Sign in to follow this  
veeDuB_Rado

MR2 Engines

well after 2 weeks of my valver running crap and slow for some reason when i started it up today, there was a HELL of a difference.the damn thing was like a rocket ,no joke,i couldnt believe how well it was pulling!

so i go off upto monmouth to see if there is anyone to play with, well nobody to go with upto monmouth but in town i was playing with a leon which was reistant to going on the DC for a quick drag.= me unhappy:(

so on the way back doing bout 80 i noticed something was coming in quickly in the right hand lane,with flip up lights.thought it was either an rx7(which id stilll have gone for lol) ir an mr2.so i put my foot down and my car flys to 120 in no time after some playing around i noticed that i was doing over 130! :| so we both slowed down and when we were getting back to ross when we were side by side went round the roundabout i shoved into second both of us went for it ,was catching him,went to shift to 3rd and guess what...****chrunch**** what a dingo i am lol

so i just wanted to know what engines were in mr2s

oh and i do regret doing this as my back bushes and ball joints are bad, i need a slap...

btw this is the first time i have EVER raced

OK well the lower end started with a 2.0 120Bhp and a 2.2 135Bhp then the mid-range GT 2.0 160Bhp and then the various turbo models rising from around 200Bhp to 240Bhp.

Take your pick mate :)

the later (not the boxy one)mr2 has the same 2.0 engine as the celica which is 176bhp

and some also have lower rated versions of that engine IIRC..and of course there's a "entry"-level version thats meant to be Pi$$ poor performance

yea like i said my rado was running like a rocket somehow(gone turd again now lol) mustve been the chilly weather cos that always seems to help...nonetheless i was impressed with myself :D

theres a guy at work with a mr2 turbo, I keep trying to leave at the same time as him and try to have a bit of a play, but i've never managed it yet :( I dont think its modded, and its an early turbo so i think would fall into the 'around' 200bhp category, not sure how heavy they are but i reckon it'd be a fairly close race.

I've had a fracas with a MR2 Turbo (not sure which variant) and I beat him by a small margin, they weigh slightly less than the VR IIRC and the torque is quite impressive as a lot of Jap cars have pitiful torque.

My car isn't standard though but I would have thought a stock VR would keep up with a MR2 Turbo at a push.

i had a mk3 supra - great fun, till i blew it up at 150mph :(

the airduct you refer to is an aftermarket TOMS peice, its not standard on the turbos

the only real difference is some turbos had higher rear spoilers and they have twin entry turbo written on the rub strip just in front of the back wheel

yea like i said my rado was running like a rocket somehow(gone turd again now lol) mustve been the chilly weather cos that always seems to help...nonetheless i was impressed with myself :D

if your getting a real performance difference on a small engined NA car in hot and cool conditions i would suggest the base value of your Ignition timing may be set a little too advanced :wink:

logicaltuning, and the usual is as with most imports , the rear square number plate

not a good pic but you get the idea :wink:

The Tubbys have raised engine vents whereas the N/As have flat ones.

The Mk2 Rev1/2 has 220Bhp standard and Rev3/4/5 have 245Bhp. US spec turbos have 200bhp.

They are very easily modified to give between 260-300 bhp with chips/downpipes.induction/more boost etc... Most owners will have done these mods as well...

The 3SGTE engine is really decent and gives a heap of torque to match the power. A standard Rev2 will quite easily outrun a standard VR be it 0-60 / 0-100 or 100+ They give a stock quarter mile of 13.x and 0-60 is nearer 5 than 6 and they don't tail off like Scoobys - they go on to a good 155+

I used to have one till not so long ago and really loved it for the handling - just not so sure on the looks of them. Totally reliable though and great fun - mine should have been good for 265-285bhp which was actually extremely usable as it had the rare options of LSD and TRC.

So...moral of the story - if you were in a valver and it didn't get away very rapidly - it wasn't a tubby :)

Have to agree, I do think a VR may keep with a rev 1/2 turbo tho, as aren't there perforamance figures quoted as running on 100 ron? being a Jap import. But rev 3/4/5, it's see ya!

I'm still quite tempted to get a rev 3 Turbo myself, bit boy racerish for my liking tho.

I pulled up in Clacket lanes services the other week, on a saturday lunch time, and there were two right behind me, they were heavily modded, super dragger exhaust or whatever it's called, really loud with atmospheric dump valves. LOL

The imports have some random writing on the rear window which is hilarious unintentionaly homosexual pig-English from what I can remember...

Edit: Doh, read page 2 - yeah the thing vr6storm is on about :lol:

The engines are torquey - that's the thing about them, it's not just BHP. They are also incredibly responsive to drive and spin up really quick.

As for the 100ron thing - you can only run them on Optimax/Ultimate but I gues most people are the same here - especially with tuned G60s. The quoted power figures are also known to be very conservative for once and as said - a few breathing mods will see them begin to rise significantly.

As people say - it's the image problem that lets them down. You won't get anything else as capable for the money though in terms of a proper sports car.

The weird 'engrish' has ""Man in Dandism New Rich and Sports" on the mats and then the rear window is like this: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery ... ct0064.jpg

This is only on very few of the imports though and obviously the first thing to come off :D

Crazy Japs :)