Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

Missing ABS Unit?

Bought a 2.0 ltr 16v in need of a bit of TLC as a bit of a project.

Nothing much wrong with it, save for needing a new exhaust, lambda, sunroof, heater controls and a good service. :)

Spotted (or rather didn't spot) something unusual under the bonnet.

The little back box for the ABS which normally sits beside the washer bottle is missing!

The car's a '94 model, not much older than my VR.

I assumed all Corrado's with ABS had the same setup?

There's an ABS light on the dash and a pump in the engine bay attached to the bulkhead. A multiplug connects to this and leads into the loom under the expansion tank.

The ABS seems to work ok, but the light NEVER comes on.

Has someone half-inched me unit?? :shock:

Do you get the pulse through the brake pedal on ignition, and the little 'clunk' from the system as you start to pull away after first starting it? Those might confirm its definately there, and support Steves suggestion..

The little black box with the 2 fuses in it which is attached to the expansion tank?

That's not for the ABS, it's for the fan run on system... ;) Probably slightly different on a 2.0 16V from either VR or G60 engines... check with someone who's got a 2.0 16V to make sure though... 8)

If the ABS light NEVER comes on, there's a problem with it somewhere and you shouldn't have been getting MOTs... It should turn on for a few seconds as you start the car. If it's not, then prise it out and check it's plugged in properly, they have been known to come loose...

sciroccotune, huh? Do you mean you don't have the box or you do have it and it's missing on MikeVR6's car?

If the ABS light NEVER comes on, there's a problem with it somewhere and you shouldn't have been getting MOTs...

Surely if the light never comes on, there is nothing to fail the MOT on? As I understand, it is only if the light comes on that they will fail you for having a 'warning light', even not knowing what it means. That's why you can then pass by taking th bulb out!

The ABS should fail safe, i.e. off, anyhow. But it this case, it seems that it works OK but no light - I reckon the bulb's gone!

when you turn the ignition on the light should come on and go off within 5-15 seconds if it doesnt come on at all then its an mot failure

If I remeber a discussion that took place in a previous thread, an MOT tester will also physically check for an ABS system on a car and check that its in working order.. I think the ABS light should come on when the ignition first comes on and then extinguish if it all checks out - if that light doesn't come on at any point, then it shows that the ABS system is somehow totally inactive or has been bypassed - that will result in a fail.

edit..

Dazzy managed to sum it up quicker than me, but it seems we were trying to say the same thing ;)

I've been on here long enough to know about the dreaded ABS light not working problem.

In-fact my VR had the light disconnected when I bought it.

Thankfully it was only two dead wheel sensors throwing up a fault.

I'm glad Henny has said this little box isn't for the ABS but the fan run-on.

I did wonder since there's an ABS ECU in the footwell and a pump on the bulkhead, what function this box serves on a Corrado.

Even if it's for the fan though.

Why is it present on a '92 16v and not a '94 one?

As they say, a picture paints a thousand words.

So here's 3 pics...

The First one is my '94 2.0ltr 16v, with the empty space where the little box should be.

The Second's my own '95 VR6. (shiny clean) 8)

The Third is my mate's '92 16v.

MikeVR6, Another oddity into the equation - G60's with ABS have that unit, in your picture, fitted. G60's without ABS don't !!

AFAIK - both types of G60 have the same fan & fan motor. Both types also have ambient air temp sensors fitted - the cooling fan on both cars can run-on for some time after use.

yup, Steve's right there...

J-DUB has ABS AND the block by the expansion tank.

H-YYU hasn't got ABS and doesn't have the block, instead the relays and in line fuses are up by the interior fan...

Go figure... VW do some weird things at times! :lol:

H-YYU hasn't got ABS and doesn't have the block, instead the relays and in line fuses are up by the interior fan...

As in if you take the passenger shelf off and look underneath and up they are up there???

If so that makes sense because that is a ABS relay location.

I'd have thought that he's asking why his ABS doesn't work and if it's anything to do with the missing (fan control) module near to the expansion tank...

The answer to which would be "NO, that module is nothing to do with the ABS so you need to get your car onto a tester so that the fault codes can be read to find out what the ABS fault is..."

Henny has it exactly right.

Because I'd only seen these units on ABS equipped Corrados, I assumed they had something to do with the ABS.

Hence I posted this in the Drivetrain section.

Why would a '94 16v not have a fan run-on unit then?

Did they all come with them?

My old '91 16v certainly had none of this jiggery pokery going on.

I'm going to borrow VAG-Com later this week and see what errors it throws up.