Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

cats eye cameras

No need for me to rant.. though i've had to bite my lip.

But this just gets worse and worse.

ahh the nice mr brainstorm again..just so happens to be in charge of the north wales police,only last week he was saying he doesnt want to persecute motorists but educate them,he was saying the police force would offer 3 points and fine or driver education classes and no points..think he need to reread his policies!!

So nice to be following in the footsteps of a country like Malaysia...

The Malaysian constitution does not recognise any right to privacy.

In 2001 Malaysia became the first country in the world to introduce compulsory biometric national identity cards.

In January 1999 "it was announced that Muslim couples married in the Malaysian capital will be issued cards with computer chips so Islamic police can instantly verify their vows and the police will be equipped with portable card readers." [ privacyinternational.org ]

Whoop-de-do :?

As it happens, Richard Brunstrom was doing a web chat on the North Wales Police web site today. It took the opportunity to ask him directly.

Word from the man himself:

-----------

RBrunstrom: Good afternoon/Prynhawn da

Mon Oct 10 2005 14:00:39 GMT+0100 (BST) User adviser entered room

Musicman: hello

RBrunstrom: Hello Musicman. Do you have a question?

Mon Oct 10 2005 14:01:53 GMT+0100 (BST) User frog1 entered room

Musicman: Yes, thanks. I was wondering if the report on Sky News' web site today that you were announcing 'plans to hide' speed cameras in cats' eyes were accurate? - I wasn't able to find anything about the story in other media.

RBrunstrom: Musicman - I haven't see SkyNews website but I can assure you that the report is totally inaccurate. It is possible to hide a speed camera in cats eyes but we have no intention of doing so.

Musicman: Accurate journalism strikes again :)

Mon Oct 10 2005 14:05:17 GMT+0100 (BST) User fmc entered room

RBrunstrom: You are dead right. You have probably noticed when you read a story in the papers that you know about personally that they always get the details wrong.

------

So, it's hooey.

lol - that was all rather well timed. Thanks for finding that out.. I can calm down a little more now :D

I did get a rather more interesting response to a follow-up question on use of Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras, though:

------

Musicman: I was wondering what your views are on the limits for data retention and use of information gathered from Automatic Number Plate Recognintion systems. How long should it be retained? What purposes should it be put to in law enforcement outside of matters directly related to traffic policing?

RBrunstrom: Good question. Give me a few minutes and I'll give you a good answer.

RBrunstrom: Musicman - ANPR cameras are primarily used for crime fighting.

RBrunstrom: They are to catch criminals (who are very vulnerable when using the roads), people with no insurance, people who refuse to pay their car tax, people with no driving license, wanted people, people who refuse to pay their fines etc, etc. We have agreed data retention times with the Information Commissioner because of course it is necessary for us to be able to show that we have destroyed information about the innocent use of the road by innocent people, so generally speaking, we keep the data only for a couple of months.

Musicman: So you would rule out the use ANPR data for monitoring of suspicious patterns of movement?

RBrunstrom:Musicman - no. Sorry I didn't make myself clear. We definitely do use ANPR cameras to monitor suspicious patterns of movement. We know that the vast majority of people using the roads (95%) are law abiding citizens who deserve to be able to go about their business without hinderance by the police. The other 5% need to be dealt with by the police and this includes monitoring the movement of active criminals. We want them to know that we are on their case.

------

So, he has no problem monitoring your journey patterns using ANPR and using that information to target you for investigation if they think you're up to no good from where and when you're going places. :?

The Times Online http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 37,00.html

Top traffic cop wants to hide speed cameras in Catseyes

The covert speed camera studs have been developed in Australia, which was visited by two of Brunstrom’s colleagues last year.

The cylinder-shaped device is topped with a reinforced lens that sits just 4mm above the ground. It works in conjunction with an infrared stud, which provides illumination for the camera without flashing in drivers’ eyes, and a detection stud which calculates speed.

“It will mark you out in a line,” said Brunstrom. “It is all about bringing road policing into core police work.”

Brunstrom believes the camera studs should be deployed only on roads where there is evidence of persistent offending

Just out of curiosity, if my 35 mile journey to work had these placed at 5 meter intervals, how long would it take to pull them all up? :lol:

Just out of curiosity, if my 35 mile journey to work had these placed at 5 meter intervals, how long would it take to pull them all up? :lol:

Depends on the circumstances Baz, if its before you get a ticket - a while.

After a ticket, a lot quicker! :lol:

i can see JCBs going down the road with the bucket down!! LOL, they were tested in spain for the british cops some time ago iirc

Quote:

"Speed cameras normally have to be clearly visible, according to government guidelines. Police are allowed to conduct covert enforcement only in exceptional circumstances where “extreme car drivers or motorbike riders” are engaged in high-speed racing."

I'm so screwed!

Chris

These cameras are already being trialled in Scotland and somewhere down south, although they are not being used to prosecute anyone they are there and it wont be long before they find someway to say that they reduce traffic accidents or some complete and utter rubbish

Kinda worrying that he thinks 5% of the people on the road are engaged in criminal activity. Next time you sit in a traffic jam, think about that statistic... Is it you?