Sign in to follow this  
bix

Power run :)

It's all relative Pox man :-)

You can't sniff at 210 bhp and 190 odd pounds of the twisty stuff.... the VR just delivers it an a more relaxed, cruisey manner.

You should try a G60 some day, fun cars and pretty rapid!

Henny's is serious......very quick and his toothed belts sound other worldly!

Toothed belt conversion will elimate any belt slipping we quite often see quite nice gains right across the rev range even where you didnt think the belts were previouslly slipping. Go have a look around where the plastic cover is on the charger,If there is lots of rubbery dust around there you are suffering from some quite serious belt slipping which could very well be the 5.5k dip.

When I RR'd mine at Surrey Rolling Road they hooked up a boost feed by popping off my boost gauge line and that was very telling of belt slippage! The boost climbed nice and linear, then plateaued and as the belt gripped again; shot back up. A new belt sorted it no probs. It makes a noticable difference on the road as it pulls cleanly from nothing to the redline now. The flat spot could be mixture related as my a/f plot was all over the place. When the lambda probe was popped out it was completely fubar'd and even the wiring was shot. Since that has all been replaced it felt loads better, best thing I've ever had done to the car! Great power figs though, that's about as high as it'll go without other significant work. :)

Henny's is serious

You missed off the "ly unreliable"... ;) :roll: :oops: :lol:

very quick and his toothed belts sound other worldly!

Yeah, the toothed belt makes one hell of a difference, both to the power delivery and to the sound of her... annoyingly she's just bedded in fully now and is the quickest shes ever felt just before I've got to do the flipping head gasket again... :roll: :lol:

I'll tell you this though, 3rd gear wheelspin between 60 and 70 on the motorway is fecking scarey! :| :lol:

damp through to wet, although I think the garage may have put too much pressure in my front tyres which I need to check at some point... :oops: :lol:

Oh it's all coming out now! :lol: I was thinking that spinning in 3rd in the dry probably requires rather a lot of power, even for FWD. :)

oh, don't get me wrong, I can get 3rd gear wheelspin in the dry if I try, but at the moment it'll do it if I'm not careful in the wet without trying... :| :oops:

I can break traction in 3rd in the wet, esp when I change gear aggressively. It's not an entirely pleasant car to drive in the wet to be honest, there's a lot of torque on offer and the front wheels get overwhelmed quite easily. I'd like to get the car to spin in third in the dry though! :twisted:

I would be pretty narked if I'd spent a fortune on a decent chassis setup, tyres and a quaife only to get wheel spin in 3rd. It's wasted power and just points at a lack of grip, not necessarily a monster amount of power.

I can get a 1.4 Clio to spin it's wheels in 3rd in the wet, it's a pointless reference.

I've not spent anything on this chassis yet though... that's on the list of things I'm saving up for... :oops: ;) :lol:

Neil, precisely ;-)

Henny, surpised at you mate with the quaife and all, tut tut.... or are we talking about the grey one?

My VR used to chirp the tyres in 3rd when it was standard but ever since using decent rubber and the Konis and what not, 3rd never loses traction anymore 8)

The grey one has the quiafe in there with the modded g/box and engine, but I've done sod all to the suspension or bushes (except for the front subframe bushes) as I've not had time. I've a full new rack with poly bushes, rear subframe (seam welded), wishbones, trackrods and ends, ball joints etc etc etc sat on my dining room floor waiting for me to save up for the new suspension set up, topmounts and anti-roll bars... THEN it should handle properly and I'll be upset if I can spin third... ;)

Henny You've put your name done to the W Mids RR day haven't you. I'm looking forward to this one and should be an interesting comparison between ou 2 cars as my engine is now at Race Power being done as we type!