Sign in to follow this  
Fez

A whopping extra 30bhp for 200 quid...?

Has anyone put one of the the below on their G60, if so is it worth getting one.

Cheers,

Fez

Jabba Sport Chip & Pulley Kits- G60

Comprimising chip, pulley & belt tensioning adaptor, easy to fit - the chip slots in and out replacing your exisiting one and instantly takes your car from 160->190 BHP.

Title Awesome Part # Price

Chip & Pulley Kits- G60 EN-SU-CP-KIT £195

Found the ad http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/vw%20corrado/engine.html

Personally, I'd speak to Darren at G-werks about a new belt, pulley and SNS chip rather than getting the Jabba one... G-werks/SNS is now generally accepted to be a better setup for your engine and give a better power delivery for your money too... ;) 8) (they're cheaper too at £185 according to their website... http://www.g-werks.com 8) )

They really are almost as simple as they sound... change the pulley, change the pulley belt for a slightly shorter one (don't use the adaptor, they're crap) and then the tricky (well, relatively anyway) bit is to get the ECU out, open it up and swap the chip over... 8)

Indeed.. SNS chips are regarded as some of the best you can get for the G60 and people who've switched from Jabba -> SNS have reported marked improvements in not only MPG but the smoothness of the power delivery and performance :)

so how much extra stress would this put on the engine, Does it shorten life of an engine and do you need to change any other things from standard before doing this

im imagening that the charger will need servicing more reguarly?.

The engine stress in increased obviously and it would be well worth looking at getting a separate oil cooler to keep the oil temps down.

Aside from that all it does is to make the charger work harder; smaller diameter pulley = more charger rpm, this increases the boost hence more HP and torque and as such the charger will wear faster.

As Henny said nice easy mod to do but I would make sure your charger is in a good state before fitting one.

colourblind, yeah, it'll drop the charger rebuild period from around 60K miles down to around 35 to 40K instead, and it's worth getting the charger checked out BEFORE fitting any smaller pulley just so you don't make it do a good impersonation of a grenade... :|

The rest of the engine will hardly show any difference in wear, but it's worth changing the oil a little more frequently (around 5K miles) and, as Yan says, sticking on a better oil cooler...

Definately THE modification to start with on a G60... 8)

yeah well i think when i bring my new one back to blighty i'll be getting a rebuild of the charger and the oil cooler does sound a good idea i've heard there about 150 pounds fitted

allthough the chargers is still giving 1500 ish on the maf

cheers guys and sorry for jumping on your thread fez

adios!

I've got a Jabba chip and 68mm pulley and my car does NOT make 190 bhp. It's tosh! :)

You probably forgot to install the Ecotek valve at the same time...

:roll: :D

I reckon you'll need a stage 4 charger aswell, at least to get 190bhp, prolly a big intercooler too!

yeah well i think when i bring my new one back to blighty i'll be getting a rebuild of the charger and the oil cooler does sound a good idea i've heard there about 150 pounds fitted

allthough the chargers is still giving 1500 ish on the maf

cheers guys and sorry for jumping on your thread fez

adios!

1500 isnt exactly good tho is it, thats like just over 7psi :?

As long as the engine is in good condition then you can make this kind of power with just these mods. Jay Renshaws old G60 engine made 200bhp with just a 70mm pulley and chip... all depends on the engine :wink:

As long as the engine is in good condition then you can make this kind of power with just these mods. Jay Renshaws old G60 engine made 200bhp with just a 70mm pulley and chip... all depends on the engine :wink:

Standard unported charger too? :roll:

colourblind, yeah, it'll drop the charger rebuild period from around 60K miles down to around 35 to 40K instead, and it's worth getting the charger checked out BEFORE fitting any smaller pulley just so you don't make it do a good impersonation of a grenade... :|

The rest of the engine will hardly show any difference in wear, but it's worth changing the oil a little more frequently (around 5K miles) and, as Yan says, sticking on a better oil cooler...

Definately THE modification to start with on a G60... 8)

I change my oil every 2.5K,, is this excessive?

way i see it oil and filter is cheap,, :wink:

change my oil every 2.5K,, is this excessive?

way i see it oil and filter is cheap,,

No, thats what I do... the charger is oil fed to it's important to keep it clean!

Standard unported charger too? :roll:

This was the full spec of the engine:

G60 1.8 8v.

Supersprint Cat By-pass

Hidden custom exhaust system

Powerflex Exhaust Mounts

BBR Chip

RSR Charger Outlet

Stage 4 Charger rebuild

71mm Motorsport Pulley

Completely rebuilt

Samco Boost Hoses

200BHP and 193lb/ft of Torque

Ok so not quite just a chip and pulley. But it does illustrate that with very few mods the G60 can produce big power, as long as the engine is strong :)

The FMIC is the first mod i'll be doing - Darren reckons its a 15-20% power increase !! Not a cheap mod though