Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Golf R32, or Corrado r32......

Where's Guy, he's got both, he should be able to offer his opinions on this one with the benefit of hindsight.

Time to throw my spanner in I guess.

The Corrado (modified or not) and the R32 are completely different cars with different driving experiences. IMHO the C is far more fun to drive, more involved and has far more feeling. The R32 is a true cruiser and is very comfortable, has all the mod cons. However the R32 isn’t exactly suited as a daily driver especially in town traffic with it’s fluffy fly by wire throttle responses.

I used to hate the MKIV chassis that was until I saw the R32 in deep blue pearl at the motor show in October 2002. – Placed an order there and then!

Earlier in the year I was actually really fed up with the R32, and bought an S3 to see if that was a suitable replacement. - Here’s a list of some of the problems I’ve had so far since ownership:

1/ A Serious amount of rattles, esp. coming from drivers door mechanism.

2/ Stitching came apart on steering wheel.

3/ Air Flow meter died (could have been down to a short use of K&N 57i)

4/ Wiring and electrical faults, traced to a spot weld in the rear of the car that had chaffed wires through the loom.

5/ Leaking fuel tank / seal popped on inspection hatch under rear seats.

6/ Changed side light bulbs over 6 times, some issue with the Xenons for some reason but it’s a common fault. The annoying thing is on the drivers side you have to drop the bumper to change the fecking bulb!

7/ The most serious – Coil pack failure that actually caused an engine fire!

8/ Drivers Side window regulator – cable snapped!

9/ The Sump is terribly low and I’ve already cracked one… ok that may have been down to my ‘taking off’ over a hump back bridge. ;-) but it’s constantly getting ‘scratched’!

10/ Other annoyances…Recling the front seats they hit the headlining or sun visor unless they are moved to the lowest position first. Did I mention the rattles… MKIV standard interior trim and the like is ok on 1.4 or MATCH golf but when you are on R32 suspension it’s a joke.

I enjoyed owning the S3 for a couple of months, but it wasn’t a Corrado or a R32, I decided the R32 was more fun to drive, more comfortable and you can’t beat a 6 cylinder engine after all. I had too much invested in the R32 to sell on, (plate, mods, tracker etc..) So I’ve decided to keep it and drive/mod it further and have even more fun.

Having said and listed all those faults, there are days when I thoroughly enjoy driving the R32, but if I had to pick in honesty it would have to be the Corrado. Right at the moment I can still see myself owning both cars in the next 5 years, the C for life but probably not the R32.

I think the R32 / MKIV is more understated (unless you have the Miltek pipes that is!) and I get less attention in the golf than the C. Really though… for me when I park the Corrado somewhere that’s not it’s lair I always worry about it. The R32 I’m not so bothered about, it’s insured and it’s not a love affair like the C(yet!)

Well the long and short of it IMHO is to keep both cars if you can afford the space / insurance etc, if you can’t and it has to be one save some cash buy a banger and keep the Corrado!

if you can’t and it has to be one save some cash by a banger and keep the Corrado!

despite the horrocks going to lengths to say he doesn't want a runabout, it seems myself and the hartley can reach no other conclusion than the one you don't want paul - I know you said you don't want one and i'm sure guy's read your post as well, but there you go......sorry theres no other proposal for ya....

Trouble is, Guys runabouts are f&*king r32's and s3's - :roll: Lifes just not fair :?

I've actually got an old K plate 1.0 MKIII polo as my banger (mainly for the Mrs to learn to drive in but as she's failed again looks like it's mine!)

It's cheap to run, and better on the fuel.... question is can you put up with being looked at like you're a cnut driving about in it.

Makes sense with the recent petrol price rises anyway, shame the power steering is lacking - nothing that 40psi tyres don't sort though LOL!

Says he with a supercharged 3.x litre Corrado VR6! :)

thats the toy, not the runabout!!!!!!

