Sign in to follow this  
jims corrado

crap brakes after upgrade!!!!!!

having just fitted vr calipers to my 16v corrado, i cant seem to get all the air out of the system. i have bled the brakes at least 3 times on each side and used about 4 litres of fresh fluid. all i keep getting is bubbles and MORE bubles. surely this cannot be right. i have one of those one man bleed kits (one way valve) and keep trying with this but with no success. i can still press the pedal all the way to the floor which doesnt inspire confidence at all.

jim (at his wits end!!)

Hi Jim have you bled the whole system in the right sequence as recomended by the bentley manual if you havent I suggest you do the whole system again to get rid of all those bubbles, first off pump the brake 20 times and then fit your one man kit on the front left calliper and undo the bleed screw and drain at least half a litre of fluid out of it just to make sure there aren't any bubbles, after that is done do up the bleed screw and move over to the nearside front and do the same as the first one you did after that is done move to the rear offside (drivers side) and drain the same out of that one as you did with the other two and do it up, and then last of all do the nearside calliper the same as the rest and the brake system will be completely flushed, if after all that you still have have a pedal that goes straight to the floor when you press it you obviously have a split hose or something it's probably worth looking at the hoses closely first clean them off to check for any signsof fluid around them. If that doesn't sort it then I'm out of ideas mate. Oh yeah almost forgot make sure you take the cap off the resevoir for the fluid and keep topping it up dont let it go below the min mark!!

I'd have to say that I'd be checking for leaks in the hose connections at every location that you worked on. and if that doesn't do it then I'd be inspecting the calipers for leaks. Rebuilding the front calipers is VERY easy.

having just fitted vr calipers to my 16v corrado, i cant seem to get all the air out of the system. i have bled the brakes at least 3 times on each side and used about 4 litres of fresh fluid. all i keep getting is bubbles and MORE bubles. surely this cannot be right. i have one of those one man bleed kits (one way valve) and keep trying with this but with no success. i can still press the pedal all the way to the floor which doesnt inspire confidence at all.

jim (at his wits end!!)

HI

One thing about those one-man kits is that.... they can be a right old pain in the ar*e!

What you really need is a 2nd person helper friend to pump the brake pedal for you.

Reason being is that its much better if you gently nip up the nipple when the pedal is all the way down to the floor (takes a lot of communication between yourself and your helper!!), then get them to gently raise the pedal to let the fluid replenish slowly in the maser cyl, then gently undo the nipple again as they start to push the pedal down again.... this stops air getting in past the threads of the bleed nipple - which can happen if you've un-done it that bit too much.

Of course, you need to make sure youre doing everything in the right order, and on a level flooring.... and so on...

Jules

ive always used the one man bleeding kit and found it very good,a lot easier and imo a lot better,you just make sure you clamp the hose tightly when removing the caliper so the air you need to bleed out is minimal

Can I disagree with the method you suggested :oops:

Ive always been taught from early age that you should start as far away from the master cylinder as possible......

Eg.

Rear N/s

Rear O/s

Front N/s

Front O/s

in that order.....

Even though I also use a one way man kit I still get a 2nd person as mentioned to pump the pedal... when clear fluid coming out I get them to press the pedal down and keep it down till I have nipped it up... then get the 2nd person to release the pedal slowly and will be fine.

Correct me if Im wrong!

Also I must mention for any of you guys doing brake pad changes with ABS systems to ALWAYS knock off the bleed nipple BEFORE winding / pushing back the caliper pistons!!!

Cheers,

Scott