Sign in to follow this  
valver MK

Is my C an import??

I've only had my C for a few months now and despite its various probs that i've been sorting: Dodgey odometer (thanks for your help on that by the way :D ), bypassed matrix and dents / faded paint I'm still very much in love!

I noticed the other day that the windscreen read Pilkingtons of New Zealand. A mate at a dealers did a hpi for me which showed an import stamp. So can anyone tell me if the obvious is true and the car is from New Zealand? And if so are there differences that anyone knows of between uk and non uk cars, apart from the side you drive on! Sorry to waffle, it's been bugging me! :roll:

Cheers all

Chris

I have "fixed" a Corrado out in New Zealand, .... for a radiator bird strike! That Corrado was a VR6 Storm.

What do the side and rear glass decals state? Point is the screen may be a replacement which if none VW can be made anywhere these days. The side windows & rear will tell you more the truth.

C's went to various countries and each would have had different market spec. Best to ring VAG and ask the history.

There's someone on here with one of the (very) few Corrados in New Zealand.

IIRC they were priced at bonkers money so are like rocking horse shibden over there.

Seems odd someone would go to the trouble of importing one from there to here, were they are much more common. :scratch:

My old valver said that on the windscreen think it must be a replacement glass manufacturer as it definatley wasn't an import.

differences that anyone knows of between uk and non uk cars, apart from the side you drive on

i though they drove on the same side as us?

The chassis number should give it away, i cant remember what the differences are but i know their are different letters for different countries.

Mines an import, not sure where from but on the logbook it states that it was imported from overseas. The only difference i have found so far is that mine has electronic headlight level adjustment from inside. Just hope that never goes wrong.

Does yours have any unusual features like that?

Thanks all, I'll have a look at the chassis no. and door glass tonight. It did seem a bit implausible that someone would bring it to the other side of the world!

I did hear that they drive on the same side as us in the UK...

No i've not found anything out of ordinary yet but i'm new to corrados, tbh i'm pretty new to cars!

Out of interest and off topic, but does anyone know how much these cars where from new?

electronic headlight level adjustment from inside

Ballys has that as well never seen it before

yeap it sure does.. looking at the history of my car it was in germany then bought over by its owner who was in the army to the UK in 1996.. then a lady owner, for a few years, a lad from fleet, then me..

http://www.pilkington.com/automotive+in ... efault.htm

OE and aftermarket glass

My old valver had replacement Pilkington glass in it. i know it was replacement because it used to piss water in everywhere because the monkey that must have fitted it made such as mess with the sealant/windscreen bond. Have a look at this link Pilkingtons are just a worlwide glass company - it says somewhere on the site that their main automotive glass works are australsia.

Yeah, the OE glass is made by SECURIT, with the screen being structural (bonded) I'd demand an insurance company to use the original stuff...

Looks like its more than likely a replacement windscreen then. Just had to have the stone chips fixed in the thing for the pending MOT. Glad it didn't need a new screen, it seems there a little dear!

yeah i'll second that i was there 12 months and didn't see any, i would love to have seen one there though. Nothing fast and low lasts too long on their roads!!