Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Sometimes its not worth doing it yourself....

...was going to do the pads on my wifes Audi today, just out of interest got a quote from the AA Service Centre up the road - £56 all-in - really can't be bothered getting dirty to save a few quid

was going to do the pads on my wifes Audi today, just out of interest got a quote from the AA Service Centre up the road - £56 all-in - really can't be bothered getting dirty to save a few quid

Good man. Andy665!

As Groucho Marx said "the best thing about having money is being able to pay people to do things you'd rather not do."

I can confirm that as you get older you feel less inclined to crawl about under/around cars in the cold, getting dirty, breaking your finger nails, scraping the skin off your knuckles, taking all day to do a job that someone who is used to doing it can do in a couple of hours for a few quid.

Having enough quids can be a problem, though.

i had my goodridge hoses fitted at the garage , £50 for the 6 hoses and £40 to fit them !

it isnt worth getting dirty and crawling around bleeding the brakes for £40

bargain !!

i had my goodridge hoses fitted at the garage , £50 for the 6 hoses and £40 to fit them !

bargain !!

Agreed, thats a bit more work, and bleeding brakes is gay.

But 20 minutes tops to change the front pads, at £20, fek that, thats £60/hr. Its the same as earn £60/hr, or pay someone else £60/hr, no brainer!

bargain !!

Agreed, thats a bit more work, and bleeding brakes is gay.

But 20 minutes tops to change the front pads, at £20, fek that, thats £60/hr. Its the same as earn £60/hr, or pay someone else £60/hr, no brainer!

Thats what I was thinking, £20 is about €30 which is well over 24 cans or 7 pints down the pub. (thats the alcoholic side coming out in me!).

I know what I'd rather spend my money on :wink:

Given the choice of spending £20 or messing about doing it myself id happily spend the £20!

I look at it that my time a work is worth £100 an hour to the firm, my free time is worth more to me than my work time, so more than £100 an hour, if i can get someone to do the work cheaper than what i think its worth for me to do it then ill happily spend money!!

After my MK4 broke this weekend I managed to get the parts for £20 (thanks to Nelson_Wilbury) and an Audi technician came to where my car was broken down and did the work to fix it for a very reasonable £30..

Its worth paying someone to do the job if its a PITA and they have the tools / previous experience. They can get the job done a lot quicker than you, and know that it'll work properly when its done ;)

Hmmmm, true in some cases, but in some cases the only way you can be sure of it being done right is to do it yourself.

I will agree that for some things its easier to get someone to do it for you, like the garage I know that changed by cousins G60's timing belt for €20 in labour, but changing brake pads is a 4 bolt and a cup of tea saturday morning job.

I just do not trust anyone to do anything on my car, at all.

I guess thats means I spend more time on it than other people, but at least I know its right.

I will be going over it when it comes back from its repairs, just to make sure everything is right. Its the first time it has been anywhere without me doing the work and I hate it.

Jay

but in some cases the only way you can be sure of it being done right is to do it yourself

I will be going over it when it comes back from its repairs

Same here, I sometimes have to pass over certain jobs to garages, but I generally hate doing that. Not so much because of the £ spend (which I then still feel ripped off for), but mainly as I just don't trust anyone on my babies. I generally always re-inspect work done by garages, which they hate me for.

Last one job done by a garage was to repair the seized rear calipers. Not happy with the job (enough to pass the MOT), I did the lot all over again, this time using Mk4 Goof calipers :lol:

Tempest

Tempest

I get mates to do mine whilst i stand around and watch. costs me a couple of beers and i get to see friends and oversee the work.

The G's just come back from respray. Its going back tommorrow coz im not happy with it. They can keep it till its right!

Given the choice of spending £20 or messing about doing it myself id happily spend the £20!

I look at it that my time a work is worth £100 an hour to the firm, my free time is worth more to me than my work time, so more than £100 an hour, if i can get someone to do the work cheaper than what i think its worth for me to do it then ill happily spend money!!

You get paid £100/hr, is that after tax? LOL...

tbh just for brake pads i would do them myself, i couldnt be bothered with the going, leaving, picking up etc for 20 mins work

I just do not trust anyone to do anything on my car, at all.

Likewise, far too many monkeys out there.

You get paid £100/hr, is that after tax? LOL...

unfortuanatly not! thats what my company charges for my time! i get paid a fairly small % of that!!

tbh just for brake pads i would do them myself, i couldnt be bothered with the going, leaving, picking up etc for 20 mins work

well, on a wet saturday afternoon with no garage to work in...

the place I took mine to did the 20min job while I waited, saved me the hasstle of getting grubby and I got to have a butchers at the owners sl 600 merc while i hung about, horses for courses I guess, but to me its £20 well spent because I CBA to do it ;)

chrishill, Aye i did think about that after chris , i should of added it depends on the weather conditions ;-) i've got a garage but its full of "stuff"

well, on a wet saturday afternoon with no garage to work in...

the place I took mine to did the 20min job while I waited, saved me the hasstle of getting grubby and I got to have a butchers at the owners sl 600 merc while i hung about, horses for courses I guess, but to me its £20 well spent because I CBA to do it ;)

Aww come on, wheres the fun if it dont pi$$ down as soon as you get started! :)

Had a new clutch put in the Golf a couple of weeks ago.

Bearing in mind that this was the original clutch coming out of a 14 year old car,I only got charged £99 for the labour-the car was in for a day and a half.

Blown, Clutch is probably the only thing that I'd get somebody else to do. Complete arse of a job.

Yeah,I knew that,which is why I took mine to a garage.

Afterwards,they told me it had taken three mechanics,a stepladder and a crowbar just to get the gearbox off. :shock:

I didn't want to hear anymore...... :lol:

Umm, i could'nt agree more Andy. And im afraid a garage just makes you more likely to smack your elbows on things!

This is how mines been for nearly a week now, £20 seems like a bargain to me in hindsite!