Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

proper charger at last

some of you may remember i had some strange noises coming from my jabba rebuilt charger with less than 10k on it

well in the end i had darren at g werks fit a rebuild kit that i already had from KK ..tonight i finished running it in and gave it some beans..i didnt really expect it to go any better as the jabba made 16psi at redline

boy was i wrong...it makes ALOT more boost alot sooner and lower revs..makes for a much punchier drive and more fun..although it tops out at around 15-16psi redline...it drives much better

so im guessing the oe quality apex strips help make that boost sooner..the car will be more fun to drive now

so thanks to darren at g werks :D for sorting my charger(reasonble price too)....and to jabba :p thanks for raping me :p on the cheap and nasty parts

another happy customer, and another dent to jabbapoo

one of my friends just bought a G60 last month, the charger was over haulled by jabba 18 months ago then was rebuild again but to Stage4 only 6 months ago, i was just changing a pipe for him today and noticed its already leaking oil down the exhaust side, qualtiy service ahy

ive had the car 5-6 years, i had the charger done at jabba the day i brought it , and again trough the years....its never drove like this

i think they used poor quality strips...i opened the charger myself and found the strips were short by maybe 2" in total

Yay another happy G werks customer. I watched Darren and Beavis from Piststop working on Supercharged's car and what they don't know about the G60 isn't worth knowing. Very clued up blokes, so I'm not surprised their charger build is better than Shabbas.

Don't understand it really as Mike Truluck was the G lader god in the 90s (he then set up Jabba IIRC), so all I can think is it's not him that's building them, but they've not exactly had a good rep for G lader builds in recent years.

16 psi....sounds good!

Thats shocking mate - have been on to them about this ??

no i cant be bothered really, pitty someone doesnt take legal action against em though

im just happy to pass on my experiance so that others can learn rom it and go elsewhere..and whats gona happen in a few years whn some of us start to buy 20v or whatver?? i wont be using jabba again thats for sure

mike doesnt build them...his brother in law does :? and i think its cheap parts more than the work itself

Yes Darren definately seems to be the man - taking mine down next week, maybe i should have the charger re-built aswell :roll:

Just a shame that i never heard of him before i took it to Shabba.

Think i'll be bringing a G-Lader home in my suitcase at Easter !!

i think darren will open and inspect a charger for very cheap....im sure he knows whats skimped on their services

maybe worth a thought for peace of mind

Might well take you up on that Gavin, cheers !! Good excuse for a drive round the Great Ocean Road aswell. Only 3 weeks left for me now !!

can you just open one up, jabba told me that if you open one up it need all new seals then, or was that just to stop me opening it up to find the truth

Are there any components in the Lader that you can look at and see instantly that they're fecked, apart from the obvious things? I'm just wondering if some customers have panicked and taken their chargers to Shabba and got them rebuilt, perhaps unnecessarily? Steve's (Supercharged's) was pulling very strongly at 90 odd K, with graphs to prove and I think he only G werks'd it as a precaution more than anything else. I just don't think they're as weak as legend would suggest.

yeah its about 6 bolts hold em togehter...nothing too techy about em, i was going to rebuild it myself , but i realised i didnt have the tools to get the bearings in/out ...so it went to g werks

Some of the biggest problems are;

1. The small drive belt... not an issue when upgraded to wider belt.

2. Oil feed pipe from head to charger... these fail on the older cars causing oil starvation to the bearings.

3. Non oil fed bearings in top shaft seize.

Are there any components in the Lader that you can look at and see instantly that they're fecked, apart from the obvious things? I'm just wondering if some customers have panicked and taken their chargers to Shabba and got them rebuilt, perhaps unnecessarily? Steve's (Supercharged's) was pulling very strongly at 90 odd K, with graphs to prove and I think he only G werks'd it as a precaution more than anything else. I just don't think they're as weak as legend would suggest.

i think its mainly the apex strips wear with age, and oil seals leak...most of the bearing are fed oil from the engine , the other 2 are prob worth doing as a precaution and higher spec ones are avail now

Ah OK, cheers. The G60 is pretty much the only VW engine I don't know anything about (that and the Veyron's monster lump!). I have worked on them blindly though and swore at them more than I have any other engine, LOL!. Need to add another string to my bow and swot up, I find it a very intriguing engine and I just love that deep throated rumble they make....

