Sign in to follow this  
CorradoVR6-Turbo

CorradoVR6-n.o.s's VR6 Turbo,,now sold :(

Tensioner looks well past it, mine was 2k earlier than that and just about to lose the top part. But I guess they'll rattle along quite nicely, as some have done 140K.

My ARP stuff arrived today, so it'll be a big push at the weekend. New clutch and rear mounts ordered too, don't want that big old lump thrashing about and breaking the new downpipe.

Getting on slowly but surely. Although I may have to speed up a bit cos the head gasket seems to be going down hill on my MKII runaround... DOH. That'll be two cars on the drive in bits!

Please do machine the manifold guys, it won't seal properly otherwise. I've told IBIVR about it and hopefully he'll sort it with future castings.

Yep the spacer / MK4 gasket setup seals perfectly but I would run a little Head gasket sealant around cylinder 1 as the head isn't clamped down as tightly there, otherwise you'll get a slight sweat of oil down the block. It's a normal 12V trait, but easily fixable. Don't forget to bin the O ring for the NR valve in the block next to cyl 1 as you won't need it with the MK4 gasket, and also make sure the valve is dead flush with the block.

Interesting the cam sprockets moved slightly with the spacer, I found mine lined up perfectly, same as stock. It ran exceptionally well too (VR T's are soooooooo smooth on boost!) so must have been right!

The biggest problem with the box isn't spin, but rather 3rd gear! It can strip real easy. There are no specific guidelines on what it can handle, even the Vento VR6 cup challenge cars used to strip 3rd with stock engines....but they ran big slicks and the torque that would normally spin away safely on the road car, couldn't, so the box retained all the stress and something has to give - i.e. 3rd! So it's safer on the box to under clutch to hp and don't use the grippiest tyres known to man, then it should hold. I've stuck with narrow 7x17s to allow a bit of spin.

The ultimate solution is the 02M gearbox and there is an excellent 'how to' guide on the Vortex.

I hope your top end spec'd 35R doesn't come in with too much of a violent shove (I know the T70 does) as that can bugger up 3rd too. That is partly why I've stuck with the shorter 3.68 FD and a smaller, more progressive turbo. Easier box for the engine to turn and less of a drivetrain shock from the leaf blower - but then I'm very anal about daily driving reliability as you know ;-)

Anyway, enough about me....... get your arses in gear Dave and James, looking forward to seeing / hearing these beasts!

Oh and don't be alarmed by the apparent play in the GT turbo's shaft, it's normal as they have no thrust bearings. Did you get the oil restrictor? GT's need much less oil and if the pressure is over 60psi (which it is and then some on the VR), you need the inline restrictor.

What turbo you using out of interest? sorry i meant to add AR spec's etc I know its a GT35R

Inlet is A/R .70 and the exhaust is A/R .82 with a T3 flange and V-Band for the outlet.

Did you get the oil restrictor? GT's need much less oil and if the pressure is over 60psi (which it is and then some on the VR), you need the inline restrictor.

Cheer Kev,I've got the oil restrictor from ATP and I've machined flat the cast side on my manifold tonight as well,so far all going well.

Took off the sump and oil pump and drilled plus tapped a hole in my block for the turbo drain as Kev gave me the idea for drainage to the block instead of the sump. :wink:

Now that I can see the length of drainage hose I need making up its quite short,about 5 " at the most!

Here is the manifold machined down by me tonight...nice and level 8)

DSCN0438.jpg

The hole for drainage...

DSCN0425.jpg

Inside view..sorry for the poor pic.. :roll:

DSCN0429.jpg

The finished result 8)

DSCN0434.jpg

Top work chap 8) And so quick too :shock: You're lucky having access to a ramp, saves so much time and faffing!

Glad you've done the manifold too, that'll save a few curses and 30 mins with a drill and helicoil kit :-)

Yeah the oil return line is indeed very short, which is a good thing where turbos are concerned! You can also deck the suspension right to the weeds and the CV boot still won't rub on the oil line!

Blimey, yours is the only VR I've seen with the driveshaft damper ring still attached!

:lol: that damper will probably fly off in due course! :-P

Yea ther is loads of clearnce from the CV joint/shaft,so no worries there!

Its not just a ramp that's handy,its the warm workshop with air tools act that make all of what I do move quickly,where I lack in funds I make up by saving loads in doing it myself 8)

But the most important item is the Kettle.... :lol:

Cheers Bally :thumbleft:

Got a few more bits done tonight,fitted manifold and turbo,oil line and drain,started to make up the downpipe.

Made good progress tonight,going to finish it off tomorrow.

Manifold and turbo fitted and stared the downpipe.

DSCN0442.jpg

DSCN0447.jpg

DSCN0448.jpg

DSCN0449.jpg

DSCN0446.jpg

DSCN0443.jpg

Thats all for tonight...off to bed :sleeping:

Brilliant!

Can't believe how fast you're doing this! You'll be 600 bhp'ing your way down the road by Sunday! Top job.

That is a much nicer front pipe than mine. I wanted to go over the cables too, but it was a bloody nightmare doing on axle stands and not being able to weld as it was. Did you use the Jetex elbows too? Handy those.

Cheers Kev,must admit I would absolutely hate to do this job on the ground like you lot did! No way!

