Sign in to follow this  
BlueRado

Connollising

Hi folks - I've got the beige leather recaro interior in my motor and it's looking a bit tired to be honest. Has anyone had the leather interior in their car Connollised? If so, do you know of any companies who offer the service in the S. Yorks / Derbyshire area?

Thanks in advance.

Bri.

You can buy dye and filler kits from the states which are good quality and basically the stuff the pros use over here, but they charge about £300-£400 to reconnollise a whole interior.

I can't remember the URL but I saw of the non fading type and it was only about 50 bucks!

Whilst on the subject, anyone know if it's possible to 'fatten up' and re cover a steering wheel rim?

companies who offer the service in the S. Yorks / Derbyshire area?

MJ Interiors are based in Shipley I think, not sure if they do what your after but worth a phone.

anyone know if it's possible to 'fatten up' and re cover a steering wheel rim?

Yeah it is - you can get a leather "wheel cover" which is sized on the diameter, not one of the standard cheapo wheel covers. Its then a slow process with a leather sewing needle and the right coloured thread to "stich it back on. You need to specify the dia of the cross-section so that when the cover is stitched both sides fit flush and not with a gap in between. About £30 iirc, cant remember the company though. Will have a look and try and get back to you.

[quo

Whilst on the subject, anyone know if it's possible to 'fatten up' and re cover a steering wheel rim?

I had sentimental Momo recovered by MJ Interiors. He did a top job IMO but it was pricey at £70, Junior said it didn't reflect the time taken though. He does them in front of the telly on a night. I could have had a new wheel for not much more.

Gavin

sorry but its actually called tanallising, my mate had hes esprit done 2 years ago, and it still looks really clean, if you give paul matty sports cars a ring 01527 835 656, they are in bromsgrove, they will tell you who thay use, it cost my mate £100 for all the leather to be treated, and it took 2 days for it to be done, :)

its also called tanallising, as the web site you posted says.

Leather reconditioning, and recolouring using traditional methods.

Sometimes called connollising, after the famous connolly leather company

its also called tanallising, as the web site you posted says.

Leather reconditioning, and recolouring using traditional methods.

Sometimes called connollising, after the famous connolly leather company

I'm sorry but I'll have to correct you - I said 'sometimes' called connollising, because most people have no idea what it's called! But the process is called connollising.

As far as I know, Tanallising is a chemical process for treating wood, and I think you may be getting confused with Tanning - so called because the leather is stained brown with tannin. The tannin comes from doggy poo (called 'tosh' in the trade) - the person who used to rub the dung into the leather was called a tanner, the person who walked the streets collecting dog dropping was called a Tosher.

However, this has nothing to do with the process we use to colour leather. The Connolly Leather Company developed special paints for colouring leather, and only when using these paints can you say you are connollising.

Clean Image decided to switch to using these Connollising paints because the acrylic paints used by most of the smart repair companies were... crap! They would wipe off when you tried to clean or condition the seats. So we wanted to use the origional gear the same as was used at the factory.

However, now most of the leather is treated with acrylic paints at the factory, and the acrylic paints available to companies like ours are much improved. We still believe the proper Connolly paints are more hard wearing, especially on high wear areas like steering wheels, now we are using both kinds.

Clean_Image, thanks for taking the time to clear that up!

Feel free to put a list of services and prices in our suppliers section - forum discout maybe :lol: