Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

Interior Fabrication

Some of you lot have done some seriously awesome interiors and speaker box installs.

What do you use for custom pods? I am modding my dash board but don't really know the best material for the job, P## body filler was popular in my Lax Power days but surely there are some lighter/more professional materials to use nowadays?

i prefer using fibreglass resin on cheap stretchy acoustic cloth (maplin speaker grill cloth works well) you can then layer some fibreglass matting on top to add strength.

just make some formers and stretch the cloth over them and then coat it in resin and let it harden, that usually gives a nice organic shape.

or you can also use smooth synthetic fleece fabric which takes on loads of resin and becomes very strong once the resin has cured.

i have also seen people use hard foam which is then hand carved or sanded away to get the desired shape.

any way you try will probably be quite messy but the easiest way i have found is the acoustic cloth covered with fibreglass matting.

edit...................oops too late ^

Fiberglass is great if you know how to work with it, it can be a real pain. Also over time it will start to crack as the sun beats down on it. At my shop we use, what we commonly refer to as "liquid ABS". It works great and it wort crack from being in the sun. Ill check on the real name for it and post it later.

Ah yeah I;ve been reading a few things about ABS plastic fabrication, looks very factory - liking what I've seen so far and it's tidier (although smellier) than fiberglass.

I havent noticed that its "smellier" so far. I have been using it in very small amounts though. The stuff I use dries really quick. I just used it rebuild the center console in my dads '87 Scirocco, I moved the radio opening up to the position and vise versa. It came out realy well.