Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

weerd stering

morning again - my stering is abit weerd - when i go to overtake its asif im driving on ice :o ... like the wheels are abit woberly in any direction - anny ideas ?@ thanks lads/ladies ;)

My Corrado used to feel the same when the tracking was badly set-up. Worn ball-joints are also a leading cause of uneasy and vague steering.

Yep, I had a new ball joint fitted yesterday and that got rid of any vaugness I had in a straight line...

I can highly recommend the Biessbarth (VAG) machine Stealth have invested in, the car has never felt so planted!

Might also be worth checking your tyres for 'eggs' as that was the cause of my recent instability.

Cheers,

Tom

My alloys seem a bit egged. I think that this could be the cause of instability feeling over 60Mph. A few companys have advised me to get a new set, but i dont want to spent £££ when its not that. I think a visit to Stealth is needed.

OK VR6, check the spiggot rings are'nt damaged , this often causes problems, these seat in the alloy and sit on the hub

spiggot rings, is this the spacer between the alloy and hub?

The tire pressures are fine. I went on the motorway on the weekend and im getting alot of feedback (not shaking) through the wheel, which was never there before.

I got my alloys checked out and on was out of shape. I got it repaired and balanced/tracked and still no joy.

spiggot rings, is this the spacer between the alloy and hub?

yes mate, they can often get deformed or even lost :-( but you would def know about that ...

Each alloy has a spacer. I put the original speedlines on when I was getting the alloys redone, the sensation went, but was still there. When I put them back on it came up again. Imp so puzzled, As I live in London Stealth is a bit far, but imp still willing to trek up there to get my baby looked at.

I'm afraid I don't agree with the comments about spigot rings...

Spigot rings are only there to help guide the rim on to the hub... they don't carry the weight of your wheel - that’s what the bolts are for! If it did carry the weight of the wheel then you'd have to push very hard to get it on... basically once your wheel is bolted to the hub there will be a very fine gap between the wheel centre or spigot ring and the hub, therefore IMO a spigot ring will have nothing to do with wheel wobble or vague steering! If you're wheels do wobble or you have vague steering then check the tightness of your bolts...

This was explained to me by a reputed wheel refub shop and an engineer so I have no reason to doubt its truth!

Im going to get my mate (Ex AA) to drive it 2nite, I think its down to one of the wheels being a bit wobbly, even tho i got it fixed :(

The car doesnt seem to handle that sured footed ne more.

im baffled

Phil K, bought some wheels for my bro's cossie from wheelbase and had problems, demon tweeks put new spiggots in and it was fine ? who knows ?

OK VR6, have you tried changing the wheels around ? ie, front to back ? the rear is much more tolerant , just a thought

ive tried changing the wheels around, and it did feel slightly better, however the tracking when completly out, as the tires are directional, I can simply change "back to front"

GIXXERUK, Fair play mate... I guess it's just one of those grey area's!

OK VR6, Could it be buckled? I had a bent rim on my Golf and it made a noticeable difference to how the car handled...

Phil K, I was told that the rim was bent. I got it repaired (they said that it could any be repaired to about 80%, however it should make that much o f a noticeable difference as it is doing. I don't even remember going into any diverts and I avoid speed bumps religiously.

Strange

hmmmm... depends how bad it was before and how much 80% really means :?

as GIX' suggested try putting it on the back if you currently have it on the front (prob best to swap both sides)... I found that helped on mine and really only left me with a bit of vibration at speed.

After investigation, it looks like one top mount has gone, an dboth back wheel bearings.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how much these parts cost?

The C is leaving my pocket a bit dry :x

If you can get your little finger (or any of your bigger digits) between the rubber and the top plate of the top mount, they're goosed.

1J0 412 249 is the bearing £4.44 each

357 412 331 A is the top mount £12.58 each

both plus vat

£40 for both the bearings and top mounts inc vat