Sign in to follow this  
Ronan

How much is....

OK, definitely looking into getting a G60 soon, and I just wondered how much these parts/repairs typically are on a corrado:

Front splitter, howmuch for a new one?

Sunroof/Spoiler - I know this is a common problem and I have heard stories saying oh the motors are X amount each etc etc, typically, how much is that to repair?

Faulty alarm which is draining the battery - i know they came with alarms from the factory so how much would that be?

I know these are vague questions, but just an average/estimate will do.

Cheers,

Ronan

deep front splitter - about £60 from http://www.gpcvwaudi.com/ (prices are backwards on the site!)

i'd ditch the alarm and get a good, modern one as i doubt the factory ones are up to the thatcham standards which many insurers will require, probably about £200 + fitting.

yup, with Chris on those two, although I'd budget a little over £300 for the alarm so you have some money to pay for the removal of the old system as well as the fitting of the new one... 8)

The sunroof problems don't tend to be motor problems... there's a weak point in the mechanism which breaks causing the problems with jamming/scratching of the roof panel. The repair parts are around £125 if I remember correctly, but the labour to install the parts can be quite expensive, and if the roof panel is scratched you're gonna need it respraying too...

Spoiler problems tend to be wiring faults or sensor problems rather than the motor, so costs can vary due to labour costs invoved in finding where the fault is... :|

the £60 for the front spoiler is then plus vat and p&p :-(

the sunroof scratching is normally worn waterplate guides so people leave it and just use the tilt as it only affects the slide

...and get the best possible car for as much as you can afford.

My first C was all cosmetically dressed up to the look the part, then bits literally started dropping off!

Make sure you have a good look around, and try to buy as genuine a car as you can. You dont always get what you pay for. First time round, I paid good money for a bad car (off an ugly geezer as it happens)

You are already doing the right thing by asking questions in this forum. You wont find better advice mate. Good luck.

I've seen another G which tickle's my manly fancy-stick, what do you guys think, is it a little overpriced or is it worth the money he's asking?

Auto Trader Link

Thanking you muchly

seems a bit pricey for a '60, you're into 'reasonable' vr6 money there, yeah its had a few mods but I dont think it warrents a couple of grand on the average price.

Removed for you :)

You can edit your own posts with the edit button at the top right of your post, or you can delete it completely by clicking on the X button :)

It does seem pricey but buying a well modded car straight off is much cheaper than doing it yourself unless you're not into modifying the car. Make sure all the receipts are there though and look for a well loved car with plenty of regular oil changes. That seems like a reasonable price to me. When I got mine I made sure that I got one with sound bodywork as panels are costly to repair, replace and respray. As Henny says, spoiler problems are often easily sorted by cutting a single wire (behind the h/u) so don't worry about that too much. Things that often need doing are rear brake calipers and rear suspension bushes. Mk 3 or 4 GTi rear calipers are good bolt-on replacements and cost about £90 a corner. I can't remember how much my replacement bushes were :oops: Scour the forum and you'll get a feel for what to look out for. There's a buyers guide somewhere too. :)

Yeah I read the buyers guide, that told me what to look out for but I couldn't get a good idea of exactly how much things would cost me.

I've been looking at other Corrados, but I think if I got one I would want some of the mods already done, Yes I am in modifying my own car, but as I am on a budget I'd like the expensive thing's to have been done for me already!

So one person says that G60 is worth it, and one doesn't - I'm back where I started again! I'm meant to be looking at it tomoro, any more opinions?

to be fair Neil owns a g60, i dont. I'd pay more attention to what he says than you do to me!

Oh man, I'm flattered! :) :lol: (Most don't pay any attention to what I say and probably for good reason)

Most of what I said applies to all Corrado's. I've found them quite an expensive ownership proposition. Something to bear in mind. :)

seems a bit pricey for a '60, you're into 'reasonable' vr6 money there, yeah its had a few mods but I dont think it warrents a couple of grand on the average price.

I'd rather have that over any standard VR tho!! Good G60's are becoming rare and therefore should be worth the same if not more as an equivilent VR.

I have considered a VR but I have plumped for a G because I think they're easier to tune than a VR6? I might be totally wrong there, but never mind. I don't wanna go spending loads on an engine rebuild on a VR6 to get more power out of it, when with a G you can refurb the charger, pulley, chip, etc etc....

Any more opinions on this G60?

Thanks guys, the advice is appreciated. And yeah, I've been warned that owning a Corrado can be an expensive experience!

G60's are easier to tune as a general rule (forced induction cars always are) although as with all car tuning you need to do it properly. Cheaper to rebuild than a VR too. Still, some love the VR's and wouldn't consider a G. Maybe worth going to a few local meets and get taken out for a ride in both and make up your own mind. See which camp you belong in! (Ignore people who say G-Laders are unreliable. If you have them rebuilt every 40K after the cars first 70K you'll be fine. Stay away from Jabba rebilds though and look for one rebuilt by G-Werks or JMR)