16 psi though, can't get over that... never thought they could make that, no offense. What's the max they go to? Just thinking my Vortech's 8psi looks a bit puny next to 16!

they go a bit higher than 16....mine has a 68mm pulley, alot of guys run 65 and you hear of smaller than that!

i noticed tonight ,min was hitting 12 as soon as i stepped on the gas, pretty good tbh

That's very good, mine doesn't make 8 until 7000rpm....but, if I wanted to, I can run it at 25psi....at my own risk!

Back in the day (mid 90s), there was a nice MK2 G60 in PVW or The Golf running around 240bhp with a 63mm pulley and the Lader didn't seem fussed by it.

i think having too much boost without being able to get it through the engine is a waste....the head kinda makes a bottle neck after a certain point, i hear the beetle crossflow heads flow better

didnt realise vr's revved to 7k, charged vr's sound nice though huh

Yeah I've heard good reports of the crossflow head, doesn't seem to be a popular mod over here though for some reason.

The rev limit on the VR is raised to 7K on the chip with the charger kit, but that's only an increase of 200rpm where the Corrado is concerned. Golf VRs are limited to 6,500rpm. The Corrado VR was marketed as the fastest VW ever (at the time) so they made sure it could do 145+ and was quicker through the gears than the Golf VR by giving it a higher rpm limit.....probably why they wore out faster than the 2.8s as well!

The VR sounds OK, not overly excited by it personally, I think BMW's six sounds a lot sweeter imo!

Yes, have to admit, I too was and still am very happy with Darren's work on mine. Back in October last year I started noticing some rather worrying oil leaks past the sieve that I have fitted as a precaution in the boost pipe leading oto the intercooler. End of November I took my Rado down to Darren, who, poor sod, had to spend 2 hours to undo 2 b*stard Allen bolts that immediately rounded off, to get the charger out, before he could even begin his work. Still only charged me his usual fee for removal, glad I didn't do that one mysefl (as I was toying with the idea, but I also liked to look the boys over their shoulders, which you're not allowed in many places :-) ).

Darren identified the cause for the oil leak in my Jabbasport rebuilt G-Lader: Oil seals on the main shaft had been pressed in too far :-( Caught just in time, before something more serious would have happened. He the also replaced the oil feed line, and all was well again, for me it was also a very informative day, despite having prepared and read up on the subkect in advance, nothing beats actually seeing it.

found the strips were short by maybe 2" in total

That sounds like so-called piston seal strips or "Meterware", as it's commonly called in German, where you cut off the required length of apex strip off the roll. Needless to say, that this stuff is not the real McCoy, but some cheap nasty stuff that shrinks with heat and time. The original apex strips (either in black - harder wearing, or beige - softer but faster wearing but easier on the actual Lader walls) are precut to length, are of a special material composition that resists heat-induced shrinkage etc.

Tempest

Another vote for G-Werks here, sent my Jabba re-built charger to them after it started making some awful noises, I had a look inside and the Apex strips were again far too short and it was leaking oil badly..

keith did yours have some vag oil seals in it...cant help thinking they wouldnt have sourced genuine stuff, if there was cheapies to be had

i dont think ive read a thread in this forum about a g-lader having problems after years of no service.

between me and my friends we have 4 g-laders that have no record of rebuilds within the last 40k miles and they all boost properly and are giving no cause for concern....

Every post i read about foofed laders are about laders that have been serviced recently....just an observation. :?

When i bought my car i was gonna have the lader serviced just for 'peace of mind' ....ive been put off slightly now.. :(