Sign in to follow this  
morpheus20170

Heavy accelerator pedal???

I have just bought myself a G reg 1.8 16v Corrado and after having a Mk1 Golf GTI 8 the accelerator pedal feels heavy, with my Golf I only needed to touch the accelerator and it would go but when I test drove the corrado it needed more pressure, is this the same with all Corrados or is something wrong?

Please email me asap.

Cheers,

Paul

check the cable routing under the bonnet. i moved mine out of place when fitting my samco coolant pipes, went stiff, the result was the rubber gromit in the pedel streching and the cable popping out !! DOH

i think there some ajustment at the throttle body,on the top of the engine as well?

i moved mine out of place when fitting my samco coolant pipes, went stiff, the result was the rubber gromit in the pedel streching and the cable popping out !! DOH

Dude, you need to get out more... getting stiff over fitting Samco's and popping/stretching stuff... :shock:

Thanks guys and girls.

I'll have it looked at asap, I was told by someone that the difference could be that I'm used to my Golf which is 8v and this being 16v means it is harder to get going at first but when you have it going it will go better and quicker for longer :0) Is this crap?

As for replacing it, I've only just got it, lol.

When I first got my C 16v I was surprised at how heavy the accelerator pedal was. I just lived with it and got used to it in no time.

I then got my vr6 which needed a new cable and realised what a heavy pedal was, once it was changed I realised the 16v was perfect, its just the way they are.

If your accelerator isnt sticking or anything I would say just leave it as you will get used to it.

The golf acclerator pedals are much softer. The car is much lighter and takes less effort to get them off the mark.

The Corrado pedals are not heavy as such, I would just say they feel more refined as the car is.

I changed my throttle cable and the difference it mate, not only to feel. i.e smoothness but the power was coming in a lot earlier as there cable was new and unstreached. They only cost £20 odd quid from VW, so I would recommend changing it. All these features are important, the pedal, the steering wheel as these are the only bits you get to see and feel. Well thats what im like anyway. 3 of my ,mates with C's changed their cable and they were well happy with the difference.

if the cable sticks and doesn't make contact with the idle switch or WOT switch then replace it. a old cable loses its lubricant and starts to stcik when it has stretched. look at the cable on throttle body for stretch.

morpheus20170, Mate, its only like I said, £20 /28 quid from VW. If you are a member of the CCGB you get 10 % off the dealers. Its not much, but it helps.

I would change it!!! Trust me. If you feel it hasnt done anything, take it back.

Just think, when do you think it was last changed?

How often is it working, on a drive, it never stops. Think of all the race starts, flooring at 4000 rpm. It will wear and streach and every time you press the pedal it can delay how quickly it can open the throttle and give you poor performance.

When I did mine, I could rev the engine and it would roar much quicker as it was opening the throttle that bit faster. You are not going to feel like the car has NOS, but you will feel the difference.

Its up to you mate. Even at worse case seniro, your pedal will feel smoother as its new, unless your canble hasnt been recently changed.

Do it and then e mail me!

I did mine on my old 16V (although not done it on VR6) and it makes a hell of a difference! - do it! - is a ten min job to fit!

dont bother with the garage... they'll charge more than its worth for labour. its an easy job and a cheap part.

Heavy accelerator pedal???

heh heh. i've replaced the cable in my corrado last year. if anything... it made the accelerator pedal even heavier!! ..if ya know what i mean :lol: ..or maybe my foot weighs more.

Yeah G60N is right, just un hoolk the cable from behine the pedal and take off anything in the way on your engine side, i.e. any clips, engine casing if any.....

then pull the cable through the bulkhead carefully and feed the new cable in and attach to the pedal and connect it to where you took that part off and you will find a clip, that hold the idel in place and pulls or slackens the cable.

Its so easy, its a 15 minutes job if not rushed and make sure your ideal is where it was and that the pedal feels ok. Basically when you are on full throttle you dont want to be streaching the cable so take the clip off and slide it on the next couple of slats back so its a bit slacker. Obviously do that bit with the engine off.

If you get stuck just whack an e mail on here and someone will help you out for sure mate and let us know if it made a difference then you can buy me a pint! Joke LOL.

get a friend (or a brick) to floor it with the engine off, and adjust the cable from the engine side so flooring the pedal makes the cable pull so far as to just barely hit the full throttle switch. then make sure that your idle switch still engages.. it will be a little *click*.. if it doesn't, loosen the adjustment off a notch until the idle switch clicks.