Sign in to follow this  
chaz g60

brake disks (screw)??

Right, im putting zimmerman crossed drilled disks on my 92 g60 and there of course held on by the 4 wheel nuts but, theres also the screw which a, wouldnt be big enough to hold the disks in place and b, is'nt even in the right place for it to fit with the wheel nuts.

they do hold on fine with just the wheel nuts and i have been told i dont need it but do i??? :roll:

nothing ever goes smooth and simple with theese cars does it!!! :p

The small hole is for the locating screw, which just holds the disk in the right place while you're putting the wheel on.

It nearly always ceases and/or shears off when you remove the disks though, so chances are you'll have a stub of an old one sticking out of the hub somewhere.

You can drill it out and put a new screw in, but if you can't be bothered then just stick the disks on and faff about with the wheel bolts holding the disk in place as you've already described.

Either way, the locating screw isn't necessary, it just makes life a bit easier.

just make sure if there IS a stub that its in the hole on the disc, otherwise you'll get loads of wobble and vibration when braking.

no it's not broken it's in there pretty tight so theres no prob leaving it

cheers.

If you've removed the old discs & the screw is still there - it IS broken. Old disc won't come off, without either removing or breaking the retaining screw.

i just thought it must of been left in there last time, the screws not broken as i can see the cross head?!

wont turn for sh!t though so i left it now but it wasn't sticking out it's in a recess.

I get them out with a through shaft phillips and a big hammer. The screwdriver has flats for a spanner on it, very rare it won't shift them...

Gavin

colourblind, You mean the large phillips screw in the hub - so far as I know, that secures the ABS ring ?

I was talking about the much smaller phillips screw that secures the disc to the hub.

Isn't there 3 screws holding the ABS ring on?

Gavin

Dunno - I seem to remember a large phillips screw head, in the hub, behind the front disc. May have been on my Toledo - can't remember.