Sign in to follow this  
sciroccotune

Sound proofing - with pics

Maybe this is something I should look at. The engine is really quiet for a 16v, sometimes on tickover you can hardly notice it's running, so the noise must be all from the road etc. It really is noisy compared to my last car (E36 coupe), can actually be difficult having a conversation when driving at motorway speeds.

Can't say I like the look of that sticky foil looking stuff - and don't like the idea of having it stuck everywhere - even if it is all out or view, so would probably favour felt or the 'brown bread' stuff.

Oh and I added a bit to the underside of the rear speaker pods and it stops ant rattles nicely ;-)

Cool.... I'll try some of that, with the suspension set on hard sometimes I think my teeth will actually rattle out.... :D

so the noise must be all from the road etc.

I've been looking into this again and in the main the road noise will then come through the wheel arches so this is the area to cover with Dynamat or felt or whatever. Its not likely to have any heat gain so you could get away with lead flashing. I'm using that on the flat surfaces plus about 6mm of fabric felt all over. Have done the boot and used some on the rear door skins, now need to cut and lay the fabric.

thinkin of cleanin up the interior of my C with new carpets & retrimin the roofliner & visors. so while thats all out i mit as well put in some new soundproofin! anyone got a link for this 'brown bread' stuff, think ill use that on the doors, rear sides & roof then go for the cheap b&q stuff on the floor & boot area.

I've got the boot floor, under the rear seats and the doors done with 'Skinz' on mine and it does make a noticable difference to the amount of noise in the car. Don't expect to sound like a new Merc inside, but it is noticably quieter.

It also stops the panels vibrating, which means you get more hefty bass out of whatever you current setup is :)

I really want to do behind the rear door cards tho, cos there's a lot of road noise coming from back there that I'd like to get rid of...

I really want to do behind the rear door cards tho, cos there's a lot of road noise coming from back there that I'd like to get rid of...

Wow that rare beastie.. a 4 door Corrado! ;)

Dinkus is that a factory conversion or have you been waving the angle grinder about again? :lol:

Yeah, but their website isn't hugely useful - give 'em a call and see what they'll do. Mention you've got a Corrado and he should sort you out :)

looks like a good job Bally, but did it make abig differance/was it worth it?

cheers mate.. for stopping the car shaking its not to bad.. its made a big difference in terms of road noise though.. my cars so much quieter on the road compared to driving sisters MK5 Polo GTI!!

theres dosnt seem to be alot of differance between the "Second Skin Damplifier Bulk Kit" and the " Second Skin Damplifier Pro Bulk Kit", only about 0.25 of a mm in thickness?!

Unfortunately i didnt take any pics, but i've just covered the boot area with roof flashing including the wheel arches. Then used some Cloud Nine carpet underlay and finally a layer of fabric felt. On the rear door cards I've removed the sponge, used a double layer of roof flashing and stuck the foam back on. I've then covered that with fabric felt too. A bit of a pain to fit everything back but the rear is deffo quieter. I'll do the front doors and cards next spring when its a bit warmer, and hopefully take some pics this time :oops:

Learned a few things over the opast few years so i need to remove the old flashing tape in the doors. Problem is i dont know how to do it. Is there anything that can soften teh adhesive? I had a go after leaving it in the sun recently hoping it would soften up but it didnt :( Any ideas?