Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

Looking at buying a corrado...

I'm going to look at a 'G' plate 1.8 16v tomorrow morning, and i just wondered if theres anything major i should be looking for? I'm not mechanically minded but I'm takeing my Dad who is, so he should spot anything obvious. Is there anything i should be getting him to look at in particular?

The car itself has only done 79000 miles which is amazingly low for a 13 year old car! I've heard that if the little on-board computer is playing up it probably means its been clocked.

The major worry for me is that this car will have to last me a couple of years at least, and i dont want it to explode on me!

Any advice would be very much apreciated!

A troublesome MFA is often a sign of a clocked car so check it thoroughly.. the Corrado engines are very sturdy and should be able to munch over well 200,000 miles or more if properly looked after.

Tell tale signs of a high mileage car would be heavy wear to the drivers seat bolsters, and very worn rubbers on the pedals.. if its only done 79,000 miles they shouldn't be too bad.

Hopefully there will be some past MOT's and a full service history to back up the car.. if its missing those then i'd steer well clear regardless of how much of a good deal it might seem.

If your dad is mechanically minded then he should be able to spot some of the biggest problems.. things like headgasket, clutch, etc.

The problem with the Corrado is that it always seems to be 'little things' which are invariably expensive things.. just check it over, and hope it has a good comprehensive history. If there is no history, walk away.. whilst the Corrado isn't some insane performance car, it DOES need looking after properly. If neglected it will break in a big way.

The history is a must, you want pleanty of service bills and MOTs. With Carrados the body work is expensive due to high costs of pannels so check wings and wheel archs. The front pannel (mat black) that holds the rad in place is prone to corrosion and expensive. Check for accident damage, and all electrics working.

Have a few quid held back for repairs, get an Insurance quote first, and haggle.

Any dout walk away, there will be others. Good look.

The front pannel (mat black) that holds the rad in place is prone to corrosion and expensive.

Humm, the front panel shouldn't be Matt Black on a Corrado... Only on Golf MKII... :?

Make sure that all of the electrics work properly, and generally use your head and don't just fall in love with it as you first see it and buy it on impulse... (That's always been my big downfall! :roll: )

Good luck... At least you are asking in the correct kind of place... HERE! :lol:

Sorry might be getting confused, the pannel at the bottom of the Rad, can see it from underneath car, behind front bumper.

Sorry might be getting confused, the pannel at the bottom of the Rad, can see it from underneath car, behind front bumper.

Ah, fairy-nuff... 8) I've not yet dug down that far into my C to see what colour that bit is yet, although I'm sure it's not Aqua Blue from working under the car... :D

well, went to see it. Mechanically it looks sounds as a pound, very well serviced and looked after. Steering felt a bit heavy, but i suppose the PAS isnt going to be up to modern standards!! and it went like stink with 3 people in it! very impressed. I'm looking at keeping it for a couple of years at least and with that in mind it needs a new front right wing and it really needs respraying because it's going slightly pink in places, which isnt good! the guys asking £1800 for it, so I'm getting prices for painting it and a wing and i'll try and beat him down...

yeah, its not just that, some of the panels are a slightly different shade of red, so for the sake of a few hundred to get it looking spot on i'd rather get it sprayed!

yeah, its not just that, some of the panels are a slightly different shade of red, so for the sake of a few hundred to get it looking spot on i'd rather get it sprayed!

My First C was a H plate 16V in Tornado Red, so it'll be the same colour (s!) as the one you're looking at.... :?

You may find that the panels ARE original, just that the car's always been parked in the sun so that some panels have faded faster than others... A good polish, wax and a bit of elbow-grease will almost certainly bring most, if not all, of the panels back to something like the correct colour... 8)

I'm off to get my G reg 1.8 16v later today, checked already, heavier accelerator pedal than my 8v 1.8 GTI Golf but other than that it has a couple of tiny dents and I do mean tiny dents in the passenger wing and drivers side but as they are so small I haven't worried about it but my dad came too and has locked for big bumps and crash damage, he didn't notice anything and the clutch pedal height looks good, weird gear stick position and feel but that is because I'm used to a long shaft, oh err mrs, lol.

Having a garage take a look ASAP when I get it home and hopefully they will give it the all clear for the Pack A head, Supersprint 4-1 Manifold and system, or any other option that anyone might have.

Instead of polishing it up, take it to a body shop and get them to G3 it and mop polish. I saw red Alfa get done whislt my C was at the body shop and it looked like new. If you think how much paint is applied, your simply taking down a coat to bring it back to life. It will probably cost you £50 to get it done properly.

Then keep it protected by regular cleaning and polised every few months as its not good to over polish cars!

well i bought it! i pick it up at the weekend all being well, bargin at £1750! I'm going to take it around a few bodyshops and painters to see what they recon to what needs doing, I still think its going to need painting in some way as i'm looking at keep the car for about 3 years, so i want it as close to mint as possible. I'm going to get it fully valeted and i'm going to look into getting the alloys refurbished.

Nice one :) Welcome to the wonderful (if occasionally frustrating) world of Corrado ownership.

Remeber to get some photies up into the members gallery asap :D