Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

What sizes of tyres for 8 x 17" rims ?

Hey all,

I need to decide what sizes of tyres to put onto my rims. I have a set of 8 x 17", ET26 (ET46 but ET26 with 20 mm adapters) rims that are going to be fitted to my corrado. The car will be lowered on H&R coilovers with VR6 topmounts, uprated bushes and poss. Eibach ARB's. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on which tyres sizes to go for to have the best compromise between looks, handling and clearance ? I was thinking 205/40 R17 for the rear but nor sure about front ?

Cheers

et26 with 8" wheels is going to be tight no matter what tyre you choose, I'd agree with 205/40/17 but for both front and rear, any narrower and they're going to be fairly streched... unless you like that look of course!

i would agree with the above and favor a 205/40/... 17"

que struans next post..... "which 205/40/17 tyres should i go for.? :wink:"

Darren, the wheels are 17", so why would I want 16" tyres ?? Also I know which tyres I want it's just the sizes for 8 x 17" wheels I was after as I am not using to running this size of wheel.

Cheers

BigTartanTimmeh, I think you knew what i ment.. :ignore:

I would recomend nero-zero tyres btw... :wink:

if you wanted to stretch a little more here is some 195's on TT rims which work very well imho.

here is some 195's on TT rims which work very well imho.

eek! look at all that unprotected alloy! :? wouldnt last 5mins with the curbs around here ;)

Nero Zeros and SP9000s....good choices people!

I ran 215/40/17 on my 8 by Sevs and found the extra sidewall flex quite nice, but they rubbed the outer arch and spring plate at the rear over severe compressions.

I now use F1 GSD3 205/40s and they're brilliant for ride comfort and have unbeatable wet grip.

I've heard the older Conti sport contacts are good with 17s too and Uniroyal Rainsports are also a popular tyre in Europe.

I've got 205/40x17 Avon ZZ3's on my 8x17's.. And yup, I've already kerbed a wheel..

The tyre shop accidentaly put a 215/40 on the passenger front wheel and it rubbed loads. I've got it swapped now.

Ok so do people reckon I will have clearance issue with running these wheels on my rado ? Will be running 8 x 17", ET26 (ET46 but ET26 with 20 mm adapters) rims that are going to be fitted to my corrado. The car will be lowered on H&R coilovers with VR6 topmounts, uprated bushes and poss. Eibach ARB's. Have heard some folk say you need to have an offset of around ET15 when running 8" or wider rims ? If so should I just get 30 mm adapters instead of 20 mm ones.

Any useful advice appreciated,

Cheers

It will be tight depending on your ride height.... You want about a ET20/25 for 8" rims.

I run 205/40/17's on my 8.5x17 Vette rims and ran the same on my 8.5x17" porker rims too. Why people complain about kerbs I don't know, if you can't park a car without smacking a kurb you shouldn't be on the road. People don't complain about walls being in the way of their bumpers....... :)

Jay

Why people complain about kerbs I don't know, if you can't park a car without smacking a kurb you shouldn't be on the road. People don't complain about walls being in the way of their bumpers.......

So True !!!