Sign in to follow this  
Dutch24V

No bl**dy fan motor now

After recently fixing my heater matrix the motor has decided to give up the ghost now. Well, the fuse blows immediately so I presume the motor is sh&gged?

I cleaned out the scuttle area (which was full of sh*te) and sprayed the motor with wd-40 2 weeks ago when replacing the matrix. Is it just coincidental that the motor happens to blow after this, or did I do something wrong?

Anyhow, question is what other VW's can I source the motor from (I have a '94 VR), or is it a Corrado only bit ??

Dutch

OK, how sure a *think* is that though? :?

Anyone got one or know how much they cost from VW? Do GSF sell them and if so would it be the saem part as VW sell, or a cheap copy?

Dutch

Yeah it's a MK2 Golf part, you just need to swap the thermopack plate over in order to get the correct socket and number of speeds. £50+VAT from GSF.

It's a Valeo part which is an OE supplier to VW, Vauxhall, Ford, BMW, etc etc and the same as fitted on the production line.

Funny you had to do the matrix, mine is being done this weekend.

Were your windows steaming up with a coincidental loss of coolant? I bypassed my matrix last night and coolant loss and steamed windows mysteriously stopped.....defo the matrix then doctor.....bugger and feckin blast. That is the one job I've been dreading over 3 years.....bugger and feckin blast again....

I love it though :-)

lol..sorry...but as I just proved with my suggestion that a guy cleans his distributor cap on his late vr6 ..i've never had a vr6 so know next to fick all about them!!!...i kow its a mk2 part on g60's and valvers though... :D

Ahh, ok, cheers CorradoWales.

Kev, I actually bypassed my matrix 1.5 years ago but only got around to fixing it properly 2 weeks ago. Sods law that as soon as I fix it and get nice warm air the feck*ng motor goes and dies on me!!

Cheers for the info. on the GSF part - looks like I'm gonna be calling them soon then...

Dutch

1.5 years ago! LOL!

The fan is nothing....£50 and 10 mins work. I'd rather do 10 of those than sort the matrix...grrrr.... I like my heat though, so it's being done ASAP. And guess what? I'll be dynamatting the bulkhead when it's out, PMSL!! :-)

1.5 years ago! LOL!

Yep, I REALLY didn't want to do the job :x

lol, blo&dy dynamat!!

Yeah I missed the heat last winter, which is why it was done before this winter set in. Last year I would regularly arrive at work with a thermo. showing MINUS 7 INSIDE the car, and I'd have ice on the inside of the windscreen!

...plus I don't fancy driving wrapped like an eskimo again either!

Dutch

...just spoken to VW and I can get a new motor from them for 104 euros' inc vat, but this DOES NOT include the thermo plate bit. If I want that it'll cost another 55 euro's inc.

Question, as my fuse keeps blowing instantly, what are the chances it's the thermoplate? Will I be OK just ordering the motor or should I get both to be on the safe side??

Dutch

Nah - swap it over first to see...

A knackered fan will draw more current and therefore blow the fuse - as long as the big resister is still ok then chances are it will be fine!

OK, thanks.

Going to order a new motor tomorrow and see what happens then...

Cheers again guys,

Dutch

PS. it seems that most parts I buy here directly from VW cost the same as the same part from GSF, with the current ex. rate. 8)

Dutch

Well, replaced the motor at the weekend and all was well, untill today, when the fuse decided to blow again. :(

Am now thinking of replacing the thermo pack too but sounds to much like a coincidence that the thermo pack packs up 2 day's after sticking a new motor in??

Any thoughts anyone before I throw some more money down the bottomless pitt? (my old motor was binned too so can't get it back and hence a refund!)

Dutch

I had a problem with mine doing that and the connection on the motor started smoking too, chucking black smoke out of the heater vents! The pack had shorted internally so I had to replace that aswell. Worth a go.

Hmmm, well, new thermo pack going in tomorrow along with a new serp. belt tensioner.

I hope that sorts it this time...

Dutch