Sign in to follow this  
ollster

FAO all 16v 9a users

Bit of a random post but since having my corrado i have never been happy with the way that the engine performs and as a result i have spent a lot of money replacing parts with little success. its always felt very sluggish and lacking of low down torque.

After learning practically everything about ke-motronic injection i have systematically tested every sensor/component. I have been getting to the end of my tether with it and today i thought i would check the mixture using the bentley info by making a test harness and putting a multi meter in line with the differential pressure regulator and then adjusting the metering flap allen bolt to make the DPR within the specified mA range. When I first fired it up (engine already at operating temp) the multi-meter was running at around 4.5 mA which would mean that it is running far too lean as the book spec is 2.5 (lower the mA the richer) so after trimming it down to an average of 2.5 mA and not expecting much I took it out for a spin and my god what a difference, it jus feels so much smoother and gutsier to drive now. Obviously it had been running too lean all along :D

So to all you 9a users if you are having similar issues be sure to check the mixture!!!

On my corrado I read 10mA, which I think is way far to lean, but when I try to set it lower the engine stops and I can't start it with a lower value. Do you have any ideeas?

my bently is not for valvers, any change of a scan or photocopy? :D

Get a bently manual for the passat. I think I got mine for £20 off amazon.

It has the 9a engine in it.

is that better than a haynes?

I dont know.

But it is the same as the rado bently, just not as big but all you need is the engine part.

I found one, cant afford one right now, but I think i'll invest at some point

ok, im not to good with a multimeter, what setting would i use to do the above and what hole would i use, theres 3 holes top one says 10ADC middle one says VohmmA and the bottom one say COM, any help would be good as im keen to learn these new thing :D

very very good thread! i think i will have to give this a go as mine feels strangled and smells rich! any chance you could stick some pics up of the procedure?

i will try to get a bently manual for the passat that details the 9A

cheers

rob