Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Audi steering wheel on corrado !?

Hello there !

Has anyone ever fitted a audi steering wheel to a vee dub? I have always liked this steering wheel off the audi coupes,and was wondering if i win one on ebay would it fit ?

If anyone can help cheers !

Well, I've got an Audi S2 with one of those wheels. If you want to do a trial fit send me a PM.

(I'm in Brighton)

ive got one of those wheels spare right here, (also got the s2 one but its still attached to my s2) if you want me to have a look i can do a trial fit on my raddo.

Gav

nope dont fit, the raddo spline is too big. Might be different on the earlier raddo though. The boss comes off on the adui whell so might be able to fit a momo or similar boss

Thanks for trying mate ! Probably going for a momo myself, just got to decide what one? The (Team) one looks quiite nice but im not sure intill I see and feel one up ! I know its a fairly small 300m not sure what the standard vr

one is havnt measured it yet .Its just i dont really want it any smaller.

cheers again! :)

I've got Momos on my G60's - a Millenium and a Corse - must admit the thinner rim on the Corse is much nicer than the really thick rim on the Millemium - have a feel of a few before you make your mind up

The steering wheel on my new corrado was well and truly past it after 140K miles.

Being a cheapskate and not a big fan of aftermarket wheels I trundled off to the loft and found my steering wheel from my old S2 audi. It was an airbag model but I'd already converted that with an alcantara centre piece.

As mentioned above, the only problem was the centre spline, slip ring and indicator cancelling lug.

Off to scrappy for a £5 Mk3 Golf ryder wheel. Cut off the padding and chopped the centre. Turned this on the centre lathe down to a size which I could mount into the S2 wheel.

Chopped the centre out of the S2 wheel with a big 76mm hole saw and mounted the two bits together with a nice piece of ally plate mounted where the old airbad slip ring unit used to be.

Very nice wheel now with indicator cancelling and horn all functioning. Proper leather with a fat profile and with chunky thumb mouldings and raised lips on the lower edge. Still not quite set on the centre piece saying Audi but I'm not so keen on detonating another airbag just to get hold of a new centre piece!

'Bout 4.5 hours all in. Cost to me £5.00 :D

Skills man.....

Is it my eyes or does the S-wheel look pretty big? Then again the Rado's wheel's not exactly small!

Gav, if you still have the wheel about, I think I have an early column in mine, (has the early style interior) so maybe try it at Brands?

Good work and nice pics but it might have been easier just to remove the bigger spline adapter from the Corrado column?

Good work and nice pics but it might have been easier just to remove the bigger spline adapter from the Corrado column?

Oh, and you couldn't have said that two years ago could you :lol:

Aah well - even if it is the right spline underneath I'd still have had to fabricate a slip ring and indicator cancelling lug from scratch so its all much of a muchness I guess!

All that work and it looKs **** IMO. :lol:

I'll go change it back now then!

No - like I said before - still not sure about the curves on the alcantara bit - looks a bit flabby - and I could do with geetting a VW centre instead of the Audi one ..... but thats what I had. Its possibly 40-50mm bigger in diameter than the OE version vut just feels soooo much better than the original offering which just feels cheap & nasty.

Just not sure I can be bothered with getting a VW airbag to dismantle.

All that work and it looKs **** IMO. :lol:

I'll go change it back now then!

No - like I said before - still not sure about the curves on the alcantara bit - looks a bit flabby - and I could do with geetting a VW centre instead of the Audi one ..... but thats what I had. Its possibly 40-50mm bigger in diameter than the OE version vut just feels soooo much better than the original offering which just feels cheap & nasty.

Just not sure I can be bothered with getting a VW airbag to dismantle.

No offence mate :D but it just looks fat and i dont mean "phat" its not right , but hats off to ya for the effort and work i do appreciate that. :D