Sign in to follow this  
Dub_nut_g60

how many revs till what temp?

It's because the car takes so long warming up when it's idleing meaning that the engine will wear more. By driving the car gently from cold you may only take 5 mins to warm the car up whereas on the drive it might take 10 mins to warm up.

Normally after 5-10 minutes of idle the temp gauge is still showing ---, but by the time I get to the end of my road (+/- 100m) it's showing 60. Another 100m (to the highway) and she's showing 70+, so I can then get upto 120kp/h straight away.

It also drives alot smother after a 5-10 minute idle as opossed to just starting and driving. If you let her sit an idle for 20 minutes say then it's not so good, but max I let her sit for is 10 minutes.

Dutch

My G60 rarely goes over 84degrees oil temp, so if I was waiting for 90+ I'd never get to use her in anger!

I wait for the oil temp gauge to register over 55degress before I go over 3K or use more than 1/2 throttle and over about 65 until I cain the living hell out of her! :lol:

That said, she's not exactly slow under 3K and 1/2 throttle, and I'm normally driving in traffic until she's warmed up, so there's no problem there... 8) :twisted:

Some of us lucky ones of course do have an oil pressure gauge in the centre console :D

Oil pressure from cold is at least 4bar at idle (and thats in the summer- bet its fair whack more at below freezing), whereas at warm it looks more like 1.5bar. So yes- I guess if you ragged it from cold you could be looking at 8bar plus :shock:

Did a little experiment on the way home friday, kept checking the idling oil pressure as the temp went up. Although by 70 degrees (oil) the pressure is starting to drop at idle, it's not really until 80 degrees that I get the normal variation in pressure from 1-4K revs.

So I reckon any earlier than 80 degrees and you're really increasing the pressure if you hammer the car to the redline, that's on Quantum silver on a 16v.

David.

makes naff all difference I reckon.

How many cars have you heard of died from bursting seals under oil pressure?

I think we are worrying over nothing here.

BTW:

I bought my Ninja

Is that legal? are you part of some sort of slave trade, and can he really pretend that he is dead for days on end? :lol:

Geez, you must a big old oil cooler?

Nope, it's a big shiney NEW oil cooler! ;) :p :lol: 16row Mocal where the original intercooler was with a 90degree thermostat on the feed to it... 8)

Oh, and there's a 12" hi-flow thin fan on the main radiator too which is wired to come on flat out on the lower thermoswitch setting which helps keep the temps down a bit... ;)

That or he's running a bit too rich :-)

yeah, she's running a little rich at the moment too, but that's 'cos the head gasket's blowing so I've tweaked the tuning a little to stop her overheating... :oops:

She'll be better for the Rolling road session at Stealth though... 8)

I actually had a few problems at Santa pod getting the car upto temp when waiting in the queue for the strip... most other people were pushing their cars down the waiting lane trying to keep 'em cool while I was driving mine trying to get the temps up a bit! :lol:

makes naff all difference I reckon.

How many cars have you heard of died from bursting seals under oil pressure?

Dunno, depends how well the G60`s seals withstand the pressure I suppose?

god i feel like the boring old mother of the forum, as i never go over 3k before 90deg's and even after that i rarely go over 5k! unless a passenger wants to see her go :(

This car has certainly calmed me down!

That's my train of thought also. By the time I get to the dual carriageway in the mornings, the water is at 70 and the engine starts to feel responsive, so that's when I boot it. I rarely look at the oil temp since fitting the mocal as it's always around 98 regardless. I have a damn good oil in the engine so I don't worry about waiting for a particular temperature to arrive.

Henny, my oil was running at 88 degrees on a run when it was overfuelling like mad. Now that it's running as good as it can do at the moment, the oil temp has gone up to 98, where I like it to be 8)

In my VR I wait till it gets to 84 before going above 3K- I rarely take it above 5K anyway... (except in 2nd occasionally :D ) It usually settles between 98 and 104 normally..

In my mk2 8v I wait till 80 before taking above 3K- it usually settles between 84 and 88

Not only does waiting for the oil temperature to rise decrease the pressure you are running at in the system (protects seals etc), but as the oil temp increases, it's lubricity increases, becoming properly effective at around 80 degC, this protecting all metal on metal surfaces properly. So, although you'll probably get away with ragging it from 60 degC, if you really want to protect your engine, wait til 80 degC. This will also, of course, depend on which grade oil you're using, as they all have different lubricity / temperature curves, but 80 degC should be fine.

We have the same issues with aircraft engines, and I remember we had great fun defining the cold-start emergency requirements on the UK Apache, because not only did we have to protect the engines as they warm up, but also the main rotor gearbox. This ultimately defined how quickly the pilot could take off in an emergency. (Although whether the pilots actually follow that in a push-comes-to-shove situation, I have my doubts!)