Sign in to follow this  
Tekara

Rear Geometry / Alignment Advice

Might as well update here too. Discovered i'd been worrying about nothing - Had mine done at the weekend by Vince and to my pleasure everything was spot on rear camber and toe were all in tolerance and perfectly balanced. My front camber had been set up with minimal negative by the previous alignment place which gave my rear camber the impression that it was way too negative - All is set up sooper duper now and feeling fantastic for it. Another brownie point for Stealth again. we were way past the normal closing time on a Sat and Vince was still re- adjusting again and again to get the toe and camber absolutley identicle on both sides. Good show. For information Vince can now get the shims to adjust rear camber and toe. Though he thinks it'll take a minimum of four hours to sort and thats banking on the fact you get the right shim first time round.

Oops forgot about this, i should update my situation.

A new set of rear bushes cured my problem, garage said the old ones were breaking up. To finish it off a alignment job has now cured most of the handling issues.

Henny, i got a mate who works in a sheet metal factory to surface grind a bunch of washers down to different thickness's and tried out different combinations between the stub axle and the axle beam. Got it pretty matched to the other side by eye then back on the laser and its within tolerance! Just a hell of a lot of trail and error but beats a new axle eh?

Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind me intruding on your thread, being a newbie and all, but I am hoping for some advice. I have a g60 and have recently replaced the front SuperSport adjustable coilovers, like for like (I was working with a budget otherwise would have replaced the lot with something better). I had a friend do it for me and he left the ride height a little higher as I thought it would look better. However now the wheels look like they're sitting too upright, a more positive camber than before. Does anyone know the correct camber settings and if they are the same regardless of the height of the suspension.

Also now my steering wheel is off centre. I had the tracking checked and it was well within the tolerances. So how can it have moved?

Any recommendations as to a good place to go to have it sorted out would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Beaker, Most body repair centres will have the equipment needed to correctly measure & adjust the front camber. Depending on your suspension height, laser measuring/alingment equipment may be required.

Thanks for your input Stevemac. I've had it all done now by one of those laser alignment places. I just wasn't sure if they would actually know what setting it should be and if they could/would actually adjust it for me. It now feels great to drive again!

Doesn't the camber change with suspension height though? I.e. If you have to lift the car to fit the alinement gear, will camber be out slightly by lowering it again?

gggrrrr- Had my VR in Stealth yesterday for a full suspension rebush etc. The overall rear alignment was 0.2 out (similar to tekara's readout in the first post). Its never scrubbed rear tyres or anything but I want it to be right so its going back in to have the stub axle shimmed. I'll let you guys know how much it actually ends up costing (luckily I still have one kidney left after yesterdays bill- anyone interested :-P )