Sign in to follow this  
Claret Badger

CLOCKING THE CORRADO

How easy is it to do this?

Obviously on the older analogue clocks - fairly easy and with a screwdriver and a bit of patience.

But the later cars - the ones with digi clocks - is this possible? Is this easy?

REASON WHY I ASK - *not dodgy*

I bought my C recently - and it had a lowish sub 100k mileage.

And the dash has been obviously "tampered" with - damaged plastic over the "clocks" - dodgy gap alignment around the bezel.

excuse from vendor "I have recently changed the heater matrix"

so that's a fair reason. . . . .

Isn't it?

I have heard that these clocks can be tampered with - BUT how easy?

Am I just being paranoid?

any info welcome?

i dont think its 'that' easy TBH mate, I'll need to get mine done when i get around to fitting VR clocks rather than the 2.0 16v ones I've currently got (dont ask!). Guy (chargedupstorm) does it professionally, and i dont think its too cheap.

I've heard that the Corrado clocks (analog or digital) are very easy to tamper with, but side effects of it are often slightly faulty MFA's..

What sort of history have you got for the car to back it up? Have you HPI'd it?

Good question, I've always wondered how you clock a digital odometer.

I clocked my MK1 GTI once....but I wound it forward as I'd taken the clocks out the 16V MK2 donor car, so had to add 120,000 to them to match the MK1s true age. How many people would do that???? I'm far too honest :-)

it was HPI'd by the guy I got it from *groan*

no history

so you might be laughing already

but the car is solid - and the leather is only a wee bit worn - no death cracks/tears etc - and the bolster on the OS is very good - steering wheel a little shiny - but it is approaching 95k

Hmmm - you can get it done "professionally" well that's a worry

engine has been rebuilt - so I'm happy with her

it's just it's the clocks you stare at everyday . . . . .

quickest way of clocking a Corrado is to simply change the clocks for a set with lower milage on 'em... Obviously that's getting harder to do as they get rarer, but you get the idea... ;)

They're just a simple chip on the back of the clocks which you can re-write with some simple equipment and a laptop. There is some skill in doing it without messing up the MFA and some of the other settings, but there's plenty of people out there (and a few on this very forum) who can do it. Mostly it's just ensuring that you don't put too much voltage in to the chip and make sure you're operating with properly isolated with no static electricity risks... I'm going to get the clocks on J-DUB put right (someone's conveniently swapped the clocks for a set with around 130K miles less than the car's done) when I do the new engine conversion on her and have had a chat with a couple of people who can do it (properly) for me for under £60...

this is all good stuff

thanks for the info

in regards to my prvious comment about leather "wear" - how shiny should the steering wheel be? upto 100k?

How's everyone elses STD wheel/helm/tiller looking?

My car has mats - so the carpet check is out of the question

just done a bit more reading on this, apparently it can be done via the back of the clocks (serial port) by directly accessing the chip inside the clocks or via the diagnositc port. the first 2 are apparently detectable (although i'm not sure how) but doing it via the diagnositc port is virtually undetectible.

once you have access to the chip you need to know where the milage is stored in memory and have some software to access/change the value held.

- edit -

beaten to it by henny ;)

Seen them done in about 30 seconds on a toyota.

in the old ford days,all that happened was a an electric drill onto the gearbox speedo cable and no dash out etc.

thats the first time this dash has been out of me car all for a daft LED with thanks to Chrishill its on its way to being Cured

FORUM POWER :-D

Edit it was a Bulb EEK

Claret Badger, it's difficult to say what the wear should be, mate.

Hell, I bought a 90K G60 and found out that it'd been clocked by over 130K! Inside and out looked right for a 90K car, no bolster wear, slightly shiney leather wheel/gear knob and the odd stone chip on the paint...

The problem is that Corrados can stand upto high motorway milages without showing it too badly... :| Kind of a mixed blessing I'd say... :roll: :lol:

all cars are easy to clock, the easy way to stop the milage running up is disconnect the speedo!! digital ones can be "corrected" easy as pie

G60Jet, disconnecting the speedo doesn't work on some newer cars, that simply stops the car running properly as the ECU detects it as a fault condition and makes the car go into fail-safe mode putting the warning lamp on the dash too!

They're getting clever to try and combat this now... 8)

iirc its £40 to get a mileage altered , a friend has a mk4 golf and has recently had it done and his 328 bmw

the guy who did said it isnt illegal for him to do it or for the owner to have it done but its illegal to sell it without parting with this knowledge ;-)

this was done in warrington with a laptop and took 10 mins

On all the Corrado digital clocks I've played with, it's a matter of removing the pod, getting to the PCB and reading / writing to the EEPROM.

I haven't been able to do one via the cluster plug as yet.

If you want a correction just give me a PM.