Sign in to follow this  
Nikki

Company car opt out scheme

I have the option of opting out of a company car scheme and am looking around for alternatives, thought about a Fiat Coupe but have been put off by reliability concerns and high maintainence. I can't find any useful owners views on the Corrado on the net, can anyone help?

I am an estate agent :cry: so it needs to be practcal for daily commuting and business etc but a bit wizzy for weekends. you veiws would be appriciated

Welcome aboard Nikki :)

I would suggest that you go for one of the 8v or 16v Corrados, as they're nippy enough for a bit of fun, but don't have the horrific running costs (both petrol and parts) of the G60 and VR6 versions.

The valver engines are also the same ones that were used in numerous Golfs and Passats of the time, so if they do need parts, they're fairly inexpensive.

As most people will probably agree with - Corrado ownership can be a bit of a love/hate relationship. They're fantastic cars to drive and look at, but they do have a slight habit of having bits of trim fall off and/or break from time to time.

If you get one that's been well looked after, then you'll be driving around every day with a huge grin on your face - make sure you get an HPI check done to ensure it's not been written off and take a copy of Corrado Buying Guide & Checklist with you when looking at one :)

And of course, if you've got any questions, post up on here and we're more than happy to help :)

Bear in mind that once you've driven a Corrado, you won't want to get out though! :lol:

Oh and I'm gonna move this to General Car Chat as you're not actually selling a car...

my mates an estate agent and he bought a jag and the company he works for pays for all insurance and servicing and repairs,so all he does is drive around in his jaguar..is yours the same deal?

Nice Job, they jusy give me an allowance each month for all running costs and give me a mileage allowance for business miles.

i would personally get a well looked after vr6,in the 3 years i had mine i spent next to nothing on repairs,all i had to buy was wear and tear items..i have no idea why people think running a vr6 is expensive :wink:

I'd let the amount you get plus what you are prepared to pay on top decide what you can afford to run.

Most Corrados are going to need attention in a number of areas with the youngest being 10 years old.

I bought a G plate 1990 16V for under a grand and it'll get to the next MOT but will require some workshop action to get through.

If you spend upwards of 2000 you should be buying something with a bit of pedigree.

Bear in mind that most folk on here are a bit more discerning and will replace things before they are shot away. Normal folk won't spend money on stainless exhausts and suspension unless really pushed.

I would look for one that has been looked after by a 'spotter' for want of a better description. That way anything and nearly everything will have been done and the car should run with few problems.

Just be aware that although the C shares lots of parts from lesser VWs, the body is Corrado only and therefore accident damage can easily write one off.

Choose wisely and ask questions first.

Gavin

Oh and welcome to the forum

Also looking for performance statistics, fuel consumption figures, insurance groups and favourable companies etc. :?:

http://www.corradoclub.org/specifications.html has all the stats on the various Corrado models.

Not sure about the others, but the VR6 is group 18.

The insurers that most people seem to use are...

Adrian Flux

Brentcare

Chris Knott

Elephant

But f you have a search for 'insurance', you'll get a whole load of useful info about good and bad experiences people have had with insurers. It's also worth taking into account any mods you might have planned for the car and what happens in the event of a write-off - are the mods covered, will you be able to buy the car back and will you get a sensible pay out? (Bear in mind the book prices for Corrados are very low)

There's also a biiiig list of insurers here

I do approx 1000 miles per week in my Aqua Blue G60 - just gone past 137k - I chose to opt out and even allowing for maintenance costs I'm still quids in - I do have a rolling programme of preventative maintenance but its all budgeted for, keeps the car reliable etc etc

I'm in the same boat, but chose to sell the Corrado rather than run it into the ground (had it 6.5 years anyway, it's time for a change I think!).

In terms of maintenance, mine has been expensive recently - over 400 quid spent on top mounts, rack gaiter replacement, water pump, cam belt and tensioner - but in general it has been pretty good. I don't find the parts too expensive, apart from of course the charger.

I bought my G60 regardless of doing 70+ miles per day, and actualy find it better for fuel consuption! However, my drive is 'a' roads cross country, round town that would be different.

Good luck with the search!

Good point - just for the record, on motorway/A-road long journeys I'll get 35mpg if I use a light right foot, 30mpg if I submit to the occasional urge to "boot it" :)

I drove from the Midlands down to London (Oxford St) then back out via Richmond to the M3 and down to Winchester on Monday (occasional sustained periods of heavy right foot, must be my lumbago) and still averaged 31mpg. Not bad, considering the time I spent crawling through London.

Hi... welcome aboard...

my 2ltr averages 32 mpg around town and 38-40 on motorways/A roads, which I am pretty happy with as I've had other smaller engined, newer cars that have done less... the parts arent particularly expensive either which is good as mine has needed a lot of them!!! the most important thing i'd say to you though is get one with a history thats been looked after, or you'll end up where I am!!!

where abouts in the country are you?