Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

what gear oil are YOU using??

when i got my g60 i changed to redline mt90 because thats what eveyone else was using

the syncros are not great ..hasnt got any worse sinse ive had it but theyre not perfect

just wondered if theres any miricle product :lol: thats makes the best out of a bad situation???

ive already spoken to oilman fro his advise, just wondered what your all using

I'm using Motul 300 from Oilman in my G60 box with VR 1st and 2nd to go on my 2Ltr G60. But my box has just been rebuilt again!

Not really - was using MT90 before and was quite fine. But then they are both exactly the same viscosity and Motul is 33% cheaper! And comes v highly recommended by Oilman

Also have a rebuilt box but am using Redline MT90. Mine was a hardcore rebuild though with every single bearing and synchro replaced, aswell as the crownwheel and it's driveshaft. Now that I've done about 5000 miles, the synchros are stunning. Every change (up and down) is perfection....light and precise.

TBH, my box wasn't that shabby to begin with, it was a precautionary build whilst the Quaife went in and the shift quality was almost as good at 120K (pre-rebuild mileage), but the Redline was defo responsible for that.

Had fully synthetic in mine since about '92 (Got the receipt somewhere in a file) and it works just great; nice smooth change up and down.

Redline MTL 90 did make a huge difference in my mates mk II golf though.

MT90 in mine, cetainly made the change a lot more smoother, just glides between gears now. Just a shame the box is aging and every now and again you can feel the cogs syncing. That said its still a better change than the 03 BMW at home.

I've been using a combination of a fully synthetic and a semi-synthetic in my box... it's a combination my local racing team swears by and seems to give a very good smooth change...

I'm not sure if it's any better or worse than whatever used to be in there though, as the gearbox was fully rebuilt at Stealth before I put the oil in it, so this is fresh oil in a fresh gearbox... :|

henny...what combo is that??

colorblind...the official answer is sealed for life, but its wise to change it , the level plug is a 17mm hex on the front of the box, best to look up at from underneath

there's a bung on the front of the gearbox... with the car on flat ground, undo the bung and top up via the hole until you can't get anymore oil into the gearbox... 8)

I tend to change my gear oil every couple of years... Dunno what the reccomended period is though... :oops:

nice one cheers, will have a look you can probally get the oil from the stealers can you? ( not many other parts places here)

steveo29, it's a combo that they've come up with which seems to work very well... :| I've used it in many different VW gearboxes over the years and it does improve things...

Basically, it's a one litre bottle of semi, and a one litre bottle of fully synthetic which they pour into a 2 litre bottle, shake like mad to mix it up, and then lob into the gearbox! :lol:

steveo29, can't remember... it's 18 months since I last did it... :oops: