Sign in to follow this  
fla

new switches possible for the dash?

I've been thinking about doing a dash swop in my C for a while. After looking at different options, i still think the overall shape of teh dash is prob best for the C. BUT, and its a big but, it needs some serious updating, which theoretically shouldnt cost the earth. Basic changes (like I've done) is changing the clocks (using Andi dials - cheers bud, got a stone colour plus black ones too :wink: ) and changing the bulbs - blue/red whatever you fancy. A couple of other things include redoing the leds at the bottom indicating oil pressure etc as per the CC of Canada. Apart from that teh thing that lets it down big time are the dash switches (lights, fogs, aircon etc). Does anyone know of any good alternatives for ALL the switches (maybe even the leccy windows if poss)? And can they be fitted with just basic mods (would have thought so)?

I'd be interested in comments - oh and mines a 94 VR for the record.

Cheers

I am sure that you are familiar with them, but I have worked with a few Dub Design Industry parts to give it a bit of an updated look. New Dials, Silver rings and I have converted all of the buttons to Red instead of Green. Gives it a much better and very updated look, yet retaining the oldschool qualities. I have also added some Momo components such as gear knob and steering wheel which has improved the over all look of the dash and the interior in general.

This is the Dub Design Industries Interior

13.jpg

I think that overall changing the Guage Faces, Adding the silver rings and changing the colour of the dash panels to Red made a huge difference.

Tornado, are those chrome sliders on the vents? Sure it does look updated compared with standard but the shape and design of the switches still let it down, not to detract from how your cabin looks. My thoughts were towards using, say, Mk 4 switches or some from a Beamer or Lexus or something (just an arbitrary list of cars)

Looks good!

Don't forget MK3 chromed interior door pulls are a direct fit (IIRC?) onto the C and really make a huge difference to the way the cabin looks.

Did you want to actually replace the switches completely with totally different ones Fla? Pick up an RS or Farnell catalogue as they have numerous switches, including back lit brushed alloy ones etc....

The issue there is wiring them up to the standard plugs and making them fit in the dash neatly....might need a bit of cut and shut work, but it'll look good.

Hey Guys

I never noticed those sliders, wonder if it's just the light...??? :?:

Sorry guys, but the car pictured is not mine. It is Anh's from DubDesignIndustries.com (Zarman on the boards). A lot of the stuff you see in the pic that is not Momo (Steering wheel) or OEM (TT Shifter, TT Pedals) is stuff that he makes and sells on his website. Like the Rings around the guages, the upgraded guages themselves, The LED's used to change everything from green to red etc. His interior is the ispiration to upgrade mine.

My interior has the Red Buttons and knobs as pictured, the guages and guage rings, but I am using the Momo Sphere Gearknob (leather) and the Momo race steering wheel. It looks similar to his though. I'll post a pic of my cars interior later, it is still in the works. My CIG Lighter bezel is on it's way. :D Part #441 919 343 from an Audi dealership if your interested.

My intention with the picture was to show that it actually takes very little to upgrade the overall look of the dash to something that looks a little more modern. I do agree that certain things look oldschool like the buttons etc, but I think it adds to the charisma of the car. Makes it different from all that is coming out these days, especially since some of the manufacturers seem to be going back to some Retro styling. In a way we are ahead of the game :D.

MKIV buttons would be pretty cool though I have to admit. But I think it would be some work to make them fit and adjust the wiring.

Yep Kev, that's what I had in mind. Will havea little look and see what's available. didnt know about the Mk3 handles tho, that's a good idea. Any pics of an installed set?