Sign in to follow this  
fla

soldering onto dash bulb holders

I've replaced my dash clock lights with a red led strip. Just thought I'd try soldering some spares leds I have into the holders only they just dont seem to want to! the solder just beads and rolls off. Thought it was because of the resin on the surface so gave it a good ol' scrub with emery and needle file but still no luck. Any other ways of attaching the led legs to the connector? I was thinking of putting some tiny screws in there. Any other better ideas?

you could just buy relacement led bulbs off ebay , probably not what you want to hear though

as Supercharged, says try tinning them

Yes its the tinning process that wont actually take place. You have to tin most wires etc first anyway otherwise it wont work (in my experience).

I suspect there is a anti-corrosion coating on the surface. Need to carefully emery the surface to get through to the metal.

kevHaywire, what else would you suggest? A20 LEE, i've just got the fluxed solder but its worth trying with some fresh flux. Its the metal tabs on the sides of the holder which I'm referring to, just ni case anyone is not clear.

dazzyvr6, if the glue conducts then great, otherwise if it gets between the led leg and the connecting pin it wont work. If there is a good "metal glue" to use it would be ideal. Thanks anyway.

you need a SERIOUSLY hot soldering iron and a very fast soldering technique to be able to solder onto those... (I can normally do it without blowing/melting the LED, but it's not easy... ;) )

you was on about a glue that will conduct, im sure you can get something that you use for the elements in the rear window heater for when they have broke i dont know if that will work

Halfords or any motor factors has that stuff. Comes in little bottle but just check with a meter from the rear connection pins to the point of contact you can get a circuit.