Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Chinese 4x4 Scores 0 in NCAP testing..

I don't see how "showing off" and "4x4" would fit into the same sentence Eric ;)

Still - some people are so desperate to be part of the SUV elite (and I use that word in a heavily sarcastic way) that they'll sacrifice performance, handling, reliability AND the safety of their occupants just to get there.

so desperate to be part of the SUV elite

Yes, that's what I was after, so I'll buy this baby then, shall I? Selling the Rado should buy me, ohhh, 10 of these, one to trash each year :lol: SUVs all the way :lol: Only kidding, folks ;-)

AC DC fan club for a sec there

ADAC=Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil Club, in case you wondered :lol:

Tempest

Its a safe bet that on-one on here would buy one but I wouldn't want to be involved in an accident with one either.

The combination of poor handling and bad design are a deathtrap for not only the drivers but everyone else too.

As for the Japs 'nicking' our motor industry, yes they did, they visited Triumph in the late '60's and took a lot of ideas away. The reason we don't have one is because as they got better we went on strike and the build quality was shite.

dr_mat, Late Corrados DO have some side impact re-enforcement in the doors... That's one of the differences in the door design...

As for Encap results, the Corrado wouldn't do that horrifically... it's a well built, solid car, so the passenger cell tends to stay pretty much intact in a collision. The bits it would do badly on are impact absorbtion ('cos it's crumple zones ain't that big) and the fact it's not got any airbags...

Personally, I still feel that the rally car school of car accident management takes some beating... Full on seam welding, roll cage and use whatever you hit as the crumple zone... ;) :lol: It's not particularly pedestrian/cyclist friendly though.... :|

Yeah Henny i've fully seam welded mk1 for muchose stiffness, the only problem with that is the decelaration (sp) it tends to mangle your internal organs. Just have to not crash :lol:

Personally, I still feel that the rally car school of car accident management takes some beating... Full on seam welding, roll cage and use whatever you hit as the crumple zone... ;) :lol: It's not particularly pedestrian/cyclist friendly though.... :|

That's actually how the Smart works - it's too small to have any crumple zones, so it's just super-rigid and assumes that what it hits will crumple instead.

That's actually how the Smart works - it's too small to have any crumple zones, so it's just super-rigid and assumes that what it hits will crumple instead.
Not much fun if you crash into another Smart though . :o

lol very astute!

I didnt like watching that at all,

the drivers wheel collapses under the floor,the dash and steering wheels thumps the drivers chest,face and arm.

Terrible !

But there's no weight to them and they don't go very quick, so maybe they just bounce off like bumper cars? :lol:

Not much fun if you crash into another Smart though

That's 2 (not so) Smart cars gone, then :lol:

Tempest

I've been looking about for ages for the pic I saw in Car just after the Smart came out. There was one somewhere (I think Germany) that had been in an accident and rolled onto it's back and was pointing straight up in the air :lol:

Can't find it on google anywhere tho :(

dinkus, yeah, I'd seen that one too... it just bounced off whatever it was it hit and landed firmly on its arse! :lol:

Bro found this. . .

Chinese Alter Cars After Crash Test

23 Oct 05, THE SUNDAY TIMES (Summary)

CHINA / EUROPE --- The first Chinese cars to be imported into Europe will be modified after failing crash tests. The JiangLing Landwind 4x4 will be fitted with a reinforced frame, redesigned steering column and modified fuel lines.

The Sunday Times last month revealed how the Landwind had “catastrophically failed” tests carried out by the ADAC, the German equivalent of the AA. That story went around the world, threatening to hit Landwind’s plans to sell 1,000 models across Europe by July 2006.

Now the Dutch-based distributor of the car is fighting back, claiming that the car performed well in a separate test conducted by German certifying laboratory TUV — albeit only after a number of engineering improvements were made.

In an ADAC video the Landwind’s steering wheel was shown striking a test dummy’s head during a head-on collision at 40mph. Peter Bijvelds, head of distributor Landwind Motor Corp, claims the ADAC misled the public by implying its tests met legal standards. “We will take legal action if they do not withdraw this conclusion,” he said

Marketing bull, typical ;-)

I trust the ADAC. Chinese cars may ultimately get there, but like their Japanese counterparts many years ago, still aren't there yet. Never mind the dull styling ... ;-)

Tempest

So if they bolt a load of crap onto the car it might make it slightly safer so that it'll (just) pass a crash test. Well that's re-assuring to know :?

And TBH, I don't give a monkey's if the test in that video met legal standards or not - it was still horrific.