Sign in to follow this  
dig776

Speaker Upgrade

Hi,

Have spent today trying to sort out speakers as the 15 year old factory ones are rubbish!

Best suggestion so far is to get component speakers put the tweaters into the dash and wire up the door panels but 13cm speakers don't fit and apparently its not worth bothering with 10cm components.

I am limited in my choice as I don't want an amp/sub, shelf speakers or to spend £140 to £180 on door pod upgrades.

I am probably being to restrictive but can anyone reccomend a good solution/supplier please?? I can't take much more of my standard speakers :(

The best fairly low budget compromise seems to be 5.25 components up front (Infinity's and JBL's get good reviews) and then get a sub (Infinity Basslink is cheap, but good) to fill out the bottom end.

Cheers GIXXERUK, had a search earlier but missed those.

dinkus, ta will look out for the 5.25 components if the above doesn't come off. Didn't really want to go down the sub route but it looks like I may have to compromise.

cheers

I have just fitted a set of

'Xstream 5.25" 2 way component speakers, Made by Directed Audio. 100watts peak power' (quoted from box)

They went in fine, had to bend the plastic threds slightly and really push them on but they are fine, and the tweeks i have drill and glued onto the mirror plastic bit running the wire down the door.

They are so much better then the standard ones (well actually i dont know as i found out the only working speakers were in the back! Only had the car a month)

Plus these were only around £50.

Very good!

I put Infinity components in the Rado in the front doors, JBL's in the rear space and got a plug and play sub box from Pioneer which is strapped to the boot carpet, just builds it all nicely. The speakers were less than £100 and the sub was £100. Sounds quite good and you can adjust the sub to what level you want, very cheap way of getting reasonable hifi with no holes.

Alternatively, in the Polo daily driver I put Alpine components in the front doors that came with seperate tweeters which i stashed in the plastic things by the wing mirrors, just drilled a whole. I put Alpine shelf speakers in parcel shelf and it sounds lovely and clean. The speakers were again less than £100 all in and you can leave these in when you sell at that price.

(http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_det ... _id=25-130)

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... duct=20264

Guy's i took the speakers out of the doors and measured them. but the prob is no way are they 5.25 inches. the best diametre i could get was 5". am i measuring them wrong?

or are they actually measured as 5.25"?

thanks

misbah1977, dash are 4", doors are 5.25" and rears are 6"x4" as standard... The original door speakers had quite a large mounting face on 'em IIRC and so measure at about 5" as you say, but 5.25" will fit in there... 8)

I got some MB Quart components off Ebay delivered for £40 and they're excellent. I've got those in the front and an infinity Bass Link in the boot and it has a very nice sound to it...

lol and there was me thinking you;re a purist!

with a 1940cc fully messed with engine and a spoiler with 25leds in it as a brake light... me a purist? :lol:

(they were fitted to the car when I bought it, and they're actually pretty good)

i recently went for jbl's in the dash and for the rear parcel shelf side sections.

4" 50w rms/150w peak fit straight in the dash.

and the 6x4" 50w rms/150w peak required a little removal of plastic to fit the rear.

pretty happy with the sound quality,although amping them would help make them a bit more full sounding i think.

pics etc here.....

neil.

Just put in a pair of 4" Sony 's in my Dash, sound great.

Also got a pair of Infinity 5010's 5.25 for the doors which come with tweeters. Was wondering can i put these on without distortion as the 4" speakers have tweeters built in too.

Since the Inifinity tweeters are seperate from the speakers and should be 50W Rms i was thinking of putting these neerer the back seats and amping them.

What do you guy's think?

Just put in a pair of 4" Sony 's in my Dash, sound great.

Also got a pair of Infinity 5010's 5.25 for the doors which come with tweeters. Was wondering can i put these on without distortion as the 4" speakers have tweeters built in too.

Since the Inifinity tweeters are seperate from the speakers and should be 50W Rms i was thinking of putting these neerer the back seats and amping them.

What do you guy's think?

ditch the 4" speakers and put the component tweeters in the dash instead. you'll get MUCH better staging and clarity than you will from the 4" sonys...