My point being - as i'm sure it wasn't missed by you, Jim, is that guys "rounabouts/bangers/daily drives" are r32's and s3's, git that he is :)

My daily car has to be parked on the drive every night..............I wouldn't want to leave a shiny corrado out there all the time. and anonymous looking mk4 though? (damn it, I can't leave the LM's on it, they're just too good for it). and I have to be able to go to ASDA in it, park it up with all the mongies and fill it with a trolley full of shopping, the Corrado can't do that either. Hell, I can't even get it to work without it catching the front spoiler everytime so how CAN I use it daily!!! I wish I could still get the bus to work like my old job, I wouldn't need a sensible car then :-(

I might sell them all and buy a TT actually. Stick the 1.8T in the corrado, sell it, stick the 2.8 in the mk5, sell that, stick the 3.2 in the TT, keep that.

I'm still not convinced the Corrado makes a realistic daily car you know, I can't see me wanting to keep the Corrado, I really have no love for it at all at the moment, I keep forgetting I've got it until I open the garage door up!

But, I do miss it's potency and handling, I found an old timing slip from the Pod for the Corrado. 14.37, and that was before I connected up the speedo signal (it was a hell of a lot quicker after I did!)

I'm still not convinced the Corrado makes a realistic daily car you know

you're damn right there, hard ride, poor fuel economy, spoiler catching, fear of damage when left parked, boot space, rear seat space... I could go on.

I can see where you're coming from paul, i get a bit tired of the downsides to modified car ownership from time to time too, longing for something smooth and comfortable and I guess like you've said, new!

the thing that keeps me going it the fact that when I'm not just plodding about in it, the VR still gives me a big grin and i know i'll probably never find a newer car thats as good to drive, has the same image and is as much fun.

I might sell them all and buy a TT actually....

I'm still not convinced the Corrado makes a realistic daily car you know

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *THUD!*

*Picks self off floor*

Paul? Have you ever been in a TT? No offence mate, but you just wouldn't suit a TT, and as for practical, have you ever looked inside the boot of one? I don't know what you buy at Asda, but I couldn't get my weekly shop even NEARLY into a TT's boot. I also think the TT is probably the worst car to get in and out of I've ever had the misfortune of trying out, the doorway is just too low and it's near on impossible to get in the back of one (although I have been a rear seat passenger in one a couple of times, but I'll not do it again...)

Keep the Corrado Man! I have been through no end of cars golfs early-late, bmw's, landrover? porsche,lotus its a running joke that my friends bet that i won't keep the next one for more than a couple of months. That was until i found the VR! I use mine as a daily. It gets 30 ish MPG on my commute, makes all the right noises when you push the loud pedal and it is practical. Its a hatchback with 4 seats.

When ever i have sold a car be it mk1 golf or elise i always regret it afterwards as i love my cars. However when i bought the corrado it was just right. All the things i had looked for in others cars in one car. Classic style, understated, practical (even had roof bars on mine) performance when you want and not a million bazzed up ones outside halfords on a friday night. They will become a true classic in a few more years and lets face it niggles aside they are still a lot of car for the money and i still love the looks from the average jo who i can tell think thats a damn fine looking car but what is it? Keep it, you know you wanna really or you would not have to ask this question :D

No - he built a Corrado R32 ages ago...

um...he still is.

Technically as you know he did build one ages ago, R32, Haldex and full leather oh and a supercharger bolted on, then he lost the plot and went totally mental with it, like it was not before considering the era it came from, and its still in a million pieces, hence he is still building it :lol:

i would give my left arm to be able to fli my car over in a garage and work on it.

life would be so much easier, not to mention warmer.

i would be interested to see if one day this car will show its face again.

:)

I remember picking up some wheels from Pauls and I was tripping over 24v vr's and R32 engines the length of his drive and garage....

made a braw cuppa coffee too but hes got no taste in wheels :hitler:

ahaha bet he wouldnt like that comment.

Least he makes a good cuppa hey... Saying that i want one (Tea though coffee is horrible stuff)

Mines got stuff in it and id imagine id pull it over or something, im fairly accident prone.

Im assuming that one of your experiences, fair play, its nuts.