Sign in to follow this  
Arrow3 VR6

VR6 Engine Question

Hey everyone. I just got a '92 Corrado VR6 :D But I just have one question. The engine was swapped, at about 100k miles, with one that had 50k at that time. It was from another car with a VR6 engine(possibly a passat, or GTI?). I was just wondering if that's the same VR6 found in all the vr6 corrados? I'm almost positive it has to be..as nothing else would fit. It looks the same under the hood as all the rest of the vr6 C's I've seen, except it doesn't have the engine cover that says Corrado VR6 or whatever it says. Cheers guys.

you should have the right engine as the stateside VR6's are all 2.8ltr AAA-code engines...............also,unless it was an american thing :? ,the engine cover should just bear the legend "VR6-DOHC" no mention of which model it belongs to,tho i have seen some Golf VR6's with "2.8 VR6-DOHC"on the cover

btw if you were over this side of the pond you would really have to have the 2.9ltr ABV-code engine otherwise you would feel short-changed :shock:

Yeah, that's the thing. It doesn't have that engine cover...just a chrome-looking one with no mention of the model. But the engine itself looks identical. Cheers.

Yeah, that's the thing. It doesn't have that engine cover...just a chrome-looking one with no mention of the model. But the engine itself looks identical. Cheers.

yeah all the VR6 engines look identical as its all down to the ABV coded engines having bigger bores

Hmm, could you explain that? I'm not sure I understand, sorry.

sorry alex,what i mean is that the ABV coded engine has a displacement of 2861cc (2.9) and the AAA coded engine has a displacement of 2792cc(2.8) all this is down to is the cylinder bores being bigger with corresponding pistons

The engine will be fine just if it's the 2.8 it will be short of a few BHP not sure what the difference is though.

Remove your airbox and look on the side of the block thats were the engine code is take some sandpaper to clean it up unless its clear to read and have a look to c if it raeds "aaa" or "abv"

Cheers James

... picture of his engine ...

Cheers James

Those blue "one-per-cylinder" air filters you've got don't look very "free-flow".

:D :) :D

stop depressing and confusing the poor bloke... He's American, so no matter which car he has and which car the engine came out of, it'll be a 2.8 VR6 with around 178BHP... It can ONLY be an AAA code engine 'cos the American market never got the ABV engine.... :|

A note on the plastic cover, you can't get the DOHC covers any more because techinically speaking, it's not actually DOHC. There was a thread on this somewhere a few weeks ago. If you really want to go for that authenticity factor, you'll need to pilfer one off another C.