Sign in to follow this  
zeb_8888

VR6 2.9 Various questions

I've just been lucky enough to buy a 2.9 VR6 with 90,000 on the clock. It seems in good enough nick, but has yet to have a replacement clutch. Although it's not slipping at the moment, I've been advised to look at replacing it at about 100k. Can anyone suggest a reputable supplier / fitter in the London / Essex area and could anyone give me an idea of what I'd pay? Also, the fluid in the power steering reservoir is on minimum and it says in the handbook that you shouldn't just topit up but should take it to a VW dealer for an inspection of the system. Is this just a VW precaution and do you think it'd be ok to just top it up myself (I can't see that air would have got into the system as it's on minimum rather than empty). Lastly, can anyone advise where I should look first to get the electir mirrors working - could it just be a fuse? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me on this. Regards, Zeb

Why would you "need a new clutch" at 100k?? Unless the car has been abused I'd say the clutch should last for 200-300k.

Timing chains are a different matter, but again, check it before you fork out cash.

You're the same guy who asked this question on the yahoo group? You didn't provide any of that background over there!

Because when the pressure plate springs travel past the "half way worn" point, the clutch gets very heavy and the bite moves to the top of the pedal. That is one reason to change it. The friction disc might last 200-300K (it won't btw), but I'm afraid the other associated parts don't. You hear stories of people running 300K+ from the orginal transmisson, but I bet the clutch was changed at least once....

I'm sure those 500k miler R32s on ebay a while back had only had one new clutch in that time.

If the engine's off, and you're feeling wealthy I suppose you might aswell replace it, and particularly if you're doing the timing chains so the whole clutch has to come off.

When I got my 95K VR6, power steering fluid was near "min" when cold.

Despite having been serviced and checked as Skoda Approved Vehicle (no jokes please, they will be out of date, Skoda are a lot better!).

I just bought correct fluid from VAG dealer, (be sure to do this) removed as much of old fluid as poss and topped up (system has to be at working temperature to be reading level at "normal" mark).

No problems at all.

I'm sure those 500k miler R32s on ebay a while back had only had one new clutch in that time.

If the engine's off, and you're feeling wealthy I suppose you might aswell replace it, and particularly if you're doing the timing chains so the whole clutch has to come off.

Yeah but with that mileage in such a short period of time it obviously wasn't being used for 'normal' driving - it probably had less wear on the clutch that one that is 5 years old with 80k's on the clock...

Yeah, mostly motorway work.... i.e. Far fewer gear changes and stop-start traffic.

A lot of people change clutches when the release bearing gets noisy and it would be plain nuts to drop a box just to replace a bearing :-)