Sign in to follow this  
fla

Removing rear number plate surround

I've started removing the screws holding the black plastic trim opn and there is one that's pretty much inaccessible as its right behind the mechanism. Any ideas of how to remove it short of removing all of the hardware from the back? - need to remove it for painting. Thanks all.

I didn't think the rear number plate surround was screwed on tbh... I had one off a C in a scrappy a while ago it was only held on with sticky pads - that was an early model though so it may be different on the late ones. I haven't had mine off though so can't be sure! Maybe a pic to show what you mean would help :?

It's only held on with tape and grommets from behind.

Removal usually entails breaking the sodding thing off.

Think new ones are hard to get hold of now, so be wary.

Yep, along the whole length of the bottom of the trim is the stickiest double sided tape known to man. You will be lucky if you don't break the panel when removing it. I cracked mine but plastic welded it back together and then colour coded it. Cheaper than £50 for a new one!

The 4 retainer nuts are easy to get off. It's just the double side tape at the bottom that's a git. I advise you heat the panel up to soften the glue and hope for the best.

Is it worth just removing it altogether, or would that look weird? Anyone done that at all?

The metal behind isn't flat so yeah would look dodge IMO... Due to the way the clips at the bottom work you need to push down rather than pull away from the back btw

if you do break the grommets, which its hard not to, best thing to use is

a BODY BONDING SEALENT, used for back edge of wings, bodyshops use it where they can't weld. Very strong :)

What does the rear tailgate look like without the numberplate surround? Dont fancy colour coding it, just removing it altogether...