Sign in to follow this  
timg60

removing side strips

Hi there.

I want rid of those horrible plastic strips off the side of my rado. I have been told that they are only glued on. Is this true? can I just pull them off and do I need to do it when I get a respray or can the paintwork be cleaned up behind the strips?

Any Advice?

Tim

. I have been told that they are only glued on. Is this true? can I just pull them off

Stuck on with strong doublesided tape.

Use a heat gun or hair dryer and gently ease off.

What's left use something like white spirit to soften the tape on the body or carefully remove with a rubber wheel tool.

There are previous topics on this in more detail.

sometimes they just pull off without a hair dryer......if you're lucky? :D

autoglym do a product called " tar and glue remover" ...its as hot as a proverbial pie when it comes to getting sticky stuff from your paint.

Cheers guys.

Know what I am doing on my next day off.

Just hope they are not hiding something horrible!!!!!!

Beware of the dreaded rust monster!!!!!!!!

I have got a funny feeling thats going to happen.

Bought her 3 weeks ago as an mot faliure and have given her some tlc.

Only prob was when she had a proper valet I noticed evidence of a bad respray.

Oh Bugger looks like the respray has gone to the top of my wish list!!!!!!!!!!

ditto mate, getting my inca blue rado resprayed also, looks like its bleached in the sun a tad as ive fitted a rear spoiler cos the other was peeling laquor. By the way, when getting full respray (this maybe a stupid question) will they respray the bumbers and mirrors and rear spoiler as theyre not metal, theyre plastic.

will they respray the bumbers and mirrors and rear spoiler as theyre not metal, theyre plastic

Wouldn't that depend on what you've been quoted for?

The only difference is the paint needs and elasticer added to it. The sprayer will know this otherwise the paint cracks & flakes after a while.

Ask them.

The only difference is the paint needs and elasticer added to it. The sprayer will know this otherwise the paint cracks & flakes after a while.

Also worth getting them to mix a small percentage of this into the front end parts (wings and bonnet) to help resist stone chips..

Also worth getting them to mix a small percentage of this into the front end parts (wings and bonnet) to help resist stone chips..

most decent bodyshops now have a mix for stonechip prevention which makes the paint soft but thich to avoid this

most decent bodyshops now have a mix for stonechip prevention which makes the paint soft but thich to avoid this

Ah cool, I knew they did something like that with mine... maybe easier to do with the waterbased paint they now use...

Only problem with removing te side strips is that you lose ALL of te C's protection form dings!! There isnt much protection anyway, and with the strips removed its a bit naked.

Just my 2 pennies worth :)

(Looks good tough)

hmm thing id rather have the rub strips there. like Stan said it stops any of those inconsiderate barstewards who dont give sh!t about banging anyone else door with theirs. Id keep em on, they dont look that bad on. Admittingly the look better off but i think on would be my choice.

Well,

Guess what!

Bad respray and looks like someone has tried to bolt them on by drilling through the door skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUCH

Back on they went and there they will stay untill spray time!!

When you lower your C, the protection strips are rendered useless as they're far too low to be of any use. However, I prefer the look of them being there, so I coded mine and reattached them. Plus I have a narrow drive, so the strip hits the wall before the door does, so they are useful.

When you lower your C, the protection strips are rendered useless as they're far too low to be of any use. However, I prefer the look of them being there, so I coded mine and reattached them. Plus I have a narrow drive, so the strip hits the wall before the door does, so they are useful.

was parked next to a range rover other day and my roof was level to the door handle... was thinking if he was a bit higher and me a bit lower his door would miss me completely :lol:

i swear corrado panels are made out of butter...not even my pug used to get parking dents or maybe the fello public are jus to jealous of corrado's and jus like bashing them

i swear corrado panels are made out of butter...not even my pug used to get parking dents or maybe the fello public are jus to jealous of corrado's and jus like bashing them

I think that must be it mate.. i've not picked up a single ding in my Golf yet and I just park it any old place in the car parks in Coventry. I was really selective with where I parked the Rado and that picked em up like you wouldn't believe!

I actually de-stripped mine last week. It took a fecking age!! I had read it takes a while, a hairdrier, and alot of patience, but i didnt think it would take as long as it did. I didnt have a tool or anything, so it was alot of hairdrier use. Im pleased as i think its improved it no end, but i wouldnt do it again!!