Sign in to follow this  
BarneyVR6

Idle speed too low

The Haynes Technical Data Book (.pdf file) I've got specs. the VR6 idle speed as 650 - 750 rpm so you're OK ish.

Is the idle lumpy/uneven?

If so could be the well known coil pack and/or O2 sensor problems, do a search on the forum and you should get loads of threads.

Yeah idle is quite lumpy and the exhaust pops a bit when the engine is revved, and i don't think it's as efficient as it should be. Now you've mentioned it that would suggest an O2 sensor problem. Am going to be pulling the plugs as soon as my leads arrive and replacing the distributor cap and rotor arm, plug leads, and plugs so I'll see what condition they are in.

It is actually quite normal when revving the engine high for the exhaust to splutter a little as it comes down through the revs.... its just the ECU chucking fuel into the exhaust :lol: :lol:

RPM for idle specified by VW is 680rpm....

If you look on top of your engine where the idle stableizer is and the the thing that you push to rev up the car from the engine, there should be a little round white thing that you can adjust (rolls) with your finger. Not sure if its there on the VRG but it is on my G60.

Just move it either way to adjust where the idle sits.

Its very simple. You have to take off the lead holders and on your throttle cable you have a samll clip. Move the clip up a notch or so till it takes a bit of slack up on your cable and it will hold the revs up. 2 second job when the cover is off.

Make sure you dont take it up to far, turn the engine off and floor pedal and make sure its not too tight otherwise you will streach it and have to use engine tweeking to lift the revs.

My car burbles when you rev the car, its a nice sound so dont worry. It could be running a bit rich if it really burbles alot.

Could be that your sparkers are not firing on all six.... check each one for a healthy spark.. you will know a healthy spark if when holding the disconnected lead with the engine running you receive a mighty sharp jolt down your spine

As a further safety note... I really do NOT recommend doing the above as you could do yourself harm.. and will almost certainly damage your cars 'brain' ... sorry !!!