Sign in to follow this  
keystarG60

Best runabout for about a grand?

Any thoughts?

Need summat thats ultra cheap to run. Dont care what it looks like as long as it gives me ace mpg, low insurance group etc.

Make and model suggestions please!!

To Supercharged: "Before you say it, no a TDI transplant is not the answer"" :)

I'd go for an old Astra TDI or a Pug 205 TDI... Cheap as chips, insurance group feck all, and reliable as anything... ;)

Any thoughts?

Need summat thats ultra cheap to run. Dont care what it looks like as long as it gives me ace mpg, low insurance group etc.

Make and model suggestions please!!

To Supercharged: "Before you say it, no a TDI transplant is not the answer"" :)

Late citroen AX (well you did say

Dont care what it looks like
) :)

They're so light they give great mpg and none of the potentially expensive issues of an old high milage diesel. Plenty of spares from breakers if anything does go wrong.

A pug 106 is a bit more of a car, similar and probably cheaper than the equivalent Saxo, probably get a diesel for under a grand on a P or R plate but I'd go for a petrol.

David.

I'd reckon Jap, only reason I'm sayin that is 'cos everyone knows they are reliable, I can't really recommend something in particalar cos my car list isn't all that great;

- Rover 214 (not the most reliable, but my one did me great for 5 years)

- Now I have the C and a Mazda, but the Mazda is more than a grand.

Nissan Micra 1.0 litre :-P

Golf mk2 Driver

Expensive to insure though mate... (I have one too, and it's crap on fuel, crap on insurance, however, it just won't die and has cost me practically sod all to keep going for the last 2 years... :lol: )

Claret Badger, ah, mines a 1.6 and is group 13 (same as a GTI! :| )

Blimey.. you can get a crazy amount of good, diesel engined motors for £1000!

Near me there is a 1999 PEUGEOT 406 Estate 2.0 LX HDi - full history, etc etc at that magic £1000 point. Crazy!

yup, valvers were much higher insurance than the 8Vgti for some odd reason... :|

So what are we sayin?

For a car of this age(8-10ish yrs),is petrol or diesel the way to go? Are there pros and cons to each type of engine at that age?

the 205/306 D turbo would be a very good bet, as would a citroen ZX TD. I would avoid n/a diesels if poss, I had a 205 1.8grd, very reliable indeed, but also a bit sluggish. or perhaps even a mk3 gold tdi. jap cars, honda civic would be good, but less mpg.

cant go to far wrong with a 306 td. I used to have one and had a lot of fun in it. 550 miles out of a tank costing 47 quid and i never used to spare the horses. (not enought to spare).

I would personaly avoid Citroens like the plague. poor build quality on cars of the N,M,P age and electrics are a bit on the dodge side in my experience.

not really, thats a bit of a misconception, I had a zx td, and build is the same as any french car really, can't speak for others but my electrics were fine. Just had a look on ebay, and there are some intergalactic mileage hdi's going very cheap, LOL.

So what are we sayin?

For a car of this age(8-10ish yrs),is petrol or diesel the way to go? Are there pros and cons to each type of engine at that age?

You can get something much newer than that for a grand - skoda anyone? from L reg onwards its pretty much all VAG, my Grandad swears by them and has done since his rapide in the 80's! Saw an '01 Fabia (SDI) for £2400 so felicias must be pennies!

I'll defo be getting a fabia as my daily driver once I start my new job.

from L reg onwards its pretty much all VAG, my Grandad swears by them and has done since his rapide in the 80's! Saw an '01 Fabia (SDI) for £2400 so felicias must be pennies!

I'll defo be getting a fabia as my daily driver once I start my new job.

aye but the VW quality didn't really shine thru til the Octavia and Fabia appeared..............had a Felicia as a courtesy car about 4 -5 years back and it was pretty horrid