Sign in to follow this  
greasy weasel

Flood in the passenger footwells!

Hi guys,

Over the last few days I have noticed the windows in the motor have been misting up. Checked the passenger footwell and front and back are completely full of water. This has never happened before and has me a little concerned.

I've read the other blog on here about water in footwells with any of them being the reason, but there's just so much of the bloody stuff. I'm a complete novice when it comes to DIY Corrado repairs, so if anyone can provide pics or an idiot (which is what I am) proof walkthrough to show me what to do to avoid costly garage bills.

Many thanks,

Mat

Seals around the doors.. check that the sunroof drain channels are clear.. and make sure that the plastic skin that sits between the door card and the actual door is completely in tact and sealed the entire way around!

Surely it would absolutely reek of coolant though if the footwells were full of it?

yeh jim, if the matrix has gone the car does stink like stale water, bloody horrible smell, :wink: i know,

don't forget to clean out the area under the windscreen (from under bonnet) and remove the plastic guard box over the heater fan inlet as the seal is bound to be rotton. With all this heavy rain it is sure to be getting in this way.

Mine was soggy as well, turned out to be a hole in the door membrane and perished seal on heater inlet. Just try to dry the thick lagging out under the carpet now - not easy!!

Having not taken the carpet out of my Corrado I'm not sure, but if its removable take it out and stick it in the hot-press (airing cupbord or whatever you want to call it) and leave it over night, that'll dry it out nicely.

Don't leave it there or else it'll promote rust.

As for the leak, door membranes and under bonnet drains as has been said, the fan housing can fill up with water and let it out slowly over time.

To check the doors take a panel off and look for signs of water marking on the inside towards the bottom.

Car doesn't smell at all, coolant is at the same level as before and as far as I can tell the seals around the door are intact. Autoglass had a look at her and don't think it's a windscreen problem.

I got her dry the other day only for it to start raining, but this showed me that the water is coming in the back footwell.

Check the bulkhead for any missing gromets etc

Check underneath car for any holes etc. On mine, one of the screws holding the clips for the copper brake pipes had been hit and broken leaving a gap which i think led to my major water leak...

Good luck on drying out the insulation and carpets, it took me ages to get rid of the damp and smell :roll:

I attacked my car last night, my footwell is very damp with the onset of the monsoon season this week...

To get at the heater inlet to check the seal (I am sure mine is the culprit) -

1) Open the bonnet and lift the wipers off the windscreen.

2) On the far bottom right hand side of the windscreen (as you face the car) there is a phillips head screw. Unscrew this and feed the plastic around the seal on the windscreen.

3) There are three seperate panels across the width of the screen. To remove the right hand panel, there are clips at the top an bottom securing it. These are a total pain in the a**e.

4) You may need to unclip part of the middle section to lift the end panel.

5) Once it is removed you can unhook the scuttle cover (the plastic thing that covers the ECU) and easily access the inlet fan cover. If there is any unwanted debris in there, remove it!

6) Remove the inlet fan housing and replace the seal. I didnt get this far as it got dark and pi**ed down so I cant give more guide than that.

However, there is a very useful thread if you search for "scuttle AND drain". Look for the 7 pager, you will see you aren't the only one!

Oh, another good thing to check is that the drain holes are not blocked up. This is a inch wide hole just beside the plastic scuttle cover above the wheel arch (matching one drivers side). Get a kettle and flush down the hole, if it doesnt come out just behind the wheel on the floor then it might be backing up and causing some overflow into the car.

Good luck!

Andrew

Exact same things happened to mine, bee p*****g down here loads lately, hadnt driven the car for nearly a week.

Passenger footwell and rear footwell are absolutely soaking wet, seats are dry though! Gonna get out the VAX and suck out the litres of water out now..

Any ideas why its only the passenger side?

Cheers.

Exact same things happened to mine, bee p*****g down here loads lately, hadnt driven the car for nearly a week.

Passenger footwell and rear footwell are absolutely soaking wet, seats are dry though! Gonna get out the VAX and suck out the litres of water out now..

Any ideas why its only the passenger side?

Cheers.

Because the fan inlet (the normal culpret) is on the passenger side :wink:

this showed me that the water is coming in the back footwell.

Water coming in at the rear footwell is nearly always the plastic door membrane on that side.

Checked under the windscreen around the heater intake grille..... Found a ton of old leaves and dirt which has turned into compost and is saturated with water!!

Goes to show why it pays to remove leaves and rubbish from these areas as often as possible, mines been hidden and looks like at least 5 years worth.

The seals under the grille look like theyve had it and theyre soaked.

Just checked on etka, there are 2 seals, Part numbers:

191 820 129 , 191 819 166

Gonna see if i can order them from stealers!

Ok then it's my turn but i'm going to be a pain and say the front and back DRIVERS SIDE footwells are soaked!!!!!!!!!!!

Car not been driven since Sunday so i get in for a brake disc saving drive and oh i've got skweaky mat syndrome and my London AZ (£20) is soaked!

Is it possible for these seals to be the culprit for it to leak this side?

I had new tyres fitted two weekends ago and when i got in and closed the door it felt a bit funny like it had been jacked up with the door left open. The door didn't meet the striker bolt cleanly. When i got home the door opended and closed fine so i thought all is fine. Has this made the wind screen seal fail?

Help would also be much appreciated here too.

mine is doing the same passagner footwell soaked also the dash under trays under glove box are soaked. already changed inlet seal. the coolant hasnt moved since i bought it so think its the windscreen seal.

will i have to change the windscreen or just seal?

where can i get it checked out?

If its windscreen seal then its basically new windscreen fitted i believe and we all know what a bugger that can be. Only use a fitter that has experience with the Corrado screen or it pain, anguish and hassle time folks!!!

This is how my passenger footwell looked this morning! :(

Cant believe it, never leaked before! Hopefully its going to stay dry today and will try and have a look this evening :(

I hate problems like this...