the straight line speed of the VR is nothing special. If you wanna go faster than everyone else, buy some Japanese turbocharged heap and get it chipped. Buy a C if you want some finesse to your ride.

That reads a bit harsh - don't mean to knock your topic - just my 2p worth!!

If you wanna go faster than everyone else, buy some Japanese turbocharged heap and get it chipped. Buy a C if you want some finesse to your ride.

Its not a case of wanting to go faster than everyone else, just a bit of banter between friends! You know how it is! :)

Compared to todays hot hatches, the straight line speed of the VR is nothing special.

True, the ante has been upped in recent years and the VR's now rather ancient 12V V6 with 'only' 190hp is pretty much average now, and the car is portly to go with it, compared to say the 1050Kg Clio 182 which is only 8hp shy and has a throttle response to make the VR's seem positively zombie like.

But you wouldn't want a Clio 182 for more than a weekend's fun. It's tinny, boomy inside and the engine is rough and unsophisticated. Yep it's crazy off the line and handles brilliantly but the feeling it gives you when driving it is one of insecurity. Insecure about the car's strength, despite being a Euro NCAP winner (it still feels flimsy) and insecure about your image being seen in a girly shopping car with two exhausts.

It's why my mate is selling his. He paid £14K for it last year and it's only worth £10K now and he never ever gets excited by it. He's considering getting a VR!

So what my verbal diahorreah is trying to portray is although the Corrado doesn't have the speed it did 10 years ago (compared to what else was about back then), it still cuts it's own path through the monotomy of today's euroboxes with indentical outputs and handling characteristics.

Add a charger or turbo to a VR6 and then it's got the speed AND the kudos.

I'd love to fit a supercharger, but its fairly far down on my list of priorities at the moment! One day...

I personally don't think the 182 is anything special in a straight line. I didn't have too much trouble with my mates one. - Cornering is excellent though, a different class.

A charged up VR would definatly be my choice!