Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

Audi Vs VW, A3 Vs Golf..which would you have?

hello Guys some advice needed please.

I have sold my G60 and now on the look out for a new car. I kinda like the older style A3 (about 1999-2000) or a Mk4 Golf. The engine would be the 1.8T either way.

Basically I am after something that would be better MPG and nice to drive. I know neither will be as much fun as the G60. I would like something that doesnt need quite as much work to keep it going.

Has anyone driven either of these cars? Any words of advice, what do you think is a better overall car. I can get a newer Golf compared to the A3, but the A3 is a bit rarer.

I have about £7000 to spend tops.

Cheers

Rich

I would go for an A3 purely because I think they look better. 1.8T (150bhp) seem really flat to me though, recon given the choice I'd have a 1.9TDi over that. You can get the 180bhp A3 Quattro Sport which may be abit more fun and still reliable. The dealer had some for around £10k, might be lucky with £7k private.

emmmmm i like the idea of the quattro sport but i thought the quattro system is the same as the one used in the S3 and that needs regular oil changes etc and can get very expensive!

I looked at the TDI but I cant get over the exhaust note, Im shallow like that.

Same here.. the Audi costs more and I don't find it any nicer to look at than the MK4 Golf. Their stealer workshop rates are higher as well! :)

Yeah the Golf any day. A3 steering is cr@p. Lifeless and numb and it's an Estate Agent's car. Golfs are classless and timeless.

My mate's got a 150bhp Golf MK4 1.8T with black leather Recaros, A/C, Revo'd to 195bhp/223lb/ft, Neuspeed ARBs, Eibach Springs and 17s and I tell you what, it gives my car a good run for it's money and easily keeps up in the bends.

I think its the ease with which you can bolt up upgrades and parts all the way up and down the Golf range which makes it so appealing for me. But in the same way it also makes some of the 'higher spec' ones seem horrendously overpriced. Anniversary body kit, wheels, brakes etc can be added for a lot less than the anniversary actually costs! :)

id have to say the golf aswell. the standard suspension set up is loads better than the a3.

however... if you plan on playing with suspension and remaps then id say the a3 as it has a much nicer interior and i think it looks better.

I would still go with a mk4, even tho the A3 prob looks slightly better.

For the price of a 130 a3 tdi, you could get a 150tdi golf.

For the price of a 150 1.8t a3, you could prob get a 180 1.8t Golf.

I take it you have not been in a remapped 150tdi golf then? Trust me, you will like it. :lol:

Thanks for the replies guys. I am sure that the TDI is an awesome car, of that im in no doubt at all. its just the sound that puts me off.....

Yeah I am leaning towards the MK4, just because you can get more car for your money. I think a 180bhp golf is out of my price bracket although :(

Now I just got to find one!!

OK fair do's, take a visit to blue flame and put a panel filter on it and you will not know it's a diesel! LOL.

The 150 1.8t remaps almost as well as the 180 anyway, just make sure it's a KO3S turbo, have you considered an Ibiza Cupra? with the remap,exhaust,air filter & TIP you are looking at over 200+bhp if you get an x reg or later, there only about £5k+ too!

i did think about the Cupra, but I dont really want a 5-door. I am difficult I know!!!

I think I need a post 2000 car to get the K03S turbo?? so thats what im looking at!

I think the MK4 with a few mods looks real nice, just need one in a dark colour as 80% of them in the area are silver..

Thanks for the advice.

Son of a Beesting, I think you should buy a Seat Leon Cupra, just like the one I have for sale :wink: Its 180bhp, with a very similar interior to the A3, 2000 X reg for £4000. You could revo it to 207bhp and still have about over £2400 left out of your £7000. Click the link in my signature if you fancy a look.

Din't know they did a 5 door cupra!?

it's a bit more sporty then the mk4 but build/ride quality trade off.

yea x reg and after is KO3S I think. you might as well get the forge tip aswell, especially if you remap it.

i did think about the Cupra, but I dont really want a 5-door. I am difficult I know!!!

I think I need a post 2000 car to get the K03S turbo?? so thats what im looking at!

I think the MK4 with a few mods looks real nice, just need one in a dark colour as 80% of them in the area are silver..

Thanks for the advice.

Some decent wheels make the world of difference on a MK4.. thinking about some Santa Monica reps or some RS6 reps for mine and a sensible suspension drop.. looks about 10x better than on the stock Avus II's! :)

Notice how I say replicas.. this is because I don't have the kind of cash lying around that customised and polished BBS wheels command ;)

love the rs4's, are they the same as the rs6's? you will be losing a bit of handling/acceleration tho, I guess you could have a compromise between performance/looks, not quite the same IMO tho. Just thought, were you talking about the leon when you said you didn't like the 5 doors? because I was talking about the Ibiza.

RS6's are the same chunky 5 spokes you get on an Audi RS6.. trust me though, they look awesome on a black MK4!

(stops going OT!)

OK, don't think I have seen them, I know I like the RS4's tho, slot has them on his C. Think 17s would be a good size to get, but think they do them up to 19/20! LOL.

And don't have the cash! thats what credit cards are for! LOL.

Samm_cvr6 - Sorry mate didnt read post properly, I was thinking Leon! An ibiza...have to have a look. They are based on the polo aint they?

Jim- Yeah been looking on the uk-mkivs website and know what you mean, like I said a few suitable mods and your laughin!!