Sign in to follow this  
rixy

Corrado Storm

Hi, i've recently got me little mits on a Metallic Green Storm,The car is in mint condition internally and externally, and so far, does not have ANY modifications on it, not even an exhaust! I really want to stick some coilovers on it, and slam it for shows on maybe a nice set of 16" TH Lines, but thats it! Is it worth doing this, or is the car worth more just left alone? Sorry for the big signature by the way, in the process of changin it at the moment!

Well, the mods you want to do are reversible anyways, so i wouldn't worry about it too much!

besides, i don't think that modding a storm is sacrilege anyhow - a campaign, now that would be different! :lol:

Agreed, i'd go for about a 30mm drop at least (check with insurance company how much extra bunce you'll have to pay)......but I'd keep the solitudes on...all part of the Storm identity. Definitely keep all the original parts.

besides, i don't think that modding a storm is sacrilege anyhow - a campaign, now that would be different! :lol:

:p 8) :lol: :wink: :roll:

cheers GIXXERUK for resizin ma pic 4 me, saved me the hassle, have changed it over now!

the storm is only a badge!! :wink: :lol:

abooooo!!

well it is only a badge,if it was on the log book as a storm like the golf vr6 highline then it would be a different matter

these really should have been numbered off the production line , any other limited edition is

yep and easier to track numbers that was..vw wernt thinking at the time.. :(

My Puma Racings all had their build numbers cast on the inlet manifold, it was a nice touch but then again the mods that they went through and the money they charged for them they needed to be easily identifiable

vw wernt thinking at the time

They're not a VW thing, ie. Germany, it was a marketing ploy to sell UK cars by VAG Marketing at Milton Keynes (UK) so the only thing VW did thro' Karmann was to build a special order Corrado on exisiting options. Hence why there are no special unique options other than the two badges and the Sony radio/CD plus an additonal paint colour - Mystic Blue. Things that didn't require any development costs to put on the car and easy to do.

The badges didn't get fitted or delivered to Karmann. They were tossed into the cars at Grimsby Docks. Thats why a line of Storm rear ends will look odd in a group photo as the badges got stuck all over the place in the bottom right side of the rear panel. The fitter didn't always use the instructions precisely despite there being an exact official position for the rear Storm badge. The rear badge couldn't be fitted at Grimsby Docks by one fitter as the cars were "waxed up".

Note in the picture - Wot no badge!

I seem to remember the Mk1 & Mk2 Sciroccos were released not at the begining of the "new plate" registration year point in August but in the traditional low period after March to June when the "new year" plate sales had died down. "Storm" models for Sciroccos was done to boost the model's sales when competition from other maker's coupes was at it's worst such as the Opel Manta & Vauxhall equivalent. These cars seriously worried VAG - UK at the time from reading the sales instructions to dealerships.

The same with some Corrado model releases such as the 8v - released to counter loss of sales to the Vauxhall Calibre of a similar model standard in the UK at the bottom end of the price range, hence why the 213 8v's are unique to the UK market. VAG-UK had them specially ordered, initially with the 2E engine 1994 model year and in 1995 model year with the ADY engine code.

The Corrado Storm is slightly exceptional in that it besides being a marketing ploy to boost sales, it was also to commerate the end of Corrado production (another sales pitch??). After all, if you had £22,500 (£23,000) in your pocket were you going to buy a coupe which was already declared finished. Well heeled Joe Public had choice elsewhere and VAG knew that. So, the last cars needed something more to shift them, hence Storm. The Corrado had been a good slow sales turnover giving prestige to any dealership showroom. Even then it took M, N & P plates to do it - almost 18 months from April 1995 to September 1996 to shift the Storms and presumably almost similar for all the Corrado new car stock. (I nearly bought new a red VR6 in August 1996)

Given the Storm chassis numbers, about another 400 popped of the lines at Karmann in LHD & RHD form until the final one was requested by VAG UK to be a RHD Storm model.

History.

i had a ADY 8v...i miss it alot actually.. :?

RW1, you really are a wealth of knowledge...do you mind if i ask where you get so much info from?..do/did you work for VAG or something?..just out of interest :D

i dont suppose you know exactly how many ADY's were made do you?..i seem to remember it was around 50?

Haven't owned & driven anything but Karmann cars (S & C) since 1st January 1983. (That will put a big smile on Tempest :) )

"do you mind if i ask where you get so much info from?.."

The library in bedroom 3.

50? I think there were more as almost that many exist towards the end in the last two months. As the engine was introduced from January 1995 (to June 1995) so more like 75 to 100 at most would be realistic.