Think 600hp is a long way off,I don't want to put any more money into this until a house is bought :cry: But 300hp will do.... :D

I used a straight section,two 90's and one 45 from ARP and two 30 deg + one reducer from Jetex,ended up using one 90 and two 30 to do the job.

It is handy being able to weld it as you go,I even bought a Chop Saw just to cut the pipes nice and straight as the thought of a hacksaw brought back bad memories of the intercooler plumbing :lol:

Off to work now.going to finish fitting the 6" flex and the V-band and see how it goes might do the waistgate!

top marks James, when do you reckon you'll finish? and how long before the 4wd itch needs to be scratched?

top marks James, when do you reckon you'll finish? and how long before the 4wd itch needs to be scratched?

Long time yet :lol: but it will happen :o should be finished next week,if i get time !

Got my downpipe finished off and the rest of the exhaust,the hardest part was the waistgate,it was to be spot on before you weld it up so everything lines up,some sort of 1.5" flexi would have been ideal.

If forgot how quiet the engine is without the charger.....bliss 8)

More pics,not finished wrapping it aup as ive run out :roll:

DSCN0455.jpg

DSCN0457.jpg

DSCN0460.jpg

DSCN0461.jpg

Bloody hell James, getting a move on!!

Nice job too! Like the pipe around the cables idea. Going to make a start on my downpipe next week.

Mines all back together now head, chains, clutch, gearbox etc.

Oh and my cams still line up with the spacer in???

I tried a few times to get the cams right Dave,its either half a tooth forward or backwards? It does make sense that you raise the head by 3mm it will pull the cams back? I will see what happens,its running now sound nice but doesn't like stock injectors at all!

Where did you get your Megasquirt bits from Dave is your motor dizzy or coilpack? Im thinking of going down the MS route but need to learn allot more and there is so much info!

Hurry up you have had all your bits long before me :lol:

I tried a few times to get the cams right Dave,its either half a tooth forward or backwards

i had this as well, james.

Bit late now but do you know of the place at the end of scotswood road? They have a pipe bending machine and do stainless and titanium etc and produce pipes such as your downpipe in one piece. alternatively, they sell pre-manufactured bends or can bend to any angle. i often get a bag of irregular bends from them that they've accumulated from previous jobs. they also have a flaring machine - for example, i've had 55mm stainless pipes flared up to 80mm no problem.

I know the one your on about,but i had ordered most of my bits from ATP and they are cheap from the states!

You have to start off with a pipe before they can make one in one piece,not bothered now i only need the one,maby get one shaped up for some sort of Group buy VRT kits?

I tried a few times to get the cams right Dave,its either half a tooth forward or backwards? It does make sense that you raise the head by 3mm it will pull the cams back? I will see what happens,its running now sound nice but doesn't like stock injectors at all!

Where did you get your Megasquirt bits from Dave is your motor dizzy or coilpack? Im thinking of going down the MS route but need to learn allot more and there is so much info!

Hurry up you have had all your bits long before me :lol:

Strange that? Still as long as nothings touching. Guess you could always give it a bit most boost to compensate! :D

MS bits from the Glens Garage in the states http://www.glensgarage.com/catalog/index.php you can get bits from the UK, but the guy doesn't have a website, just email.

I'm running a coilpack but dizzy would easier as it needs less mods to the standard V3 board. I could send you a shopping list if you like. All my stuff is posted on here if you havent seen it already http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49561&highlight=megasquirt. Give me a shout if you need any help, I might even build one for you if you twist my arm enough?

Real good progress this w-end. Gearbox was a git to get back in, oh for a workshop and a ramp :( but it's done now!

Looking good mate, i dont think there are many non FI VR's left around the sunderland/Durham area with yours, H8RRA's, Chris VR6NOS's and mine about ! have you lowered the CR ratio on yours with a spacer ?

We will have to have a meet when the weather gets nicer !

H8RRA wrote

i had this as well, james.

Bit late now but do you know of the place at the end of scotswood road? They have a pipe bending machine and do stainless and titanium etc and produce pipes such as your downpipe in one piece. alternatively, they sell pre-manufactured bends or can bend to any angle. i often get a bag of irregular bends from them that they've accumulated from previous jobs. they also have a flaring machine - for example, i've had 55mm stainless pipes flared up to 80mm no problem.

This is the guy who tried to make a manifold for my car, he made a right ar$e of it, it wouldnt fit and he still wanted me to pay £400 for it ! Id payed a 50% deposit and he wouldnt refund it ! He said he couldnt mod it either !, i still need to see him bout my refund this has reminded me !! suppose he will be ok to get offcuts etc from tho !

Jimmi............

Cheers Jimmi :wink: Ive missed a few gatherings due to work commitments and the raddo being in bits :lol:

Your a Painter Jimmi? are you any good as im wanting some work doing to mine at somepoint and could do with you having a quick once over and grab a pint? I will PM you sometime.

Got a few more pics,looking like an engine bay now,not allot to do but still plenty if ya know what I mean :lol:

I think VR6's were meant to be turbo'd

:twisted:

DSCN0475.jpg

DSCN0481.jpg

DSCN0479.jpg

DSCN0476.jpg

DSCN0477.jpg

Cheers 8)