Sign in to follow this  
sciroccotune

Sound proofing - with pics

Ok guys I’m planning on sound proofing my C as much as possible. Could you guys give me any information on the products you have used, like maybe where you got it for a good price etc.

My main question is there is always references to using B&Q style lead flashing (is that the right stuff) but not seen anyone that has used it and given comment - any reviews of this method.

cheers

Need to rebuild my interior before I can give you a full verdict... however I used 'Brown Bread' from caraudiodirect.co.uk - value for money, you get loads of the stuff!

I think this is what I bought:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product ... 6d8e2b8bab

If you saw my car on sunday (I was parked behind you) and looked inside - I managed to cover both doors, all the boot, rear quaters and under the back seats (double layer in some places) all with that one roll!

Like I said, I don't know if its made a difference or not yet, but hopefully it should have done...

Thanks for the reply mate, I did indeed see your car looks really good and has kinds got me going on the idea. That price is good considering a small roll of dynomat costs £20 from hellfrauds..

LOL @ VR6 and Hywire (all hail the king of soundproofing ;-)).... Well since I’m a cheap/skint student I decided to have a look into using the flash tape method.. And since I found two big rolls thanks to me dad, I went ahead and used them.

So far I have done the boot floor, behind rear door cards and under rear seats.

Impressions so far quit good, noticeably quieter using 2 layers and I suspect that once the front doors and behind the dash are done it will be even better

does it work? i used the stuff audioscape sell £35 for a big roll is is very good i have a roll in each door and one in the boot covering the same area as you.

Does it work? well so far so good really. I do defiantly think that the back is quieter - i.e less exhaust noise (still a bit as there is a crack I have to weld up). I think that the test will be in the front doors and the dash area as most 'o' the noise is now in those areas.

When i do the doors i will put another layer on the boot floor.

Basically i think that it is well worth it I found that rolls of the aqua seal 10mx25cm are about £16 in B&Q so even if I eventually go over it with a bit of dynomat or brown bread its all good!

Oh and I added a bit to the underside of the rear speaker pods and it stops ant rattles nicely ;-)

on picking up me new runabout car on saturday (rover 214) iev decided it has too much road noise and i will be adapting scirrocotunes soundproofing scheme for this car also :D

LOL @ VR6 and Hywire (all hail the king of soundproofing ;-)).... Well since I’m a cheap/skint student I decided to have a look into using the flash tape method..

I did try the flashing method first as I thought the usual suspects were bloomin expensive.....but I then found Audioscrape, and their stuff I'm sorry to say is a lot better than the lead flashing. The Flashing is OK if you multilayer it but it's main problem is it's a bit on the thin side! It does work though, just not as well as the pricier stuff.

The downside of the proper stuff is weight and I've easily added 45Kg to my car, LOL!

Yeah I suspected it wasn’t 'as' good but for the price :-) and its not all that heavy. Also it will make a good base for some more expensive stuff in the future.

do you have a link for that stuff kev??

Yeah I suspected it wasn’t 'as' good but for the price :-) and its not all that heavy. Also it will make a good base for some more expensive stuff in the future.

do you have a link for that stuff kev??

I've used a mixture of stuff in the past and depending on the location I've found that felt is as good as anything and weighs very little. I've got brown bread in the doors as this area gets wet but my side panels and floor of the car, under rear seat etc, has mostly felt and it does a really good job, most of it came from the roof linings of old cars, you often get good large sheets of it, particularly cars without sunroofs.

David.

LOL @ VR6 and Hywire (all hail the king of soundproofing ;-)).... Well since I’m a cheap/skint student I decided to have a look into using the flash tape method..

I did try the flashing method first as I thought the usual suspects were bloomin expensive.....but I then found Audioscrape, and their stuff I'm sorry to say is a lot better than the lead flashing. The Flashing is OK if you multilayer it but it's main problem is it's a bit on the thin side! It does work though, just not as well as the pricier stuff.

The downside of the proper stuff is weight and I've easily added 45Kg to my car, LOL!

You mean Audioscape :lol: :p

I even dynamatted the bonnet, LOL!

It sounds like concrete when tapped now. Yeah I know, sad, but I like that sort of thing :lol:

I put some Dynamat 'hoodliner' on top of it to deflect the heat and absorb the sound. It's a lot quieter but most of the engine noise comes out from the sides, so I'll be dynamatting the wings next :twisted:

PMSL... In 10 years time, my car will be a 10 Kg pile of rust to represent the remains of the car and 500 kilos of mint dynamat :lol:

I even dynamatted the bonnet, LOL!

It sounds like concrete when tapped now. Yeah I know, sad, but I like that sort of thing :lol:

I put some Dynamat 'hoodliner' on top of it to deflect the heat and absorb the sound. It's a lot quieter but most of the engine noise comes out from the sides, so I'll be dynamatting the wings next :twisted:

PMSL... In 10 years time, my car will be a 10 Kg pile of rust to represent the remains of the car and 500 kilos of mint dynamat :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thinking of dynamatting my toilet seat next :lol:

Remember the old Coke advert? "I'd like to give the world a coke?" How about "I'd like to give the world some mat?" PMSL :lol:

oh righty lol

He does it to everything Bally... He'll be calling you Billy next...

:lol: Ive been called worse names :lol:

Kev, thats mad..

Yeah, not sure why I keep modifying names and words, I guess I'm just a bit weird really....

Anyway, yeah the bonnet, LOL! James got 3 packs of hoodliner in and wanted me to try it, so I gave it a whirl! It took 2 hours to get all the old glue off though. I kept the original foam as you can peel it off gently and the panels stay in one peice.