Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

How many Rados still in Germany?

Just read on a German forum the number of registered Rados (according to their "DVLA"):

G60

Total: 10616

With Dieselengine: 21

4-wheel drive: 2

female owners: 2.116

VR6 (905)

Total: 3535

With Dieselengine: 2

4-wheel drive: 2

female owners: 596

16V (904)

Total: 3.305

With Dieselengine: 1

4-wheel drive: 0

female owners: 773

2.0 (925)

Total : 1.654

With Dieselengine: 0

4-wheel drive: 0

female owners: 450

There you go, another bit of useless Rado trivia from the biggest market for Rados (GB being the 2nd biggest :-) ).

Tempest

I have a german friend who is a car market analysts and he reckons that the corrado is the 'boy racer' car to have in germany. Old men drive 911's.

Over here boy racers have shity Novas, Fiestas etc. Boy we are a classy country!

Wow! The G60 seriously outsold the VR over there then! Interesting trivia tho :)

most of the cars ive seen (through internet and show pics) from germany tend to be VR6's though :? weird or maybe i jus like the way them VR's are done

The G60 seriously outsold the VR over there then!

Reason is simple: The Germans have several road tax brackets, not just the 2 that we have (i.e. below 1500 cc and above 1500 cc engine size for older cars). The VR6 was just too expensive from a road tax point of view, and almost similar in performance to the G60 (for most anyway :lol:), which was cheaper in road tax.

How many corrados were produced totally ? 100.000 or more ?

Around the 95000-mark.

that the corrado is the 'boy racer' car to have in germany. Old men drive 911's.

It certainly is true that Rados are cheaper in Germany than they are over here, hence that could explain the "boy racer" bit. I do find that the 911 is an old man's car here, too, as I passed one in my Mk1 today, him looking at my stunner of a Mk1 Rocco :-), wondering what the heck it was, no doubt. i just boringly looked at his "run-of-the-mill" 911 :lol:

Tempest

How many corrados were produced totally ? 100.000 or more ?

Karmann quote 97,521.

This ties in with chassis number of about 97,408, given the difference may be non roadworthy test cars etc. (There is an automatic VR6 prototype in the UK (LHD) which was supposed to have been scrapped at the factory. Came to light cos the car's wiring didn't match the wiring diagrams and the dealership couldn't resolve the owner's problem. VAG UK attempted to buy the car back!)

Am I right in thinking that only 9000 were shipped to the uk? Anyone know how many are still registered etc.?

So what do the figures in brackets mean, whats left?

IIRC that's the VW type number for the car...

I have a german friend who is a car market analysts and he reckons that the corrado is the 'boy racer' car to have in germany. Old men drive 911's.

Over here boy racers have **** Novas, Fiestas etc. Boy we are a classy country!

No offence Tempest, but wasn't the 'rocco the Capri equivalent in Germany too :)

but wasn't the 'rocco the Capri equivalent in Germany too

No way, the Rocco is definitely miles better :-) You are right though, that Ford's competitor at the time was the Capri. Press reports at the time, however, praised the superior handling characteristics of the Mk1 Rocco chassis :-)

Tempest

Are myself and Riley the only ones to be slightly curious about the "dieselengine" and "four wheel drive" bits??

Are myself and Riley the only ones to be slightly curious about the "dieselengine" and "four wheel drive" bits??

Similar to the UK I guess, you must have to record certain modifications that are made, like colour changes or capacity. There must be a few Diesel and 4*4 C's in the UK now.

David.

(a) about 9,500 C's imported into the UK - no doubt Tempest has the accurate number!

(b) does anyone know anyone at the DVLA that might be able to supply similar information? I'd certainly be interested, and I guess the CCGB would, as they could track the numbers of cars left as time passes......

My money's on about one third being left - 3500, say :notworthy:. Waddya reckon

That doesn't sound like many... but I don't have a clue. Makes my car seem a lot more rare!

about 9,500 C's imported into the UK

Well, there's a question for Schwebe at Karmann, then ;-)

Tempest